Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 26

Emily Talks Episode 3: 5 Standout Moments

Emily Henderson

Emily tells us the top five things that she loved (and hated) about episode three. Plus, find out which designers committed a cardinal design sin in Emily’s book.

Watch as Emily counts down the biggest wins and red flag from this week’s challenge:

Do you agree or disagree with Emily? What was your favorite and least favorite moment of episode three? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 2:01 pm

62 Comments

1. I am in total agreement with Emily, with the exception of Mark. Yes, Doug was overbearing and argumentative, but when Doug told Mark that if he wanted to change the wall color he would have to paint it by himself, Mark should have stopped what he was doing and reached for a roller. Perhaps then he would have received accolades from the judges rather than being in the bottom 2. Always go that extra mile.
    I liked Kevin, Karl, and Tyler the most this week. Loved Meg and Tyler's space.
    I have to add that although Kellie came up with a clever solution for the columns, I thought it odd to have 2 bar areas in one space. I probably would have designed a pony wall with one side housing the TV and components and a banquette on the other. The rug-OMG, yes MAJOR red flag. Can't wait until next week!

Vanessa on July 26, 2011 at 10:58 am
    • Did NOT know about the rule against rugs on a diagonal!

Penny on July 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm
      • In all of my years designing, I have successfully used "rugs on a diagonal" only once. As in all rules, there are exceptions.

Martell on July 27, 2011 at 6:27 am
  2. Emily needed visuals to show what she was talking about. I do agree that one contestant shouldn't be blamed if his partner insists on something that the judges end up hating.

Sally on July 26, 2011 at 11:03 am
  3. Emily is right on!!! I agree with everything she pointed out. Doug was the right choice for elimination, he is stil blamig Mark for losing, get over yourself Doug your work sucked and I truly felt for Mark. I think Mark handled it the best he could have considering Dougs attitude. Rock on Emily, you were correct on all of your points..This season some of us are finding it difficult to even watch Design Star. Cathy needs to go next. David needs to be a judge!!!

linda on July 26, 2011 at 11:44 am
    • I do think that Cathy's attitude is very inappropriate for a television show, but maybe she'll come to. She has shown some pretty decent designs so far. Nothing spectacular, but definently good enough to move her on. In my opinion, the designers who (based on the past challenges and this one) have a shot of going home are Bret, Mark, or (very out there) Meg/Cathy.

Brian on July 26, 2011 at 11:49 am
      • Brain, I agree that Cathy's attitude is inappropriate, but I will go a step further. Emily made mention of demographics, but I know of no demographics for arrogance. From what I have seen in the past few weeks, I will not be watching Cathy's show even if it is produced.

Martell on July 27, 2011 at 6:23 am
  4. I think Mark was just as wrong as Doug because the challenge was to work together. Neither wanted to work together. The beauty of working together is complimenting each other and editing each other. They weren't willing to do that one bit. Emily, it's kind of pointless to talk about someone's side of the room. It wasn't a challenge to design sides of the room. The final product was supposed to be cohesive. I noticed that hardly any of the designers talked about the goal of making a space that the homeowners would enjoy. The judges didn't either. It was all panel, panel, panel, and "showcasing who I am as a designer." This show has become about designing for design sake. Designing for people doesn't seem to be a big priority.

Brooke on July 26, 2011 at 12:22 pm
    • I think you have an excellent point, Brooke.

Laurie on July 28, 2011 at 11:10 am
  5. I also am in agreement with everything emily said! Perfect analysis as usual!

julesc on July 26, 2011 at 12:44 pm
  6. Maybe Mark was just as wrong as Doug, but Mark isn't as talentless as Doug, not great, but way better than Doug.

erikcreature on July 26, 2011 at 12:45 pm
    • he is FAR from talentless. His portfolio is amazing. He just must work better solo.

Rich on July 27, 2011 at 2:58 pm
      • In the white room challenge, he had to copy someone else' graffiti. How talentless can you get?

erikcreature on July 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm
      • I agree. I LOVED his mirrored wall from episode 1.

Penny on July 28, 2011 at 4:51 pm
    • All Mark did is nail wood to a wall…Doug was difficult…but if you are winner you can overcome ANY obstacles…There will always be speed bumps and road blocks thats life..Why feel for him? Awww.. I dont feel sorry for him he is a grown man … tip multi task and dont spend all day nailing wood to a wall next time.

lov4design on July 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm
  7. I'm not sure, did Emily mention Karl? She talks so fast and her voice is annoying. She was not my favorite when she won. But today on this short video, I admired that she was honest & actually down-to-earth! I am surprised that she was able to say those negative things about the contestants, what happens if one of them wins? Can you say awkward? LOL Anyway, I hope to follow her for her opinion. I too didn't think that Mark should have been reprimanded for Doug's ugly wall color. But he should have spoken up and sort of nicely argued his point. I don't think he will win as he is too laid back, some of these guys/girls have to be more out there! You can't be laid back, you won't win if you are!

Geminijerserygirl on July 26, 2011 at 2:50 pm
  8. I LOVE Tyler and agree his arched wall was magic! However, what I heard last night was that it was Meg's idea to do the beach theme, and she deserves credit for that! I thought Tyler and Meg worked so beautifully together; no egos present there, and I'm happy their achievement was recognized by the judges. Keep up the awesome work!

I agree with everything Emily said about Cathy. The sooner she goes, the better.

Penny on July 26, 2011 at 4:48 pm
    • People love to take all of there frustrations out on one person… the same was done to Yachica…I dont know about Hgtv…I dont like Cathy's attitude either but she deserves a chance like any one else.. I' m starting to see a trend with the eliminations. Producers know of her personality but put her on the show its call entertainment honey..She is not got home she still has a lot more drama to stir up!!!

lov4design on July 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm
  9. The only contribution Cathy made was purchasing a beautiful coffee table. Big deal. I'm hearing a lot about her "global perspective" but have seen no evidence. The only thing she's really "created" was that uncomfortable bench from the first episode.

Penny on July 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm
    • I agree Penny, the coffee table didn't sum up the whole room. Karl's mosaic was global in design, always one of Cathy's themes. She should have worked with her team instead of insisting they do everything her way.

BohemianClassic on July 27, 2011 at 7:07 am
    • And those benches in the beach "Hamptons" inspired room look like they pulled to tables from the white box challage and threw some pillows on them..Not impressed

lov4design on July 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm
  10. I am a HUGE Emily fan and LOVE LOVE her show… especially now that she does not do her rooms twice (seems wasteful). I start by saying this because her take on Design Star this go round is exactly what I am thinking as I watch the show. I am a huge Karl fan at this point, and looking forward to seeing what the others have to offer. THE WHOLE WORKING together thing is super tricky and doesn't seem to be an issue for Kellie and the blonde (i forget her name). And I do not think Emily is annoying… she is adorable…

Kristin on July 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm