Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 2

Emily’s Episode 4 Take: Dear Future Design Stars…

Emily Henderson

Since she’s “been there, done that,” last season’s winner Emily offers advice to this year’s contestants — including something they should never, ever attempt on the show. Plus, see which designers she’s getting attached to and which she can’t wait to see sent home.

What do you think? Which designs were you most impressed by? Which were you underwhelmed by? Did you think the right designer was sent home? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 9:22 am

96 Comments

1. I agree with most of what you said and I loved Karl's painting. It was perfect for the room. Bret was definately the one who needed to leave but I'm sick and tired of Cathy. She should be trying out for host of the Home Shopping Network instead of Design Star. Who wants to watch a show about shopping ? She totally cannot get along with anyone she works with and that must scare some of the behind-the-scene employees of HGTV! Thanks for your comments each week.

Sue on August 2, 2011 at 5:59 am
    • I completely agree with what you said about Cathy. She acts like she is so good in what she does and never gives anyone she works with a chance to show their design style. Even though her camera challenges, some would argue, have been the "best" out of everyone, you have to be able to work with people. Whenever she goes and shops, she just buys everything for the room without having her teammate(s) look at the furniture. Saying that, I don't like Kevin that much either. Some of his ideas are good, but most of the time he does execute them, and some are just too crazy. Even though he has won last week, he has also been in the bottom 2 twice. Hopefully one of these times he will have to go.

Beth on August 2, 2011 at 7:32 am
  2. I got worried when he talked about painting the floor, too. The clients seemed to like the room more than the judges did.

BuffaloBarbara on August 2, 2011 at 6:10 am
  3. Cathy ruins the show for me each week. I see no talent ex cept trying to intimadate everyone. It make a bad show if all you hear is "We can`t get along" She hasn`t got along with any of her workers the whole season.If I wanted to see a fight I would go watch a cheap boxing match. When she is on now I just flip the channel.

Lucian Girl on August 2, 2011 at 6:24 am
  4. Mark a fave again? I disagree. His rope ladder contribution and clock were so so, nothing memorable. I will say, he is nice to look at:)

Annie on August 2, 2011 at 7:14 am
  5. Emily, the winner from last year, has an annoying voice and speech pattern. She needs to slow down and enunciate better. Also, I don't like her show concept. HGTV just needs to let her design the final room from the beginning. Not design, tear up, and redesign. This shows "waste" of time and money– that is not the message that the public needs to see in these economic times!!

Bee on August 2, 2011 at 7:22 am
    • I agree and obviously people were complaining because she no longer gets a second and third chance to get it right. The new season has her designing the room one time, though I did see a recent episode and she repainted the walls. I do like her and I think she has potential. It's a learning process for her, she's a stylist, not an interior designer. She offers something different and people are intrigued.

Deb on August 2, 2011 at 7:29 am
      • What happened to the one that won the time before Emily? It was a blond gal, haven't seen anything she has done except one of those summer fill-in one show things. It seems like David is the only one with a show that is continuing. Unfortunately they moved it to Miami with a cast that is like fingernails on a blackboard. I don't watch at all anymore.

messisue on August 2, 2011 at 10:36 am
        • I agree about Color Splash Miami- David is great as always but his staff just doesn't come across the way his old staff did. They all got along so well as a team. I miss them. Bring them to Miami!

Suzanne on August 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm
  6. Cathy is condescending, can't get over how she takes over the other person, so tacky. I am super impressed with Karl. I scrolled through his work and loved his use of White woodwork! I get sick of all the modern styles, I prefer a Traditional, classier, wealthy look then what I am seeing from all the designers.

lisa on August 2, 2011 at 7:27 am
    • My aunt couldn't agree with you more Lisa. She watched last week's and yesterday's episodes and she asked, what was up with all the contemporary design? She added, she would be so disappointed if she were a homeowner or a guest and the rooms looked like they did. I myself, like contemporary but believe all designs should have a mix of different styles to keep them from becoming tiresome. Too much of a good thing is boring.

Ava on August 2, 2011 at 7:38 am
  7. Cathy, Cathy, Cathy! She needs to be eliminated soon because of her "I am better than everyone else" attitude.
    I am also not completely on page with Meg. She did do a good job this episode, but she is very inconsistent.
    Kevin needs to go soon as well. He takes a lot of risks, but some of them just don't work.
    I feel like Mark is improving week by week. I think he is really showing us that he wants to win. Loved the rope ladder!
    My dark horse is Kellie. She hasn't been in the bottom, but she has been in the top 2 once and has just hung around. Look for a big statement from her.

Catherine on August 2, 2011 at 7:38 am
  8. Cathy is being hidden in the pack, and not getting eliminated for her total lack of design talent. Her television production company has a show ready to go after DS. That's why she is acting so superior and holier than thou.You are going to see a Cathy Hobbs Design Show on HGTV, in the near future. Well, if your are stupid enough to watch her.

erikcreature on August 2, 2011 at 9:21 am
    • OMG, thank you. Now I will have time to catch up on all of the recorded shows I have been saving. I certainly will NOT watch Cathy. I am so sick of her and her attitude. And they have yet to compliment her on anything she has done or purchased. That railing last night was ridiculous. I thought it brought the ceiling down and made the room look smaller.

messisue on August 2, 2011 at 10:30 am
    • Wait — Cathy has already been given a show?! Then get her the hell off of this one. She must be related to or sleeping with someone at HGTV…

Babs on August 2, 2011 at 11:23 am
    • No Way!!! I am horrified that she is on this competition. That is so unfair to the other contestants who could have had a shot at her spot. I will not suppport her show or watch it ever. She ruins each episode with her holier than thou attitude. I hate to see people mistreated and she is the expert in this regard.

sososimple on August 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm
  9. Kellie's thing seems to me to be lime green and hot pink. Did you look at her portfolio? But of course, maybe you like lime green and hot pink. She is cute and very emo, so if she wins, I suggest that she should have a show that targets a very young audience.

J Moore on August 2, 2011 at 9:29 am
    • You know… a kids' design show might be fun, now that I think about it. Teaching kids how to do fun stuff with their rooms, looking at cool furniture that can grow up with them. It would be good.

BuffaloBarbara on August 2, 2011 at 10:01 am
  10. We need to just ignore Cathy. I think she's digging herself a very deep hole all by herself very well. Not sure how I feel about giving her so much space seeing all the blogs about her. I don't see Emily or David giving her any air time on their feedbacks! I think that's smart. She's not hgtv material and she'll go away eventually. In the meantime, I hope to see some of these designers really step up their game as elimination narrows the selection for a winner! ;)

fanfair123 on August 2, 2011 at 11:04 am