Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 5

Roundup: Top Moments From Episode 4

Winning Room

Karl, Meg and Mark in their winning room.

From hilarious quips to genius designs at Spring Lake Inn bed and breakfast, catch up on the top moments from Design Star episode four.

What was the best moment of episode four? Tell us what you think in the comments below.

Posted at 6:19 pm

52 Comments

1. Cathy Hobbs might be popular because she was in broadcast, but she can't get along with anyone. She should be removed from the show for that reason alone.

Jaybee on August 6, 2011 at 6:44 am
    • I agree 100%. I would not watch her if she won, because she does not seem
      genuine. AND, editing aside, she is not that innovative.

Deb on August 6, 2011 at 7:37 am
    • Ditto. She hasn't shown enough imaginative talent. Her personality is terrible. She must go. She is NOT fun to watch.

blue sandy on August 7, 2011 at 1:19 pm
    • I have to agree. Cathy's personality and the disrespect and condescending attitude toward her fellow competitors is so off putting that I would never watch a show she was on.
      And I also agree with the writer who said that suite did not cut it. They needed a nice comfortable sitting area to accommodate the number of people the room slept. The judges did not consider function enough on that one.

cayse on August 7, 2011 at 4:02 pm
    • I also agree 100% – Cathy has all the people skills of an iguana–she may know what's the best color and furniture to fill a space, but she is so ugly, it makes the show uglier just by the ugly way she treats others.

Jeannie Jackson on August 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm
    • I totally agree. Her work is that great either. I think they better vote her off tonight as she makes watching the show very hard. I don't think I've ever watch DS with someone who was so self-centered and afraid to get dirty as Kathy. Time for a change!

Barbara on August 8, 2011 at 1:01 pm
    • I really think they brought her on and keep her because of the drama she creates, we all love to hate her :)

lcmsocal on August 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm
    • right on, the judges should be able to see Cathy is not right for a show, I would not watch any show she was on, she cannot get along with anyone.

carol on August 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm
  2. Its amazes me why black people go on these freaking reality shows, no one ever likes them including all the contestants and the weirdos that watch the show, I think if you're a strong person no one likes you and you always get a bad rap, the lady that won last season said if Cathy won she would not watch, Well I don't watch her show she is really annoying and her voice is like some kind of wind-up toy she is very irritating. Cathy don't let the comments of these tasteless clowns get you down!!!

Cheryl on August 6, 2011 at 8:01 am
    • Cathy is a no talent design fraud. If she had design talent, then I wouldn't care if she is the insufferable, conceited, black bitch, that she is. Because real design talent is so truly rare in this world, I would accept it in any package that it came in. Unfortunately, Cathy has zero design talent. If you can't see that, then you know nothing about real design.

erikcreature on August 6, 2011 at 8:43 am
    • PLEASE! Are you REALLY gonna pull the race card?! I don't care what race, gender, age, or bloodtype, when someone is obnoxious and difficult, they just are. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist — unfortunately it still does, but I truly do not believe that is the issue here. Also, a strong black woman HAS won Design Star in the past – Kim Myles, so there goes that theory.

Babs on August 7, 2011 at 9:23 am
  3. Some of you people are really horrible! Cathy Hobbs has an inflated sense of her own importance, without the talent to back it up. It shouldn't matter what she looks like, or where she comes from. She could look like June Cleaver for all I care, she just doesn't cut it.

CharlesD on August 6, 2011 at 9:35 am
    • Totally agree. Inflated sense of her importance without skills to back it up – perfectly put.

Connie on August 8, 2011 at 10:07 am
  4. This show is about design talent not what race you are. You have it or you don't. Cathy is too rapped up in herself and is unable to get alone with others. To be a Design Star you must be to able to communicate with others and share in the labor as well as designing.

Renee on August 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm
  5. I like this show, but this Cathy is the biggest turn off to me and the show. Who will be watching her show (if by any chance she wins) with this attitude and conniving personality. Having experience with the camera is not a pass card without any appealing personality and be able to work with others. She fights with every person she team up, where the judges are sitting there and having a blind eye. I know this is a TV show and needs some drama, however, it is truly a distraction for the others.

iwatched on August 6, 2011 at 3:33 pm
  6. I agree with everyone's comments about Cathy. I decided to go to this website and see if there was a way to express my dislike for Cathy and the fact that I would not watch her show on tv. She needs to go next.

Laura on August 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm
  7. I totally disagree with the judges! Although the bedrooms were well done, the sitting room by Mark, Meg, and Karl was awful. If I stayed there and was shown to that room I would leave! The different chairs were jarring and the whole room was horribly discomforting. Very unrelaxing environment and somewhat creepy! Vern, Geneveive! What were you thinking?

Adalaska on August 6, 2011 at 6:29 pm
  8. I agree about the sitting room. It was awful,but these are the judges that picked emily and antonio so
    there should be no surprise. Ido like the the group who did the room. I thought the worst part was the
    scale of the fireplace art and the chairs were really wrong.

Shay on August 6, 2011 at 7:09 pm
    • Oh I thought I was the only one who can't stand Emily, I couldn't during the show last season and (I've tried but) can't stand her show, now. Something about her personality. I like Antonio but NOT his designs :)

lcmsocal on August 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
  9. I just can't watch anymore. I've never seen a Design Star show before where a designer (in this case Cathy) was so rude, arrogant, and condescending toward the other designers. What a horrible person. This woman actually has a business with actual customers???? Please let me know when she is off the show, so I can resume watching. Hopefully that will be soon.

Dee on August 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm
  10. Bret disappointed, he was my first show choice.
    I don't appreciate that they act like they don't know about Cathy's lack of people skills-after all it is all recorded-take her to task and send her packing. I would have zero interest in her show.If she can't work with other others–I would wonder at her ability to take clients wishes into consideration.
    They need more individual challenges–

tas on August 7, 2011 at 5:44 am