blogmeister

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 22

Sneak Peek: Episode 3

The remaining 10 designers face their first homeowner challenge when they have to give old rooms a new lease on life. Tune in this Monday at 9/8c.

Bret, Cathy and Karl have a power struggle from the start. Will their room be a success?

Posted at 3:30 pm

48 Comments

1. Doug was all over the place. I think the judges made the right choice in letting Doug go. Mark needs to stand his ground and not be so one dimensional.

D.Owens on July 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm
  2. I hate the group challenges! The winner wins alone, not with a partner or group so why do they compete together? The runner up to David Bromsted was as good as he is. What happened to her? Design challenges have been boring so far this season. Where are the new ideas to keep this show "fresh"?

Marcia B. on July 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm
  3. I agree about the group challenges. Supposedly, you are supposed to be able to "work well with others", but when you put Mark with someone like Doug, how can you expect there to be harmony in their room. Mark was critized for not displaying leadership in getting Doug to chance his mind about that awful color. Well, Mark tried his darndest but couldn't get him to make another and better choice. Judges, please watch the taping as you go along so you make rational decisions.

Jan on July 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm
    • They did make 1 rational decision; eliminating Doug! Loved his design in the premiere challenge but his personality was a turn off for me.

Marie on July 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm
  4. We want to see the show in Canada too, if not on tv at least on the website. That is so unfair, esp. when we have a colleague and friend on the show

GBB on July 26, 2011 at 1:42 am
  5. I thing Cathy should have gone home with Doug…. All she came up with was a table designed by someone else. By the way not wanting to stay an paint on her own….proves to me she couldn't handle a show of her own
    Mark your only mistake was letting that paint go up.
    If I were Mark I would have changed that nasty wall color asap ! I almost barfed watching it go up ! Doug what the hell were you thinking ? My opinion vote for Mark ! he would make a great HGTV Hosted show, ""The next David ! , He works well on his own , doesn't need any Dougs to bring him down.

Lynn Gramont on July 26, 2011 at 11:48 am
    • I agree. Cathy wanted someone else to do all the work while she went shopping. Gosh, when are they going to send her home? I would not watch her show because she would not do anything. Everyone else would do the work and have all the good design ideas while she went shpping.

Sue on July 30, 2011 at 1:24 am
  6. Well, to me, the right one went home, but, yes, I am not fond of Cathy either, though she is
    the most "professional" on-camera, which will help her if she survives a few more weeks.

I felt they were hard on Mark. He did protest quite a bit and was told, by David, that he needed
    to work as a team. It is hard to work as a team when you hate the vision the other person has
    and the person won't be swayed to budge an inch…

DAL on July 26, 2011 at 2:31 pm
  7. meh. Doug needs to look into working with "fringe" elements. By that I mean there must be a niche for him somewhere. Beatnik bars in Serbia? Drag queen dressing rooms in Cincinnati? Deer stands in Arkansas (great color scheme for that here!)? He has the spirit and wanna-do, just not the wisdom/maturity to pull it off. Hopefully, this has been a learning/growing experience for him. I wish him luck.

Sadly, outside of Karl's backsplash (which was excellent), the only other notable (to me) people were notable for thier failings. Putting a bar between poles is "brilliant?" Really? Choosing a marble topped coffee table (reminescent of pseudo-Euro 1990s) was a saving grace? Dark shelving above a computer was "inspiring?" Puh-lease. I guess the judges had to pick something to praise. And Frankly, Bret's donation to his room was no less pleasing than that coffee table, bar, or shelving. meh. Not enough happened to gush or b*tch about on episode three.

thom on July 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm
  8. I can't stand Vern Yip!! His comments are presented so much more than the other judges… why? This is not the Vern Yip Show! I feel like if the other judges were highlighted more, including the great guest judges, the show would be much more interesting. Right now it seems like whatever Yip says, goes… and he's incredibly annoying and boring.

Dan C on July 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm
  9. RESA – Real Estate Staging Association. They're asking everyone to vote for her on their Facebook page and web site. She's a member of the organization – apparently they haven't seen her in action.

dgm on July 27, 2011 at 6:49 pm