blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

Sep 2

Behind the Scenes: Episode 7

From Guest Blogger James Bolosh, Vice-President of Event Programming

THIS IS WHEN IT GETS TOUGH!

It always gets a little tense this late in the game. I remember first season when Temple went home – I didn’t agree with the judges’ decision at all. Temple was one of my all-time favorite Design Star finalists and I was crushed. And who could ever forget Robb Mariani from season 2 and Mikey V. from last year? We always wish them all the best and hope Design Star has a positive impact on their careers.

Moving on to your questions:

From Gail, 1 day ago
It seems like there is too much repeat footage, and not enough of the real design process. I would like to see more substance and less fluff.

>>I’m not exactly sure what you’re talking about. We never repeat any footage in the show. We can barely get the show cut down to time. Some folks want more judging, some want more design. Organize a campaign to make the show 90 minutes next year.

From Lily-Jane, 1 day ago
I am not enjoying this season very much. The “designers” this year are a real letdown. I am a die-hard fan of HGTV. I am not a designer, but I think I could do better than what I’ve seen on this season. In fact, I know I could. Maybe they should start recruiting from the Rate My Space page. I have seen so many beautiful rooms posted that blow away anything these people are doing. Also, I don’t get why they give them such limited time? I can see limiting the time for some challenges, but why not on some challenges give them more time so that we can see what they can really do? Would any professional designer walk into someone’s home and do everything all in a matter of hours? I think the designs would be so much better and much more fun for us at home. I hope they read these comments – I want this show to be great. Right now, I rate it about a 1 or 2! Also, Genevieve is my least favorite. I don’t think she is near the designer she thinks she is. I have see some really awful designs from her. Love Vern and, of course, the best of them all, Miss Candace Olsen!! She is amazing and could teach them all a few things.

>>Sorry you don’t like the show and thanks for taking the time to write about it. We do actually recruit from the Rate My Space page. And if you think you have what it takes to be the next HGTV Design Star then “put your money where your mouth is” and send in your tape for next year. As for Genevieve, I totally disagree – she is extremely talented. I’ve seen many rooms she’s designed firsthand and let me tell you she is absolutely the real deal. Her critique is always spot-on and she was, in my opinion, an amazing addition to this year’s judging lineup.

From SusanS, 1 day ago
Thanks, GGG. I was just watching some of the episodes from season 1 and Cynthia in particular seemed to care so much about the contestants. She often was as upset by the elimination process as the people on the chopping block. That, to me, is the hallmark of a truly great judge.

>>Cynthia was an amazing judge and one of the nicest, most creative people I have ever met. She’s an uber-talented fashion designer and a wonderful mother to two beautiful girls. Her designs are stunning. If you get a chance you should check out her website at www.cynthiarowley.com. I had the opportunity to see quite a few of her runway shows and they were always so creative and exciting. Cynthia Rowley rocks, and she was sorely missed this season.

From Guest, 17 hours ago
I’m an interior designer and a huge HGTV fan. I agree with other posts regarding giving the designers more time to complete designs – I think we would see much better results. I also think that the designers should be given more assistants.

>>Wouldn’t be much fun to watch then, would it? Also, in real life interior design -not in a competition setting – takes months and months to complete a room. If we followed your “model” of doing the show it would never get produced.

From SusanS, 1 day ago
Just happened to think, Mr. Bolosh – wouldn’t a show with Cynthia and/or some of your other designers that mentor budding designers be great?

>>That’s a great idea, Susan. In fact, there’s one coming. Be on the lookout for a new series called Armchair Designer next spring.

From Lisa, 7 hours ago
This show was so rigged from the beginning.

>>I always have a favorite question of the week and this is it! I cut off the rest of what she said because it was all so ridiculous. Design Star is not rigged. Quite the opposite. This is a competition – there can only be one winner. It sounds to me like you’re a little “sour grapes” and connected with one of the contestants. Hate to burst your bubble, but nobody knows the winner until after the final challenge is adjudicated and a winner chosen. Nice try, though.

Well it’s down to the final three and next week is a very big challenge. We couldn’t come to Hollywood and not make over celebrity homes, right?

Thanks for watching and for keeping me on my toes.

Cheers!

Posted at 2:41 pm

309 Comments

1. Why wasn't the real cost of the pergola stated? According to a blog by the aunt of one of the contestants they canceled the costly one and substituted one that cost half the price.
    I heard the pool fencing was replaced but it should have been mentioned. Such a huge safety issue and the law in California.

kay on September 2, 2009 at 2:56 pm
  2. Yes your 'editors' left a big chunk of the solution out!

