blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 15

Episode 1 Roundup

We’re one episode in and one designer down. After tackling a New York City penthouse, some stood out, others will need to work hard to impress the judges at the next challenge. Catch up on this week’s top moments.

Posted at 12:30 pm

20 Comments

1. Genevieve + pants = camel toe

zanne ash on July 17, 2011 at 8:07 pm
  2. I think the judges forgot that they were once newbees. I love the show but I hate how critical and belittling the judges can be with their critiques. The first show challange should not have an elimination. This way the judges can see what level of design each contestant is at and how they compare to the other contestants. Then, the judges can critique with some positive feedback, that will help guide the designers, on their competitve path, equally. I don't believe any of these judges had to compete for their shows. They should feel blessed. One of the most successful designers, who won, "HGTV Design Star" and is adored and admired, is co-host David Bromstad. I believe that all the judges, have lost some of their popularity, due to this show and thier negative criticisms, Remember judges, "you're never so good that you cannot be replaced!" exp: David Bromstad!

Katherine on July 17, 2011 at 9:04 pm
    • yah, whatever happened to Clive. Oh yah a terrible year of trying to be just 'reality' show cut him and now bring in somebody younger (Tanika) pretty much like EVERY show left on HGTV. Basically if you hit 40 your days working on HGTV are pretty much OVER even though the MAJORITY of home owners who tune in to learn are over 40.

todd on July 18, 2011 at 9:58 am
  3. IT's the judges job to be critical. They have the responsibility to pick someone that has a legitimate chance to create a successful show for HGTV. A lot of potential money rides on their ultimate decision. In general they do a good job of offering remarks that are constructive criticism. Not everything deserves an "oh that's nice." These people are adults, not 5 year olds showing mom and dad their crayon drawings.

What the judges do is very reminiscent of the process that design and architecture schools use to evaluate student projects, which can be very intense since at the higher levels both the audience of a student show as well as the professors can offer input and question the students on the choices they make. People that go into the profession are expected to be able to think critically and to be able to explain and defend their design decisions. I wish the actually showed more of the judging process, especially since this year it seems like maybe the judges are getting advance knowledge of what went on during the process and how the teams worked. Also, for the contestants that need improvement, it would be good for the judges to say, next week we need to see you improve such and such. Maybe they do this already, but don't show it.

mel on July 18, 2011 at 8:38 am
  4. Glad to see HGTV realizes there was something missing without Clive, but of course had to replace him with a younger Tanika. Under 40 years old is NOT the majority of who watches this show, yet HGTV keeps changing ALL programing for 20-somethings. UHHH, in today's market they are NOT the typical home owner. HGTV needs to get back to what they used to be good at Home AND GARDENING as well as advise on remodeling and building not just buying accessories and realestate nobdy can afford

todd on July 18, 2011 at 10:03 am
    • I agree. Bring back the HGTV from a few years ago. I can't stand the Antonio Project!

Tami on July 18, 2011 at 10:10 am
      • Thank God you feel the same as I do. I cannot tolerate looking at his teeth that need orthodontic braces. I stopped watching his show after hisfirst episode!

Sauda Green on July 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm
  5. I preferred Clive.

Bob on July 18, 2011 at 11:56 am
  6. Has anyone else noticed how little interest there is in Design Star 6, on both the Blog Comments and the Message Boards? Way lower than previous years.

Obviously, most viewers have come to understand that the fix is in for someone, in advance of the "contest," so why bother responding to this joke of a "design" show?

erikcreature on July 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm
  7. Please bring back Clive, and get rid of the overacting too rehearsed Tanika! I LOVE the show, but painful to watch her!

Liz on July 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm
  8. I'm not a fan of Tanika, her speech is too overexaggerated with her diction, (TV is different from the stage) and her pauses between words start to make you feel like you're in elementary school again. I rather liked Clive, but an assistant added might have been nice. I think more positive feedback from the competitors about each other would be refreshing. Most people are dealing with enough negative in their lives right now the way it is, how about a stand-up comedian's point of view to lighten the mood once in a while???

Joyce on July 20, 2011 at 9:49 am
  9. Why are people owning Mobile Homes, not qualified for any make overs or renovations?
    Carol

Carol Giamber on July 22, 2011 at 8:38 am
    • Well it has been done a few times, as far as the advertisers are concerned, how many mobile home owners buy $6,000 refrigerators or stoves?

For the most part, mobile home owners don't have any money, so who cares about them?

erikcreature on July 22, 2011 at 9:18 am
  10. First I must give a big THANK YOU to HGTV for listening to all the feedback from Season 5 and bringing back the "classic" Designstar format. What a change from the dreary reality TV abyss that was Season 5!

I am empathetic towards these people. And other than Emily, I found that I didn't care who won or lost each week in Season 5. (I love you, Emily!) Seeing more of David is always a plus … And Tanika is great as hostess :)

Looking forward to more of season 6 :)

PS. Blanche … Thank you so much for being a good sport about it all … You are truly, one classy lady. I wish you luck!

Kalenedral13 on July 24, 2011 at 9:36 am
    • You mean the viewers are voting for who will win design star? NO? guess your classic design star is BS.

erikcreature on July 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm