blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 12

David on Episode 1: The Highs and Lows

Mentor David Bromstad shares what he thought about the contestants’ first designs. Who committed major design don’ts and whose room was the biggest disappointment?

David Bromstad

Which designers made the worst mistakes? Watch for David’s from-the-set take.

Want more Design Star? Watch all videos from episode one.

What do you think the biggest design faux pas of the night was? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 8:56 am

16 Comments

1. I have to agree – I loved Leslie's taste in furniture! The placement of everything in that room seems cohesive. I also loved (surprisingly) Doug's graphic wall paper! I would be soooo scared to pick it out for my own place, but the use of it was fantastic and together with that mirror, it looked great.

love314 on July 12, 2011 at 8:38 am
  2. Relax placed over the fireplace was the most offensive design element to me. I dislike words on walls & stating the obvious. Loved the graphic wallpaper in the other bedroom. Looks like this season should be much better than the last one, don't you think?

Modhatter on July 12, 2011 at 9:12 am
  3. The mirror really made that room and it was a gutsy call but he pulled it off. Agree this season will be much better, higher quality group!

Turks11 on July 12, 2011 at 11:14 am
    • Plus no Mark Burnet!

Marie on July 13, 2011 at 3:32 am
  4. If only they had gone with the teal instead of the tangerine.

Ellen on July 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm
  5. Overall, I agree with your comments and the judges pick of the challenge winners. I’m glad HGTV brought this challenge back and had the guts to do so in an $8M location! Big kudos! Along with you, I loved Doug's graphic wallpaper choice and also would have liked the entire wall done. However, I would have played up the funky architecture of that wall by painting the inset areas black so the paper would have stood out even more. While I liked Cathy and Leslie's room, I was not inspired by it. There was nothing in it that made me say, “I want to do this or that somewhere in my home.” For the rest, their rooms had hints of good inspiration, but only hints. I’m expecting a few of them to step it up while some will start to fade away.

MiamiGal on July 12, 2011 at 12:59 pm
  6. I am so glad to see David Bromstad this year. He is always a breath of fresh air. And can the hostess – Tanika go and buy a personality? The contestants seem to be up to the challenge this year…look forward to the white room challenge…..

Stylewatcher on July 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm
  7. Totally off topic – I want to know where to find the fantastic red chevron wrap dress that Blanche wore in the elimination. Fabulous!

Jzu on July 12, 2011 at 10:42 pm
  8. I agree with the judges pick and challenge winners. On the other hand everyone in this years episode is a Designer. I would expect much more from all.

Louise on July 13, 2011 at 5:47 am
  9. Loved Leslie's design selections in her room. Cathy, why are you so angry did not see any great design in that tacky bench?? Hopefully Leslie will have nicer partner next week. Off the subject, but I dont get Emily's show ? Not sure how she won last years design show? Her rooms on the show stink and why design one way and then change the room totally. Only impressed with the coffee table Leslie picked out for the room she had and the dining table rocked.
    good luck to all
    Bilia >

jerry on July 14, 2011 at 9:47 am
  10. The biggest faux pas had to be sticking those doily-like things to those horrible WHITE walls in that horrible unfinished bedroom. That designer HAD to go home and did.
    I know all of us are thrilled to see the improved format this year and having David on the show every week is the absolute BEST thing ever.

Lesley on July 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm