blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 22

Sneak Peek: Episode 3

The remaining 10 designers face their first homeowner challenge when they have to give old rooms a new lease on life. Tune in this Monday at 9/8c.

Bret, Cathy and Karl have a power struggle from the start. Will their room be a success?

Posted at 3:30 pm

48 Comments

1. Cathy better go home!!

But she sadly probably wont….

J.B on July 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm
    • I agree. I would not watch Cathy on a tv show, just like I don't watch last years winner (they both seem snotty on tv, even if they are nice in person).

Mrs H on July 25, 2011 at 5:55 pm
  2. I am so disappointed this year that they decided to use David Bromsted and that other woman to be the mentor/hosts. Not a fan of either. More than likely will forego watching this season. Hopefully, it will not be a repeat the next season.

Steven on July 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm
    • Who would you rather see Steven? I simply love the show. It's not the host/mentor show, but the drama between the stars and the pending show cancellation. I think it's hilarious. And, at times you see some real talent coming forth.

Monica on July 22, 2011 at 11:43 pm
    • I agree, particularly with the choice of putting Genevieve as a judge. I can and do choose to avoid watching her show. Her designs are predictable (always the white couch), and her kissy kiss, hug hug, giggle giggle displays toward her clients comes across as phoney and nauseating to me. I enjoy DS but I guess I'll pass up watching this season. Surely there must be more qualified talent out there that is better qualified to judge someone else's work?

Marleen on July 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm
      • I agree. I think Vern, Candace and Genevieve are good designers, but I see little or no "wows" or "out of the box" designs from them at all on their shows. So why do they always criticize someone for playing it safe? In real life, that is how we designers have to work. I think they should be judged on talent, not just who can think of the craziest idea and execute it well.

comeon on July 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm
        • I agree! I love Design Star…but can we PLEASE get NEW judges? Judges that are not rude and stuck on themselves?? I almost cannot watch it anymore if I have to continue to see Vern/Candace and Genevieve think that they are better than anyone…and quite frankly…I cannot stand them!

Mercedes7777 on July 24, 2011 at 4:04 pm
          • I think all of you need step back and think if you know any thing about great design you would never make a comment like that these guys are the greatest the can design that the long and short of it.

leandra Melius on July 25, 2011 at 4:42 pm
    • I want Clive back! He was so good, I still don't understand why they ever let him go. I love David too, but BRING CLIVE BACK PLEASE!

deets on July 23, 2011 at 6:55 pm
      • I like David Bromstad – I enjoy his show and think he's good (even in snippets) on this one. I agree wholeheartedly about the new female host, however … I loved Clive and find the new woman (haven't even bothered to learn her name) incredibly disengenuous and with a vocal style that just rings Access Hollywood entertainment reporter. Plus, she has no design chops that I can see, whereas Clive could at least comment here and there about what could work. I just want her gone as soon as possible, and then I'll be happy with the show again!

Leigh on July 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm
    • You must be crazy David is the best Design star ever and he has mad talent who better to understand what these designers are going through than some one who has been there.

Mel

Leandra Melius on July 25, 2011 at 4:38 pm
  3. I watch HGTV all the time – and even though there are so incredibily many re-runs I still watch it but I have to say that this Design Star show is the PITS. First of all, individuals who are becoming decorators do not have the time constraints and all of the other garbage you add to their challenges but your remarks to the participants are humiliating, mean, and cruel. Come on, they aren't doing brain surgery – you all make it look so SERIOUS when they screw up. Vern Yip is so mean and seems to enjoy that role and as for Candice Olso every room she has ever done is the same room with a few different variations. But I guess our culture and the individuals who will go on these shows somehow crave these sick, mean scenarios. I think it is too bad and I think it is degrading. And you actually picked that crazy man a year or so ago. Every now and then I may catch an episode (apparently he isn't full time HGTV) of his show and he is clearly awful.

K padgett on July 23, 2011 at 7:00 am
  4. Nasty personalities emerge that viewers can see, but why not the judges? Every year someone goes really far who at least once throws someone under a bus who was totally innocent. Shouldn't this play into the judges decision?

Tamar L on July 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm
  5. SOu brasileira e adoro assistir o programa pela Fox Life, embora eles sejam apresentados com muito atraso aqui no Brasil. Adorei o David e a profunda capacidade que ele tem de criar, além da voz maravilhosa que ele possui. Quero mandar um grande abraço para ele e para vocês.
    Sueli

sueli on July 23, 2011 at 4:30 pm
  6. So far I've noticed a bit more talent from the contestants this season. Geniveve doesn't giggle so much on Design Star but that does cause me to turn off her show. She herself is not talented enought to judge anyone else. There are some truly gifted designers on HGTV. I'd like to see one of them utilized as a judge and get rid of Geniveve. Not having Clive on board is a real big mistake and David as mentor….. well, he is trying.

kkat on July 23, 2011 at 7:45 pm
    • I'd say dump in order of arrogance:
      Geniveve
      Vern
      Hostess
      Candace

Keep David and get others in who have talent and constructive criticism that actually can help the contestants. I watched earlier seasons and the show was fun, creative and cohesive. Plus, Todd really helped the contestants make some adjustments via suggestions that made sense. These other judges are only looking for camera time and I've yet to hear or see much from them that make them experts. And, like another blogger said, we don't need to be spoken to as if we're either hard of hearing or under three years old.

Guest on July 24, 2011 at 10:06 am
  7. Can everyone please stop saying bad stuff about the judges, host, and mentor. You may not personally like their style, but they are all well qualified people. And FYI the judges act mean because it's their JOB to critize the rooms! :@ So stop saying that they're all terrible people!

Alex on July 24, 2011 at 10:35 am
    • Ditto, I totally agree with u, man it's just a show to enjoy,if they don't like the judges,etc, turn the channel to "Food Network" or Syfi—chill people!!

Bubba on July 24, 2011 at 1:07 pm
  8. David is an AWESOME mentor. I agree though that the judges have gotten boring. I liked last week with the guest judge.

Louise on July 24, 2011 at 5:10 pm
  9. I love the judges!! Feel they are doing a good job. Everything has been pretty predictable. LOVE David being the mentor. He is ultra talented and right on with design. I do miss CLIVE!!!! Go Design Star.

GLenda on July 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm
  10. I agree. The judges are doing a great job and are all very qualified to do their jobs on this show. It is not like they have Doug or Hildie from the old trading spaces. Please keep the comments on the show itself and not being negative.

kelly on July 24, 2011 at 8:40 pm