blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

May 19

Design Star Season 6 Premieres July 11

HGTV’s top-rated reality competition, HGTV Design Star, returns for a dynamic sixth season on Monday, July 11 at 9/8c. Acclaimed HGTV interior designers Genevieve Gorder, Candice Olson and Vern Yip return as judges and will be joined by special celebrity guests throughout the series.

Genevieve Gorder, Candice Olson, Vern Yip

We also have two familiar HGTV faces joining the cast this year. Tanika Ray, host of the new series HGTV’d, will also be hosting Design Star, and winner of season one David Bromstad comes back to mentor the new contestants.

Tanika Ray

New host, Tanika Ray

David BromstadMentor, David Bromstad

Check back soon! We’ll be revealing the new cast of competitive, creative designers.

Posted at 5:10 pm

92 Comments

1. No Clive?

Josh on May 20, 2011 at 9:09 am
    • I am just glad that it is not another HOUSE HUNTERS. ENOUGH ALREADY…..

jamina1946 on June 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm
    • It's good that they realized last year didn't work without a host. But they really need to bring back Clive.

mowgo on June 18, 2011 at 10:58 am
  2. Can't wait ~ it's the HGTV Summer show I wait for each year! If I were 10 years younger & hadn't been in a bad car accident, I'd be on the show in a heartbeat! Thanks, HGTV, for bringing it back again this year…

Brenda on May 21, 2011 at 7:40 am
    • Why can't you be?? It doesn't matter how old or young you are.Don't let your circumstance determine if you pursue your dreams or not. You did go through a terrible accident,not taking away from that,but why don't you strike out and prove you can overcome anything! I hope to see you next year :)

Remember you can do anything!

Hannah718 on May 24, 2011 at 10:56 am
      • You Go Girl!

Megan6767 on June 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm
  3. awesome love the show been waiting for it again forever, but they MUST bring clive pearse back!:)

crazedfan on May 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm
    • I agree. Hated last season. I see Tanika Ray is going to host. Yawn. I'd much rather have Clive

Debi on June 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm
    • Absolutely need to bring back Clive. I tried to watch it without him last year, but I couldn't stomach it. If the new hostess and David B. don't make it interesting this year, someone needs to realize that Clive made the show.

Nancy on June 20, 2011 at 9:59 am
  4. Once again, not having Clive and turning the show into a negative, reality show feel destroyed it for me last year. Too many group challenges. Too many really strange challenges. We have enjoyed Design Star every year except last when we actually weren't interested enough to watch the last several episodes. Please take it back to a more positive atmosphere with Clive, more individual challenges and leave out some of the wacky challenges like designing a room based on a musical instrument or flower or travel pack from NYC.

GHB on May 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm
    • I agree with everything you just said. Bring back the old Design Star!

AWW on May 24, 2011 at 10:23 am
    • I agree 100%. I looooove'd design star and last season just ruined it for me. Really bizarre and not even enjoyable to watch. I pray the old design star returns. I am sooo disappointed about last season's changes and really hope that the producers got all of the negative feedback. Has anyone heard??

nurse12 on May 26, 2011 at 1:39 pm
    • completely agree! Give them real life situations (who wants an instrument room) at every turn and see what they make of them. Like turning a kiddy room into a tween room with the majority of americas budget…not much…$500 and see who can really get it done. Then give them a $1000 budget to get a bathroom done…$1500 for a dining room and so on and so on… Most of us can do great things with big bucks and carpenters at our disposal but who can knock it out of the park as if your one of us at home when you don't have a lot to work with. And there's enough reality TV drama on other stations, HGTV doesn't need to stoop to that level…there's too many talented and still interesting "normal" people out there. I want to see someone like me develop on the show and really learn and discover that they can do it too! Maybe I should try out??

Lisa VonFelden on May 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm
    • I couldn't have said it bette myself. Last year's show was a little to wacky for me. I loved all the Design Star shows prior to last season. Please…..if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Becky-OKC on May 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm
    • I'm wondering if the same producers are doing the show this year? Mark Burnett ruined DS last year, so I hope he's not back.

mowgo on June 18, 2011 at 11:01 am
    • Didn't really get to know the contestants. And ti felt like all the challenges were the same-"design a room based on (fill in the blank)"

Debi on June 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm
  5. No Clive! Not on Sundays! What's up!!!!???? Stick with what works!

thousandacres on May 22, 2011 at 6:04 am
    • IKR! I'm already not liking this new setup. Where's the old Design Star? And I can't believe they switched it to Mondays. How inconvenient!!!

Mark on May 25, 2011 at 7:45 am
      • it is really convenient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie on June 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm
  6. Echoing some earlier comments, 'Put it on Sunday! You boast how it's a top rated show, then you go and change everything about it. Fire the new marketing guy, and go back to the old day and time, and if Clive wants to do it, bring him back too. I predict a big fat flop with this format.

Rickapolis on May 25, 2011 at 9:42 am
  7. I didn't care for last season but I still can't wait for season 6. As much as I did like Clive, I can't start bashing the next season before it starts. Who knows? maybe Tanika Ray and David Bromstad are just what DS needs to surprise us again. I just hope Dooce is back for commentary. Congratulations to all the contestants who were chosen, and good luck.

CharlesD on May 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm
    • David should make a good mentor. But I've seen Tanika on HGTV'd, and she's cute and perky, but no Clive. She's more along the Paige Davis mold, which is fine for the HGTV'd. But DS really needs someone like Clive.

mowgo on June 18, 2011 at 11:03 am
  8. Last season was so ho hum. I am looking forward to better things for season 6.

Carl J on May 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm
  9. You Guys are going to LOVE this season! Promise!

spacelifts on May 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm
  10. Until last year, really enjoyed the show. Last year, waaayyy too much Vern and too many idiotic challenges. I'll give it a week or so, but if it is anything like last season, I've got better things to do.

Kgb on May 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm