Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 19

Sneak Peek: Episode 7

Design Star meets HGTV’d as the remaining six contestants transform a lucky viewer’s home. Will the homeowners love their top-to-bottom makeover, or will indecision wreck the reno? Watch a sneak peek of the action.

Designers Outside Home

Posted at 10:00 am

105 Comments

1. Now that Cathy is GONE.. I think we can all breathe a 'collective sigh of relief' I am so excited about next week! I have said over and over that I love Karl. I really hope he shows up next episode. I think that if you look at all designers individualy by what they have done so far, it is very clear that Karl has the most talent. I mean look… The hand made "Mosaic Backsplash", The "Vertical Mural", The "Angel Mirror", The "Beachside Chair Rail Mural".. I mean COME ON!

However.. if I was to be totally honest with myself I would have to say that Karl (as much as I adore him) even being a Super Artist and a Clever Designer that he is… lacks the confidence and maturity to carry his own show. I can't tell you how sad that makes me!! But as they say… "It ain't over till its over!" If I could stand in front of Karl right now, I would totally go "Moonstruck Cher" all over his butt. Grab him by the shoulders, shake vigorously, slap the bejeezes out of him and scream "SNAP OUT OF IT!"
    I love ya sweety.. make me proud next week!

My favorites are Karl, Mark, Kellie and Meg. Mark has a talent or eye for the visual. Loved Mark's "Hanging Rope Vignette" the lighting at the reception was phenominal, his "Flying Futon" spectacular and clever and the "Skateboard Sculpture" was thoughtful. Kellie is so creative and innovative. Loved what she did with the columns and island also the bench seating setup under that awkward space. The Cabbage votives were cool. Meg is so cool with Color. Loved her B&B space. She also picked out the ceiling fabric for reception. Kinda hoping Kevin goes home next. Don't really 'get it' with him. Looking to see something fun from Leslie next week… Now that Cathy is gone, I think they can all express themselves as the designers that they truly are.. Should be some extraordinary designs and a really great episode!! YAY! :D

Serendipity on August 19, 2011 at 6:16 am
    • I wonder if Meg is trying to match the rooms with her hair. I mean her white room design was in orange, then the kitchen had an accent wall that was in the red family or was it orange? The flowers she picked had lots of orange. The drapery on the ceiling of the dance floor was orange. The B&B fabric she picked out had lots of orange. The first room design was purple and green but after the white room challenges it been orange and red all the way. Interesting..

guest on August 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm
      • Wow… very observant! Hadn't even noticed till you mentioned it. Now i'm curious. :)

Serendipity on August 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm
  2. Also something else a little off topic. It is so frustrating that as viewers we can't see more of what went on each episode. I know it is difficult for you guys at HGTV to cram 2-3 days of work into about 43 minutes (no commercials) of air time. I think a cool solution is to add a 1/2 hour recap or behind the scenes segment after each episode like on a Wed. or Thurs. The first few seasons you used to show some video clips "Good Moments" "Not so Good Moments" I loved that. Also maybe delve more into what EACH designer is actually doing. You must have tons and tons of footage you could use. No host, no frills (well bringing back adorable Clive would be awesome) just more info with some humorous moments. As viewers we do not get to see everything you get to see. I would absolutely love that, and totally watch it! It would also help my DS withdrawl during the week. SOOOOO hard to wait till Monday! :D

Serendipity on August 19, 2011 at 6:29 am
    • I think this is a great idea. The show runs its repeat on another night – so put the recap in that slot. I'd love to see a little bit more of the interaction between the designers themselves as well as with David. I'd also like to see more of the judges' deliberations each week. I TOTALLY love the recaps on the web, but I would bet there's so much material and footage that another show would go over big time. I can hardly wait for Design Star to come on each week. Love it. And the remaining designers are all pretty good. I'd say Kellie and Mark are a little bit ahead of everyone else. But who knows what they will be facing in the coming episodes.

goodtogive on August 20, 2011 at 6:10 am
      • I didn't even know they had a rerun of episodes! I think that is a waste. If they are looking to draw more people into watching the show… It would seem to make more sense to show clips of a recap/behind the scenes episode and then run the show to hook them. I mean seriously everybody tapes if they can't watch, and if they don't.. you can view them here. Heck.. They even have DS on Comcast Demand (here in PA anyway). I also agree about about watching the interaction between the designers. And to throw David in the mix?? It would be such a winner! I agree about Kellie and Mark.. love them both! I'm guessing in the end.. they wil be the finalists. They are the 'Darlings' of this season. I'm still gonna hold out one more week for Karl! :D

Serendipity on August 20, 2011 at 9:00 am
      • Let's play a game? What would we call this new episode?? "DS.. What really happened"? no.. too long! "DS.. What you didn't see"? nope.. also too long. "DS Real World" ehh..DS Insider" Possiblility?? haha. What do you think?

Serendipity on August 20, 2011 at 9:28 am
        • Definitely need more of what's happening! As with all HGTV shows, they play the same clips over and over; there must be tons of footage to choose from. Give us more of the action please!

Kelli and Mark are my favs with Karl and Meg in close behind. I'm hoping Kevin and Leslie are the next two to go; then it will get difficult for me.

ginger on August 20, 2011 at 2:27 pm
  3. Excellent T V Host, Excellent Builder, Excellent Designer sums it up for Mark.

Shalom on August 19, 2011 at 8:36 am
    • MARK DOES AN OK JOB GENERALLY I THINK; HE HAS A GOOD PRESENCE ON THE VIDEO CLIPS BUT SEEMS OBSESSED WITH MAKING THINGS….THAT IS NOT REALLY DESIGNING A ROOM OR PICKING OUT WHAT IS APPROPRIATE FOR THE COMLPLETE ROOM CONCEPT..ON HIS OWN, I THINK HE'D HAVE A LOT OF PROBLEMS GETTING EVERYTHING DONE…ESPECIALLY ON TIME AS THIS IS A COMPETITION. MAYBE HE CAN PULL IT OFF NEXT TIME?

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:49 am
      • Designing your own furniture and items, I think, makes you an eevn better, more rounded designer…I love him! Hope he wins!

Sense on August 20, 2011 at 4:34 pm
  4. I am addicted to thrift stores, dumpster diving, rummage sales, etc…. I would love to see an entire DS devoted to the creativity, which participants would express around that concept. In addition, I know that your demographic focus is probably the younger segment of the population, but would you have the courage to devote a show geared around "baby boomer" contestants?
    Regardless, I absolutely love, love, love HGTV/DS!

roberta on August 19, 2011 at 10:59 am
    • I agree. I think decorating on a tight budget is great, especially for seniors.
      I love HGTV

Rose on August 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm
      • I agree that this segment of the population tends to be a litle lacking on HGTV shows. However, many of the shows DO focus on decorating on a tight budget, which factors into the current economy well, whether it's for seniors, those just graduating from college who can't find a job, or for those of us caught somewhere in-between worried about being laid off and trying hard to save for emergencies rather than full blown remodeling. Most of us, independent of age or socioeconomic status, are also concerned about the environment, and would like to do our parts with Eco friendly materials, repurposing older items, and learning about how to live a more Eco friendly lifestyle (which can save us money at the same time). But many people still think of Eco-friendly elements as being the more expensive choices – please educate us all about what's new on the market, what works and what doesn't, and what affects the bottom line in these increasingly difficult financial times.

Gretchen on August 19, 2011 at 9:38 pm
      • WHEN I WAS IN DESIGN SCHOOL I WAS ALWAYS TOLD GOOD DESIGN COSTS THE SAME AS BAD DESIGN….IT IS TRUE…..IT GENERALLY DOESN'T COST ANY MORE TO PICK THE CORRECT COLORS, TEXTURES, AND THE LIKE REALLY……

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:34 am
    • I would love to see one of the home improvement channels do something for the "baby boomer" population. I noticed, no boomer contestants, no boomer home re-designs, no boomer vacation homes, no boomers getting new landscapes…… We haven't rolled over in our graves yet and we are probably their biggest fans. I too love HGTV but I would be thrilled to see someone my age on air once in awhile.

Fiesty12 on August 19, 2011 at 3:07 pm
      • Oh I have noticed that too. My Hubbie has started watching with me (HGTV) and made a comment that they seem to use younger designers for younger clients. I think they dont want the older generation on camera :( Maybe our style is boring?

Rockhound on August 21, 2011 at 6:13 am
    • The "me me me" baby boomers dominated the cultural landscape for 30 + years. They still own the world and are financially crushing younger generations. The least they could do is gracefully step aside and let the spotlight shine on young designers and innovaters instead of demanding that it stay focussed on their bloated egos and aging carcasses.

ackattack on August 20, 2011 at 3:36 am
      • WE WILL SEE//////////////////////////

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:34 am
    • I THINK VIEWERS OF ALL AGES LIKE THIS SHOW…..SO IT HAS TO REFLECT VARYING POINTS OF VIEW OF COURSE….GOOD DESIGN IS WHAT EACH OF US WANT TO SEE OR WE WOULDN NOT WATCH THIS CHANNEL…..THAT IS WHY THERE IS SUCH A VARIETY OF CONTESTANTS I THINK…..CATHY WAS A GREAT EXAMPLE OF WHAT WE DO NOT WANT…….DRAMA AND MEAN-SPIRITED ARGUING…..HER WORK WAS BAD AND EVERYONE COULD SEE THAT….MADE GREAT TV FOR AWHILE THOUGH!!!!!

danny on August 20, 2011 at 7:04 am
    • AGREE! AGREE! AGREE! C'mon, HGTV, you used to have several shows geared to this concept – the closest you now come to that is Emily's, showing her shopping for pieces in collectibles/thrift stores.

Kathy on August 20, 2011 at 10:19 am
    • Oh, yeah! In keeping with these hard times, HGTV should have a show called Dumpster Design in which doddering seniors create fabulous spaces from rancid leftovers, asbestos laden construction debris, and dirty diapers! Wooooo hooo!! Get programming on the horn ASAP!

oliveoil on August 21, 2011 at 11:23 pm
  5. My favorite is Karl. Have you seen his work on his bio? It is so clean and Classy. I would love to have seen what he would have designed for the Wedding… Isn't it odd poor Cathy doesn't even have a clue as to what turned all of us off. Leslie's personality – what a Riot! She is a hoot! Kelly the sweetest one. Meg very classy work on her bio too. Mark did well on the lighting – but isn't it odd he is excused to go do his thing however long it takes…or maybe you have to admire him for getting away with it!!

lisa on August 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    • MEG AND KARL BOTH HAVE A LOT OF TALENT….THEY HAVE BEEN SLIGHTED OFTEN….LOOK AT MARK…HE DOES THESE LITTLE PROJECTS AND OFTENTIMES THEY ARE HALF DONE OR TAKE TOO MUCH TIME….TIME WILL TELL!

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:36 am
    • YES, KARL'S BIO IS GOOD AND PHOTOS OF HIS WORK SHOW A NICE SENSE OF STYLE AND QUIET ELEGANCE. APPROPRIATE CHOICES AND CLASSIC REFERENCES ARE ALWAYS BEST….GIMMICKS AND FLASHY COLORS, BAD SCALE, AND TRENDY NEVER COMES OFF LOOKING RIGHT SOMEHOW. DAVID USES LOTS OF COLOR FOR SURE, BUT CLIENTS HAVE ASKED FOR THAT AND HE KNOWS HOW TO BLEND IT ALL TOGETHER SO IT IS BALANCED…..SHOULD BE FUN TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE COMES UP WITH NEXT!!!!!

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:55 am
  6. Yay! a Karl fan! I too went thru all the design portfolios. Karl was definitely classy. The others were ehhh decent enough. Don't you think he holds himself back a bit? As to Mark.. yuppers.. he kinda picks a cool thing and then bails! But, It is all about expressing yourself.. God bless him.. at least he's trying LOL. Meg too.. there was one room I really loved. Kelly sweet yes,, they seemed to pick the sweet ones.. exception Antonio.. but even he helped a fellow designer, and even thru all the tattoos.. saw him shed a tear or two. Leslie.. she's struggling.. I hope she finds her way next episode. As to Cathy> Let us bow our heads and thank the Good Lord! Hahahaha :) Nice post.. thank you, I agree and enjoyed it! :D

Serendipity on August 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm
    • YES, WITH CATHY GONE!!!!!!!! WE CAN SEE WHO CAN REALLY DO A GOOD JOB. KARL AND KELLY COULD DO SOMETHING NICE TOGETHER I'D THINK.

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:37 am
    • Can you please just shut it and what's with 3 multiple posts at one time? Are you really that verbose in RL? Your constant "bubbly" comments are nauseating and come off as trying too hard and fake.
      Cut the crap. This isn't a blog to win a popularity contest.

guest1 on August 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm
      • Oddly enough, it's a blog to express your opinions and thoughts about a show on HGTV, which is what Serendipity is doing.

BuffaloBarbara on August 21, 2011 at 10:01 am
        • Thanks Barbara! You just made my day! :)

Serendipity on August 22, 2011 at 4:41 am
    • I agree. I would hire Karl to work on my house if I had money!! I think he is a genius! Hopefully he won't get pushed around anymore. I think Leslie is a great artist.

Dee on August 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm
  7. Karl needs to develop some spine if he's going to continue on in the competition. He is talented, but comes across to me as whiny and petulant.

Pam on August 19, 2011 at 5:27 pm
    • YES, KARL SEEMED CONFUSED ALMOST……I THINK HE CAN DO GOOD WORK THOUGH; HE HAS MUCH MORE SUBSTANCE THAN MARK FOR INSTANCE

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:39 am
    • Well, I don't know that he is missing a spine. He certainly sounded like he was talking up a storm for the men's lounge. There are many approaches on how to deal with making sure your design get in the room. David B. wasn't ever aggressive to get his stuff in the room and neither was Antonio. They talked about the design collaboratively to a point. Then they just went and did it. Basically, enough talking. They took the "let's get it done attitude."

Karl, on the other hand, has a tendency to take flight when the going gets tough.
      Instead of leaving the drama, he could help himself by not talking it to death but doing. Help pick out pieces for the room so he can at least get some elements of what thinks should be incorporated into the room.

fanfair123 on August 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm
      • FANFAIR 123….YES, KARL NEEDS TO GET ON IT…HE DOES COME OFF AS CONFUSED….HOWEVER, MARK LEFT AS WELL AS KARL DURING THE SHOPPING FOR THE LOUNGE……THEY BOTH NEED TO COLLABORATE BETTER FOR SURE.

danny on August 21, 2011 at 4:34 pm
      • I THINK THE CAMERA SHOTS WE SEE ARE VERY PURPOSEFUL…..THE CLIPS OF KARL MADE HIM LOOK VERY GOOFY……SHOTS OF CATHY ALWAYS SHOWED HER BOSSING SOMEONE….SO SURE THAT WAS CONSTANT AND NOT DIFFICULT!!!! SO, WE SEE EACH OF THE DESIGNERS FROM VARYING GOOD AND BAD MOODS….REMEMBER HOW LESLIE WAS BABBLING LAST WEEK? PROBABLY CAUGHT HER IN A BAD MOOD FROM BEING BOSSED BY CATHY!

DAN on August 22, 2011 at 8:30 am
  8. I'm pleased the designers get to work solo next week. I'm looking forward to seeing just what Karl can do once he has the time to put together something on his own and stops being a 'helper" to everyone else. I was hesitant to watch this past week because it was just so difficult to watch Cathy and all of her drama. I have to say I'm relieved that she is gone and will enjoy watching the rest of the designers continue.

Melinda on August 19, 2011 at 5:38 pm
    • MELINDA….I AM WITH YOU FOR THE DESIGNERS WORKING ALONE….THAT SHOULD BE EXCELLENT….AS IN THE REAL WORLD. EACH DESIGNER WILL RISE OR FALL DUE TO THE QUALITY OF WORK FOR ONCE.. THANKFULLY CATHY IS GONE…..CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT SHE WOULD HAVE DONE???? PROBABLY LILAC AND LOTS OF FABRICS WITH OVER-THE-TOP TABLESCAPES AND CLUTTER…I AM SURPRISED SHE DIDN'T GO OVERBOARD ON THE WEDDDING TABLES…THAT WAS ODD BUT THEN AGAIN, IT IS CATHY

danny on August 20, 2011 at 3:48 pm
  9. Just watched the preview and am wondering why on earth Kevin is looking for a fireplace mantle at a furniture store and a fireplace store? My first stop would be the lumber section of a home improvement store to find some bigass pieces of wood with which to build a custom mantle.

argyle on August 20, 2011 at 3:25 am
    • REMEMBER THE FIREPLACE MARK DID AT BED AND BREAKFAST? THAT WAS NOT VERY WELL DONE AS I RECALL…MAYBE HE CAN ASK MARK FOR HELP ON THAT

danny on August 20, 2011 at 6:41 am
    • LOLOL.. Now that;s Funny! I too was wondering the same thing. Or even a resale shop or antique place! haha.. thanks for the giggle! :)

Serendipity on August 22, 2011 at 4:40 am
    • I wondered the same thing as I watched the preview. How about Lowe's or Home Depot or somewhere else.

NancyBee on August 22, 2011 at 10:07 am
  10. That was Tyler who did the faux antiquing on the fireplace at the Bed and Breakfast, not Mark.

ackattack on August 20, 2011 at 7:30 am
    • SORRY, I FORGOT…..I KNOW MARK LOVES WOOD AND I THOUGHT HE DID THAT….

danny on August 20, 2011 at 7:36 am
      • TYLER LEFT BEFORE CATHY……THAT WAS STRANGE AND NOT FAIR REALLY….ESPECIALLY AFTER THAT AWFUL MESS CATHY MADE OF THE KITCHEN…THE JUDGES WERE NOT IMPRESSED WITH HER OVERSTAGING EITHER AS I RECALL…..

danny on August 20, 2011 at 7:41 am
        • Tyler was my favorite and I think he should still be in the competition

J.B on August 21, 2011 at 9:11 am