Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 26

David on Episode 3: ‘It Was a Hot Mess’

David on Episode 3

David dishes from the set on which room was a total disaster. Plus, see what David was embarrassed to show the homeowner.

See David’s reaction to this week’s rooms below.

What do you think was the most cringe-worthy moment of episode three? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 2:03 pm

176 Comments

1. Mark and Doug's room was awful. It's hard to believe these 2 are designers. The floorplan was terrible and the color palette was unforgivable. If I was Mark, I would have repainted that accent (puke) wall when Doug was out shopping. Once painted, Doug may have realized he was wrong with his color choice. MAY HAVE…
    Whoa-a dog? No way! sad.

Vanessa on July 26, 2011 at 11:23 am
  2. I believe that the judges made the right choice to eliminate Doug from the competition. I absolutely loved his white box challenge room, but in Challenge 1 and Challenge 3 he had ongoing troubles. As for Mark, I think that if he can't redeem himself to the judges during Challenge 4, he should quickly get the boot.

Brian on July 26, 2011 at 11:36 am
  3. Bret is very forgetable. I remember his ugly brown wall from Challenge 2, but not a thing from Challenge 1. He's done absouletly nothing to prove to the panel that he's a good designer, and it's fairly obvious he's not going to go on much farther. Another middle-runner designer is Meg. She did great things in Challenge 3, but her choice of salmon in Challenge 2 made me want to give her the boot right away. Neither of these 2 designers really shine in my eyes, and I highly doubt that either will win.

Brian on July 26, 2011 at 11:36 am
  4. There are a couple of designers who show tons of potential to be the winner. That Karl is a riot. I love his work, and he's so much fun! He's been a top runner in every challenge, and I see tons of potential in him. Another top runner is Kellie, another big-hearted competitor whose remained on the top. These 2 remain my favorite in the competition.

Brian on July 26, 2011 at 11:37 am
    • I agree Brian. Karl and Kellie are the two best at this point.

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm
  5. Kevin and Leslie are both very good designers. I don't think either of them is up to the level that Karl and Kellie are at, but both have huge potential to get there. The only thing I think Leslie did in this round was make a mural, but hey, she's done wonders in the past, so I see why she's safe.

Tyler. Very forgetable. I have no idea who he is, his style, nothing. I think he might be good, but hey, what do I know? I find it very hard to see him as the winner, but I don't think he'll get eliminated for at least another challenge.

I am so mad with Cathy! Her attitude drives me insane. She's a good designer, not great, though. Unfortunently, I think she'll go somewhere in this competition, but it better not be to the finish line. I don't think she deserves to win.

Brian on July 26, 2011 at 11:37 am
  6. Cathy needs to go! She is all talk and no action. Last night she left her partners to shop, shop, shop and didn't even want to help paint. Really? And why was that table she bought a global perspective? Cathy should be the next person to NOT have her own show.

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm
    • Aren't you sick of hearing about her global perspective? Jesus Cathy, I can't wait till you get eliminated so you can take a nice long vacation!

WPalmer on July 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm
    • Sue, I can't agree with you more. Cathy is pushy, overbearing and definitely not a team player. She doesn't want to get her hands dirty but wants all the accolades and she comes across as very cold. I think other contestants are much more talented and viewable than her. She needs to go.

snappscrappber23 on July 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm
      • Don't worry all the black designers will go.

Wade on July 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm
        • She doesn't need to go because she's black. She needs to go because she has too much attitude and too little talent.

snappscrappber23 on July 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm
  7. I think Mark is getting a raw deal. He was a bit stubborn at first, but he really tried to work at the end of the day. That said………David Bromstad has turned into a complete Jolly Rancher. He reminds of a Gap employee asking if I'd like a pair of socks with my purchase. I'm really rooting for Kellie and Leslie this season because, along with their talent, they have a really genuine kindness and realness about them. David seems really plastic and phony now.

WPalmer on July 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm
  8. Why didn't David criticize Cathy, whose "design contribution" was buying a table?

erikcreature on July 26, 2011 at 12:31 pm
    • I agree…..Bored with the Diva attitude and world traveler references….
      Roll up your sleeves and get to work like the rest of the designers :S

Pat on July 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm
  9. I agree that Mark got a raw deal. He did attempt to try to work with Doug but Doug was impossible to deal with. Mark has done a lot of good work up to last night's challenge and the work he did do with the wood was great! He also tried to arrange some of the furniture differently and Doug put it back so what was the point? Good-bye Doug!

Sue on July 26, 2011 at 12:39 pm
  10. I think they are all good designers but Cathy has TV experience and her own design gig so why is she even on there, not a very good people's person to work with either. Doug and Mark were not agreeing on things that they should have and if you could see the tension I'm sure the Judges did too. I think Doug is a very great designer and he was never in the Eliminating room until last night, and how many other times were some of the other designers in that room and received chances?????? But there still going to be one winner and we maybe in for a surprise !

Lisa on July 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm