Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 5

Sneak Peek: Episode 5

The designers’ test this week? Build a kitchen dreamy enough to butter up guest judge Paula Deen. But for some of the designer pairs, it might just be a recipe for disaster…

Watch the sneak peek, then tell us your predictions for episode five.

Paula Deen and Design Star Judging Panel

Predictions: Will Cathy’s team go down in flames (again)? Will Mark and Kellie get it together? Who do you think will go home this week? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 6:27 pm

246 Comments

1. I love Desigh Star! There always seems to be someone who doesn't play well with others every season and this season it's Cathy. I hope when she sees herself on TV that she gets a clue…

HGfan57 on August 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm
    • I totally agree about Cathy!!! Even in the previews, it looks like she is going to give someone a hard time next week!!!!

Lucy on August 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm
      • Cathy needs to go home !!!!!

Barbara on August 7, 2011 at 8:29 am
        • Alone!

AnneEliseSouth on August 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm
    • YES! TOTALLY AGREE!

Wendy on August 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm
    • I too love Design Star, and I am so over Cathy. She is such a primadonna. Cooperation, guess she forgot to learn that in kindergarten. She can sure dictate. She needs a time out, no make that a light out! I would never watch her program because she comes across as phony, it is ALL about me, I am the all knowing. I don't think she will ever get it. Bet she never saw a mirror she didn't like. I like Mark, but he needs to speed it up. I love perfection, but you have to work within timelines. The preview of tonight made me feel sad for Kelli, but then I remember her artwork from last week. Only a few more hours.

mareski on August 8, 2011 at 11:27 am
  2. As usual, Kathy is pulling her "staging" tricks at the expense of her partner!!! THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!
    NO ONE should have to work in such a brutal environment. If she continues on with the program, I will no longer watch as it is too painful to watch each of the other competitors have to go toe to toe with Kathy!

Elaine on August 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm
    • Good…stop watching! Than we can stop listening to your cyber bullying…people need to learn to say positive things on postings….I would trade watching cathy over watching these mean and unhelpful postings anyday…think I will stick to watching the show and leave you people to your miserable hours of bashing someone who has actually had enough talent to MAKE it to Design Star….shakes head – off to do something productive and positive with my day.

Jo-Anne on August 6, 2011 at 5:02 am
      • Oh PS. I voted for Cathy 10X – and set a reminder on my computer to do it everyday! Go Cathy!

Jo-Anne on August 6, 2011 at 5:05 am
        • Are you nuts !!!

barbara on August 7, 2011 at 8:30 am
      • Good… stop reading the blogs. Cathy is worthless as a designer. She got on DS by fraud. Other people do "her" designing in real life. That's why she is so awful on DS.

erikcreature on August 6, 2011 at 6:01 am
        • Cathy did not get on DS by fraud. A national television show thought Cathy was a worthwhile designer to air her talent. The producer did not give Cathy a script, but Cathy is the one who has decided to make the comments she has and asked her team members if she could contribute 20 minutes to a complete room demolition that took the whole day? Only Cathy would think of asking such a question! This is all Cathy's doing and we should look to who they are as a person and as a designer! Cathy provides sheer entertainment value! I would never vote for her, but she is definitely not a fraudulent person.

reedforest on August 6, 2011 at 9:37 am
          • Cathy is a design fraud. She had no design talent on her TV show, she was just a talking head. Does someone who thinks 20 minutes will count for anything in gutting a room, speak to you of someone who has any real experience in the design field at all?

erikcreature on August 6, 2011 at 10:06 am
    • I agree she is not a team player at all…. It is hard to watch her with her team mates and they are the ones that loose.. I would really like to see what she can do by herself because I really haven't seen her do much but push others around and poor Kevin did all the work…. If she wins I would never watch the show and I am one of HGTV"s biggest fans….

April on August 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm
  3. This is the second time Karl has had to work with Cathy. I think that is unfair. She pulls down whoever she is working with.

Betty on August 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm
    • I agree. Some one needs to stand up to her and tell her she's not the boss while she is on this show. Her comment last week about "she was use to being the boss" as she was trying to justify being a bossy bitch. Get over yourself lady. Your design style is so last year. You could learn something from the others around you…. so try listening to someone other then yourself sometime. Even an old gal like you could learn something new. You need to get this tee shirt, you don't know what you don't know, so stop talking and listen.

Mona on August 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm
      • I do not like Cathy's attitude, I would not want her as a designer. If she cannot listen to her partners ideas what is she going to do to any of her clients? I do not think I could trust her to listen to what I would want in my own home. She makes it about her instead of the client

jane on August 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm
  4. Ditto! Cathy does her best to try and use an ELEMENT or VIGNETTES instead of actually understanding true DESIGN concepts or deploying any RAW ARTISTIC talent. That wood bowl with giant monochromatic roots in it was HORRIBLE. Who in the world was coming to dinner – eggs by the sink window in an odd miniature floral bucket (I think), grape or cherry tomatos in a collader, hoagie rolls, and giant roots???? What happened to the other set of chairs for that table? Looks like the table seats 6 to 8 people but the chairs were positioned for only four and the distance was far from conversational. AGAIN, basic DESIGN concepts (and a good dose of COMMON SENSE) completely off Cathy's radar. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VOTE HER OFF!!!! Karl deserves special recognition for having to battle Cathy twice!

V J on August 5, 2011 at 6:10 pm
    • Cathy has some great ideas, it's just they dont take time to communicate, and then everyone messes up.

maria23 on August 8, 2011 at 11:14 am
  5. I totally agree someone has to put Kathy in her place, it's sad that most of the designers who work with her have to put up with her,then they get booted off. She is totally not a team player. Does anybody else see this beside us viewers. The best thing she has done is buy a table that someone liked. That's all I have to say. Hope Karl doesn't lose because of her not letting others show their talent.

Sylvia on August 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm
  6. Cathy should go home asap! Is she the boss??? She is not a team player at all and she is so arrogant! The only thing she does is buying things and you do not need to be a designer star to be able to do it. The show is great except for her.

Cindy on August 5, 2011 at 7:20 pm
  7. I think Cathy should have gone home this past week. Her molding looked HORRIBLE at least the floor looked like it belonged to the design of the room and it would have been an easy fix, but the molding would have been more difficult to fix without compromising more of the design in the room. This week it looks like she's going sabotage Karl and he's been doing so well. Confidence is one thing, but bossy & arrogance are quite another especially in one who seems to have no flair for design at all. I watched the preview for the upcoming episode and her "styling" is atrocious. Mark is another one who needs to go home…He doesn't work & play with others either.

Zumon6152 on August 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm
    • At least Mark isn't as bossy and boast about having a global perspective.

Libby on August 7, 2011 at 10:45 am
    • He works fine with others when the other isn't… well, Doug. He worked all right with Blanche–he was just getting in trouble because he's taking too long, which seems to be the problem here, too. That's slightly different from the problem of being difficult to work with.

BuffaloBarbara on August 7, 2011 at 11:27 am
  8. Cruella Cathy strikes again! I am still puzzled as to why she would relinquish a successful broadcasting career for a field where she obviously has very little talent. She has not come up with one creative project like Leslie or Mark and many of the others have done. Her designs lack flair. They are bland and have a cookie cutter, Sears catalog look. She's all hearts and flowers in front of the judges. Yet, she is so arrogant and obnoxiously vocal with her fellow designers. Sure enough though, during elimination time, she is strategically quiet.

Don on August 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm
    • Cathy owns a "thriving" design business and co owns a television production company, so she will have to take a huge pay cut to do her own DS winner show on HGTV. So what's the real deal with Cathy here?

erikcreature on August 6, 2011 at 6:07 am
      • I was asking that myself. I thought the show was for up and coming artists? She stated she had won 4 emmy awards for new reporting? Something not right here?

Lynda on August 6, 2011 at 10:17 am
        • Seems to be about her ego

jane on August 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm
  9. Cathy is a stager so let's see her work her magic in this kitchen. From the preview, it doesn't look impressive, but who knows how it will end up. Karl has been great in every challenge and I'm sure the room will turn out fine.
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick and tired of Mark taking too long with his project(s) and also Kellie with her crocodile tears. If I were working on a design with Mark and he was taking his sweet'ole time, I'd rip him another a–hole, not bawl my eyes out. It's about time Mark was told off and I hope Kellie does so on Monday.
    Good season, but, I am not overly impressed with any of the designers. And Yes, I am a designer and though I do have reservations about auditioning for the next season, (spring is a very busy time for me), I'm going to give it a try anyway. I'd like to share my process, creativity, and expertise with the viewers. Afterall, don't we tune in to watch shows in hopes that we can learn new things? Peace!

Agatha on August 6, 2011 at 6:45 am
    • Best of luck getting on the show! Will watch for you in next years show!

debbieiw on August 6, 2011 at 8:05 am
  10. the other day i went to spring lake inn and the molding in cathy`s room was garbage. It looked worse in person.
    P.S. They got rid of the white washed floors

J.B on August 6, 2011 at 6:48 am