Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 9

David on Episode 5: ‘It Looked Like a Fast Food Restaurant’

David Mentoring Meg and Kevin

See which kitchen David thought was better suited for a drive-through than a dinner party. Plus, who was “steamrolled” and who was David “mortified” for?

What did you think of Meg and Kevin’s kitchen? Do you think the right person went home? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 9:48 am

365 Comments

1. MEg has great taste and a great eye for design. Kevin, not so much.

bettye on August 9, 2011 at 5:55 am
    • I think she's color blind

Jeff on August 9, 2011 at 7:09 am
  2. cathy may be good at on camera stuff, but she does not seem sincere and I really question her design IQ. would NOT watch her show.

bettye on August 9, 2011 at 5:57 am
    • I 100% agree with you regarding Cathy! I would not watch a show with her in it either, I can barely stand watching her now. Her 'professionalism' and expertise is totaly over-bearing. It is not ok to steam roll everyone you work with either! If shes so great then she can continue working in a design firm somewhere…. somewhere we dont have to watch.

Camille on August 9, 2011 at 6:33 am
    • I agree pretty obvious she does not do well with others!

TLD on August 9, 2011 at 7:08 am
    • I agree!! She is awful to work with! I would not want to be in their shoes!!

Gretchen Sharples on August 9, 2011 at 7:12 am
    • I so agree with you. I do not like her as a person and she does not work well with others!

Raelene on August 9, 2011 at 7:28 am
    • the lady is a real witch. I wouldn't watch anything that lady was a host of. She is not a team player, it's all about me, me, me. Keep hoping they will vote her off.

Charlotte on August 9, 2011 at 7:59 am
    • I agree. Would not watch her show…..she maybe a stager but she over staged the kitchen.

Karen on August 9, 2011 at 9:00 am
    • Will enjoy THIS show much more when Cathy is gone. Would not waste my time watching her show. She should take her Emmys and go home. Her rude behavior and superior attitude are enjoyable to watch. Please, please send her packing.

Christine on August 9, 2011 at 9:05 am
  3. One more thing about Cathy! She doesn't work well with others, is not open to suggestions and new ideas.

bettye on August 9, 2011 at 5:58 am
    • I agree with your comment, Cathy does not work well with others, she thinks that she knows everything. You can learn different things if you are open, however Cathy is not open to learn as she knows everything. I cannot stand watching her as she is so closed to learning about other designers thoughts. After watching her work with several different designers she always has the same thoughts. You need to get rid of her instead of the others and watch the magic that will happen.

marie258 on August 9, 2011 at 6:25 am
      • i totally agree as well. of course she aced her camera challenge; but is that all it takes to be a designer. she is god awful to work with; is never open to any ideas by anyone; it's her way or the highway and the judges hated her design but yet they keep her and give her another opportunity to make another person miserable. look at the previews for next week, she's arguing with everyone b/c she wants things her way and not open to any ideas. Get her out of there.

val on August 9, 2011 at 6:51 am
      • I agree!!! Send her packing!!! Please!! It would make the show so much better!!!

Gretchen Sharples on August 9, 2011 at 7:14 am
      • And her comment to Karl in front of the judges that "This is the first I'm hearing" that Karl had issues with her staging: BULLSHIT. Several times he tried to suggest she move or remove something, and every time she "shoo'ed" him away and kept telling him, "I have this — trust me."
        It was obvious that the judges thought her staging was over the top YET they went so easy on her. Why is it they have not problem with lecturing/scolding other designers when they go wrong, but not her? I am starting to seriously think she has an "in" with someone on the network.

Babs on August 9, 2011 at 9:38 am
  4. It seems as though HGTV is determined to promote Cathy Hobbs regardless of how weak she performs challenge after challenge. Tyler may have lost this challenge but other contestants such as Kevin and Cathy have been more consistant in their poor judgement and execution. This used to be my favorite program of all. Now it seems fixed and I question the validity of the judgements and wonder if it is still worth watching.

CharlesD on August 9, 2011 at 5:58 am
    • I wonder how much of this is ratings related… keep Cathy on because it makes for "good" dramatic television. I've got to say – it's definitely turning me off to the show right now.

Nenistl on August 9, 2011 at 8:24 am
  5. i really don't think cathy is sincere on camera. she says the right stuff but i don't want to listen to her. she is a control freak, argumentative and had problems working with every person she has been paired with.

karen on August 9, 2011 at 6:05 am
    • right on sister.

val on August 9, 2011 at 6:51 am
      • During her camera challenges she always has this smiley face and demeanor that comes off as insincere. Even if we were'nt seeing her true colors behind the scenes, I still think I'd sense it…

Babs on August 9, 2011 at 9:41 am
  6. I was an avid Design Star watcher. Now not so much. Cathy has got to go. She is arrogant, assertive and not someone who I would watch host her own show. Nor is she a team player and I imagine you would have to be able to work well with others when you have a show. The camera & sound engineers, make-up, hair and clothing artist, assistants plus many others all are needed to put a show together and if it wasn't her way it would be the highway. She needs to go NOW! Not only does she not pull her weight she only 'styles' and not in a good way. There is more than just having camera experience. Please send her home

Jean on August 9, 2011 at 6:12 am
    • I absaolutely agree. I think Cathy is boring, and she doesn't style she overstyles. Her designs look like department store knockoffs. She overpowers the other contestants. Maybe Candance, Vern, or Genevieve could handle her, but not people trying to get picked who are in a unusually stressful situation. Please when are we going to see the last of Cathy. I think she is overpolished and unnatural in her camera presentations, and I would not watch her shows, whether online or on the network

swanladi on August 9, 2011 at 6:25 am
    • agree!! I would never hire her to do a remodel for me. I don't feel like she would listen to my desires.

Kim on August 9, 2011 at 8:13 am
  7. Cathy is so ick!!! I absolutely would not watch her show. She is hard to look at and her personality is totally annoying. I cannot believe that she won the camera challenge. The judges were not looking at the same thing that I was looking at. Why would you reward someone who is so hard to watch. I know that she cannot help how she looks (horse mouth & deer in the headlights look on the face :( ) but, this is not radio and people have to look at the person and her facial expressions are not made for TV. Also, she is not a nice person and thinks she knows everything, does not play well with others and I hope that she gets eliminated soon.
    Sorry for being mean, but it needed to be said.

Ann on August 9, 2011 at 6:16 am
    • LOL! Horse mouth and deer in the headlights! Wow you did a great job with the metaphors xD Sorry Cathy.

fanfair123 on August 9, 2011 at 7:21 am
    • Couldn't agree more! Of all the comments, you sum it up the best.

KKinMI on August 9, 2011 at 8:08 am
  8. Cathy is such a pain! Her camera challenge was okay but I didn't think it was the best. Her 'styling' in the kitchen was terrible! It was overcrowded with everything in the world on the counters and none of it really went together. Very poor execution. And poor Karl having to work with her. I wish they'd do more individual challenges so we could really see what each person is capable of doing.

Sue on August 9, 2011 at 6:29 am
  9. i agree that Tyler messed up on the batik painting, but would like to see how to do it correctly…any suggestions

janie on August 9, 2011 at 6:33 am
    • The judges said he did it fine. He just used the wrong color paint. I think his mistake was second guessing the paint color they chose. He switched up his game plan last minute because everyone was doing a green kitchen wall. But at the end of the day, that shouldn't matter. If you are a good designer and are confident that the style you are bringing is unique, then do your best to bang it out and bring your A game – don't just change things out of fear that you are using similar colors as your competition. Afterall, there are but only so many variation you can do with color anyway. There's bound to be overlap. What makes it unique is your interpretation of the color – and the last minute decision of batik'ing in that color did not work.

fanfair123 on August 9, 2011 at 7:26 am
      • i agree. i am looking for the technique for batiking, to try myself, any help with that? Thanks.

janie on August 9, 2011 at 8:32 am
  10. Cathy is very annoying in her attitude. I don't believe that she will be a good representative for HGTV. I can assure you that I would not watch her. She is very overbearing and overdecorates.
    Please ask David to reconsider the picture of hin in the plad shirt. His head looks elongated and he looks dorky ….. which he definitely is NOT. We need another David Bromstad type of person as the next Design Star.

Pegge on August 9, 2011 at 6:44 am