Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 13

3 Questions With Design Star’s Producer

Design Star Producer Loren Ruch

Design Star host Tankia Ray, producer Loren Ruch, David Bromstad and HGTV art director Chris Moore.

Ever wonder what really happens on the set of Design Star? We caught up with Loren Ruch, the show’s producer, to get answers to three of your most-asked questions from episode one. Get his behind-the-scenes take after the jump, plus watch a Loren from HGTV’s Facebook page.

Do the designers have to live in the rooms they design?

Great question, and the answer is definitely “no”. In reality, the women designers share rooms with the other women and the guys share rooms with guys – so, as an example, even though Meg & Tyler designed a room together doesn’t mean they both get to sleep in it. And one more thing that people find interesting is that the combinations change as designers start getting eliminated from the show…so if a bed opens up in a two-person female room, one of the designers from the three-person female room may move into it mid-season to keep the rooms from feeling lopsided.

How many hours a day are the designers on set (or on camera)?

The designers are virtually on camera 24 hours a day – no joke! We shoot our challenges for about 12 hours, and then we shoot them in their apartment for approximately two to four hours in the early mornings and late evenings. The other hours are spent sleeping – we want the Design Stars to be well rested since the tasks are so labor intensive.

Everyone was also very interested in the coffee table that Leslie used in the great room.  Where did it come from? Also, did it have a rubber odor?

I, too, LOVED that coffee table that Leslie found! It was from a store called Montauk Sofa, and you can find it on the front page of their website. It had no odor, whatsoever, and was truly a piece of art. Best of all, it had an incredible amount of storage (as you saw when Kellie was able to lie flat inside of it) – which is really important, especially in New York City, where closet space is at a minimum!

Missed Loren’s live Facebook chat? Watch it all here right now:

What questions do you have for Design Star’s producer? Tell us in the comments below and Loren just might answer them next week.

Posted at 11:42 am

42 Comments

1. Watched the new design star last night and I can say is Cathy Hobbs….what a bee ot ch! Yikes, she is mean nasty woman.

Mac on July 13, 2011 at 10:30 am
    • totally agree! she has some serious issues… And people are voting for HER to get her own online show? I would never watch her online! (or TV for that matter)

Jen on July 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm
      • Totally agree

Joni on August 4, 2011 at 10:20 am
    • Cathy's eyes take all my attentipn. I keep waiting for them to pop out of her head. How distracting!!!! Get her out of there. On top of that she is so bossy, selfish, and full of herself.

Paula on August 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm
    • Boy do I agree about Cathy. She is the most combative I've ever seen on Design Star. And to add to that, she's not even a great designer. She really needs to go.

Loretta on August 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm
  2. Tanyka ever take a camera challenge? She is horrible. Did not like her on HGTV'd. Where is she from? What design background?
    With all the talent you have—please!
    I also hope you will not just be doing group design again this year–show nothing. If so, I will not be watching.

It was such a good show the first 3 years!

Sophie on July 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm
    • Where is Clive? Please bring him back. Tanika is just annoying!

TX Kay on July 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm
    • Sophie is right, she may be fun to work with and a HGTV junkie (so am I) but that does not make her a host or even likeable!!!

Cynthia Clark on July 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm
  3. Totally agree with Sophie…why did you take Clyve off the show….I do NOT like that woman Tanyka….Please bring Clyve back!!!

Norma on July 14, 2011 at 7:28 am
    • Completely agree. Clyve was great. Tanyka has a horrible camera presence. She just seems so intrusive every time she is on camera. I have to mute the TV whenever she is talking. Really lousy choice for a host.

Valrie on July 19, 2011 at 8:04 am
  4. I still miss Clive Pearse. What is he doing now? Tankia is OK (may like her better as time goes on), but Clive had a definite positive presence that just made the show feel welcoming. I did enjoy the first episode and felt the right designer went home. It will be interesting to see how the show & designers develop. Really looking forward (as every season) to the white box challenge.

Beatrice on July 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm
  5. I want Clive back too!! But fans rarely get what they want. I also would like to see more individual challenges. This way you can see the designers style for each different type of challenge instead of two or three argueing throughout.

luvy4531 on July 16, 2011 at 10:19 am
  6. I really liked Clive- but have not seen him on a recently-made show in a long-time. He may have lost his contract or had out-priced himself or wanted to go elsewhere. COMEON folks- kick off your whims for Clive! For those loving interior design=those who are open to CHANGE, I see those crying because they want the old thing again. I'm bewildered and disappointed- Blog on other subjects- PLLLEEEAASSEE!

WillTryDS1More... on July 16, 2011 at 3:05 pm
  7. I very much liked the earlier seasons better. I too would like to see more of the work, planning and definately the budget.

Priscilla

Priscilla Strong on July 17, 2011 at 7:22 am
  8. Does anyone know the name and artist who performs the Design Star theme song? is it available for purchase?

Michael on July 17, 2011 at 10:56 am
  9. I have to say that although I love Clive too, I thought Tanika (I had to look around for the correct spelling of her name as it's misspelled under the picture above and in other people's comments) was fine and I didn't miss Clive at all. David and Candace are there, so it's all good!

TREX on July 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm
  10. After last season's boring, silly Design Star, I am sooooo hoping they've learned their lesson and have created a classier show with more realistic and practical (instead of silly) challenges this year. At least they've chosen great judges (love them all!) and the ever-charming David Bromstad as mentor. As for Tanika, I think she's doing a great job, but like others here, I do miss Clive.

LynnNM on July 18, 2011 at 8:25 am