Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 15

Go Behind the Scenes With a DS Production Designer

Design Star Behind the Scenes

The view from the Design Star penthouse.

Ever wonder who chooses and designs the spaces for each episode? So did we, so we asked our frequent contributor Brian Patrick Flynn, who also happened to be a production designer for this season of Design Star, to give us the inside scoop.

Head over to Design Happens, our daily design blog, for Brian’s behind-the-scenes take on episode one.

For more insider info, catch our interview with Design Star’s producer, Loren Ruch.

Posted at 9:00 am

8 Comments

1. Where can I get that coffee table in the great room that Leslie picked out?

Terri on July 16, 2011 at 9:21 pm
  2. I wonder if the judges realize how offensive they are when they use "Grandma" as term of abuse. How would Vin feel if bad design were referred to as "Asian"? That would be equally senseless and insulting. Taste and flair do not necessarily deteriorate with age, and not everything young people pick out is automatically better than the choices of their parents and – yes, shudder! – grandparents. Please knock it off.

Judith Akehurst on July 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm
  3. The producers for Design Star have NOT learned anything from last year. They really need to get rid of Gorder and Vern Yip. Yip is 'stuck' in a contemporary rut and Gorder prefers to psychoanalyze her clients because she is not a good designer. I would not let Gorder design anything in my home or my dog house. Did she 'sleep' with a producer to get her spot on HGTV?????Must have because she is NOT a designer. The only reason Yip is still on HGTV is because he is gay!

Helen Wheeling on July 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm
  4. I think the judges are out of touch. They all have their styles and recognize that but then they seem to think if the design stars dont do what they 'like' that its wrong.

I too would not yet Genevieve in my house. Used to love Vern ad Candace but they are stuck in their own star mode and are missing the design aspect. How many more weeks will we focus on choice of coffee tables.?

Kathy and whoever painted those orange walls needs to go…absolute no teamwork within them

Barb on July 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm
  5. Who made the decision to cut the length of the show to one hour. It is so short it is diffucult to actually see the work that the judges are commenting about. I want to see more of the design and hear less of what the judges have to say…

Karen Seeger on July 25, 2011 at 5:58 pm
  6. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really miss Clive! And I agree with Karen…a one-hour show is not enough to really see the process or the results. It's not fair to the designers or the viewers! Love David B as mentor. I'm okay with the judges and actually agree with their winners so far.

Lee Harrison on July 26, 2011 at 10:56 am
  7. First of all, the show is what it is. A design competition with the prize being a life changing dream come true …to be on television. Why do we watch? For the same reason we watch any reality show…to watch real people in competition. Now, couple that with Design, and you have every designer, who is not famous, watching and saying.."I can do that!" or "I should apply and really show them a good designer!" So, bottom line, the show is pure entertainment ! Thank you Design Star, for actually getting real Interior Designers this season instead of the "Decorators"….. And thanks for mixing it up with "guest Judges". Nice job.

Kathleen on July 26, 2011 at 7:22 pm
  8. is the term production designer really applicable to someone working on a reality television show?

production designer on August 7, 2011 at 11:32 am