DV14 on September 2, 2009 at 3:04 pm
  3. Why did you find it ok and even more disturbing, why did everyone within your HGTV team lie to all of us about what really happened???
    You would have gotten the same if not more ratings with the truth. You did not have to let everyone down with your lies and by withholding the truth.
    The cost and kind of pergola.
    The fact that the fence was bought and installed.
    What purchase really caused the overage.
    Before I leave for good, I want answers.
    We the use to be fans, deserve answers and finally to hear YOU.. HGTV tell the truth…!!!

mandysmom on September 2, 2009 at 3:05 pm
  4. I think that you have some really valid comments already sent in but it seems you aren't interested in sincere viewer review. I have watched each season, and am an avid watcher all year. The show is not up to par this year in comparison to years past. I have a design background and you could make this more realistic by giving the designers construction help and more time to complete the designs. Watching rooms being partially finished or shoddy workmanship actually detracts from the show. I'd recommend replacing Genevieve with someone like Lisa LaPorte. She is such a strong designer and would be a good blend with Vern and Candice. Genevieve is the weakest link in your judges line up.

Pat on September 2, 2009 at 4:06 pm
    • I agree- JB's comments seem very passive aggressive (to which he'll respond – I don't know what you mean.) lol

buellerbueller on September 2, 2009 at 5:22 pm
  5. Lily Jane made the best comments (one day ago). She has hit the nail on the head so to speak. I also am very disappointed in all this seasons contestants. They all lack the glitz and pretty much common sense. I really don't want to see a show hosted by any of your hopeful design stars. I love show, please next time give us better choices. I love it when at the end two people are so equally great, it would be such a hard choice to make, not this time. Sorry.
    Joan in San Antonio, Tx.

Joan on September 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm
  6. Well, Mr. Bolosh, drama is certainly the name of the game this season. What's the buzz at HGTV, is everyone pleased with the conflict and controversy created this year?

For my part, as I've previously posted, I found little to enjoy in the Outdoor Challenge episode. If I wanted THAT kind of drama, I'd be watching other networks that are known for their tabloid style TV programs.

Nonetheless, I'll be looking forward to a more pleasant viewing experience with the Celebrity Challenge coming up. At least from the previews, it appears to be much more upbeat than this past challenge. Focusing on, and editing, more for the design detail rather than divisive drama will be a welcome change of pace.

DBCoop on September 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm
    • I thought the Outdoor Challenge was a creative idea in that it forces the designer's to think outside the box (the home). In other words, for interior work, throw on some paint, find the focal point of the room and build around that. Furniture placement, window and ceiling treatments to be incorporated, rugs, accessories. But an outdoor space should also feel like an extension of the home, incorporating a great place to sit and enjoy the view of a cascading water feature, a fire pit or gorgeous garden foliage, walking pathways, sitting areas, possibly play areas for children or entertaining friends. Where was the focal point or the WOW factor in this yard?

@Cybercatxq on September 3, 2009 at 10:24 am
  7. It is now crystal clear why the fans were cheated out of the right to vote for this year's winner. The manipulation of facts and outright lies broadcast by the producers would have left HGTV wide open to a scandalous lawsuit the likes of which have not been seen since the infamous quiz show scandal which nearly destroyed television game shows. When the producers chose to blanantly misrepresent the facts to the public, it would have heavily influenced the voting results and the network would have been guilty of rigging the contest. As it is now, the FCC should still investigate to determine if the judging panel was deliberately lied to as well – or if they were provided the real facts.

JRM4 on September 2, 2009 at 6:40 pm
    • The FCC does not regulate Cable networks.

Jeff Curtis on September 3, 2009 at 9:11 am
  8. It is now crystal clear why the fans were cheated out of the right to vote for this year's winner. The manipulation of facts and outright lies broadcast by the producers would have left HGTV wide open to a scandalous lawsuit the likes of which have not been seen since the infamous quiz show scandal which nearly destroyed television game shows. When the producers chose to blatantly misrepresent the facts to the public, it would have heavily influenced the voting results and the network would have been guilty of rigging the contest. As it is now, the FCC should still investigate to determine if the judging panel was deliberately lied to as well – or if they were provided the real facts.

JRM4 on September 2, 2009 at 6:40 pm
  9. Maybe its true that the show isn't fixed…You don't have to because you have been lieing all along.
    What makes you think we can't handle the truth What gives HTV the right to make things seem one way that is not true.
    Is your excuss that it is TV/ Or how about We didn't lie, just edited the show!!
    Very cute!
    Is was an out right lie to fans of the show and it was wrong to do so!!!

mandysmom on September 2, 2009 at 8:05 pm
  10. Seriously folks. Jenny at MF&MB hits the nail on the head with this show. How can you honestly go over budget with what they did???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
    Replace the bring with concrete??? What???
    Please read My Favorite and My Best. She makes this comical http://myfavoriteandmybest.blogspot. com/2009/09/next-design-turd-part-doo.html

mike anderson on September 2, 2009 at 8:31 pm