Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 26

Sneak Peek: Episode 8

It’s down to the final four! This week, the remaining designers must redesign a NYC apartment on a budget — and tell a live studio audience at The Nate Berkus Show how to do it at home. But will self-doubt wreck some designers’ chances to win their own show?

Sneak Peek Episode 8

Predictions: Who do you think will go home this week? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 6:28 pm

160 Comments

1. I see another former Design Star former contestant was given her own show…I'm sorry but that doesn't seem right.

Mark G on August 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm
    • Why not?

jax on August 27, 2011 at 6:44 am
      • Because Donna stinks as a designer. Her designs stunk on DS season one, and they still stink on her new show.

If they wanted to give a show to someone from DS season one, then it should have been Alice, who came in second to David, but seemed to have more over all design talent than David.

erikcreature on August 27, 2011 at 10:58 am
        • I didn't know which former contestant you were speaking of. Yes, Donna really does stink. And wasn't she kind of trouble maker? Todd Davis, the runner-up from season 2 is on Room Crashers and he rocks.

jax on August 27, 2011 at 4:02 pm
          • Todd was obnoxious then, and still iS…I was referring to another blond who is now doing Design on a Dime…Hmm I think someone doing the hiring at HGTV has a thing for blonds.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 8:54 am
          • I think Todd is extremely talented and seem like a nice guy in general (don't particularly find him attractive that way). I'm happy he got his own show. And I actually love his level of energy. It's very refreshing. Also he repurposes existing elements in the room quite frequently.

BUT, I would have to agree that the 3 ladies now added to HGTV all DO have blonde hair.
            So maybe there's some truth to what you are saying. LOL!

Harry on August 28, 2011 at 11:10 am
          • Todd is an artist, not a designer. In real life he does landscaping. Juggling plants around is artist and because they still end up looking like a bunch of plant, it is landscaping.

His "designs" are entirely impractical. On DS star, fountain in the kitchen, revolving stage, etc. His hotel room in Hawaii was great, way better than Kim whose room looked like she was designing for Motel 6.

His room crasher show, show that he is totally impractical when it comes to design. Design is a precise science, at least it should be, not an art. Slatted kitchen ceiling? Smoke, grease, heat, how do you clean that, imagine what is going to be living up there? Again in a garage make over stats of wood with a cloth background.? Who cleans it and how?

Todd is creative artistically, but he is in no way a real designer.

erikcreature on August 28, 2011 at 12:04 pm
          • I agree there is definitely a science to design. However, good design is not void of beauty and creativity, which art is all about.

I can't speak on whether or not Todd's creations on room crashers is functional or not since I have never personally had the experience of living in one. On camera, it seems fine though. I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong because you are a trained designer or I lack common sense or something. That's fine.

Design is very personal and what we like and dislike will vary from person to person. Whether anyone thinks he's a real designer or not, that's what he's doing and there must be enough people who like his designs (indoor and out) because he seems to be doing well. So to each their own.

Harry on August 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm
          • Ok, so you don't know what real design really is, and instead of informing yourself about the reality of what is true design, you would rather go with your feelings of what you like superficially, without looking at the consequences of of the non-functional nature of art vs. the out of necessity, realistic, day to day functionality basic to the nature of true design.

Sounds as though your only source of "design" information is HGTV. Unfortunately, they only have inferior decorators as hosts, and never had a real designer on the network, even for a guest appearance.

Todd is a trained artist, with some construction background and a good looking
            guy, without any functional design talent at all.

erikcreature on August 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm
          • LOL! Thanks for the predictable response and for making me laugh.
            I'm not going to dignify you with anymore posts. Have fun debating with yourself.

Harry on August 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm
          • Thanks, Harry. HGTV and all of its designers totally rock! erikcreature does not..

Sandra on August 29, 2011 at 6:08 am
          • I think he needs a calm me down pill…And these judges talk about pouncing on the client. – LOL.

Mark G on August 29, 2011 at 6:06 am
    • I agree. I didn't like the pilot episode either. Too much consumption of non essentials in this time of economic contraction. BLING? And the clients are so spoiled and self centered. the host seems overwhelmed. She seems exhausted, just the way she was during the competition. She makes me tired just watching her. I will not watch her show.

Carla on August 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm
      • The thing is the room wasn't any nicer than it was previously.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 8:57 am
      • True about what you said. But not on Todd's show.

Harry on August 28, 2011 at 11:12 am
  2. *former Design Star contestant

Mark G on August 26, 2011 at 2:42 pm
  3. I think Mark is going to win. But Karl has good designs too.

Libby on August 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm
    • I would bet money that Karl will win.

amj on August 28, 2011 at 8:01 pm
  4. Aww, Karl! Don't say that! Sure Mark has a great smile and Kellie and Meg are very sweet, but YOU are awesome! Your designs are amazing! I wish you could redecorate my bedroom!!!!

Abby on August 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm
    • Ditto! And when he's not feeling camera shy, his amazing personality shines through too!
      C'mon Karl, don't lose your confidence on camera. You do just fine being yourself! You are so sincere, hard to find that kind of authenticity on TV now a days.

DSfan1 on August 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm
    • I AGREE THAT KARL IS THE BEST DESIGNER. HE'S TOO NICE TO HIS COWORKERS IN THE GROUP CHALLENGES, BUT LOOK AT HIS INDIVIDULA ROOMS LIKE THE WHITE BOX AND HIS BEDROOM LAST WEEK, ALSO, LOOK AT HIS WORK BEFORE THE COMPETITION. BY FAR THE BEST PORTFOLIO! I THINK HE IS NERVOUS IN THE CAMERA CHALLENGES, BUT WOULD DO GREAT ON HIS OWN SHOW – NOTHING TO BE NERVOUS ABOUT ONCE YOU'VE WON. THIS IS A DESIGN SHOW – NOT AN ACTING CHALLENGE. AS LONG AS SOMEONE IS NICE (AND KARL ALWAYS COMES ACROSS AS NICE) – IT WILL SHOW UP ON CAMERA AND THE COMFORT LEVEL WILL INCREASE WITH TIME. DESIGN TALENT IS NOT AS EASY TO LEARN. I FEEL AS THOUGH THE JUDGES ARE BEING TOLD TO PUT MORE EMPHASIS ON PERSONALITY THAN ON DESIGN TALENT.

JANIS on August 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm
  5. Karl is my least favorite so i agree with him its his turn to go home! I am still going back & forth between Mark & Meg as my favorites. There is just something about them that makes them a good TV host.

Lisa on August 26, 2011 at 3:38 pm
    • You sicken me.

Abby on August 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm
    • He never said it was time for him to go home.

Zorevi on August 27, 2011 at 7:23 pm
    • Personally speaking I don't care who wins.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 9:10 am
  6. I really enjoy most of the shows on HGTV, but I find it difficult to watch Design Star because of the often "rude" criticism from the judges. How quickly they forget that they were once novices.

Karen on August 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm
    • No kidding, and they find the stupidest things to rave about.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 9:01 am
      • YES, RUDE AND SNIPPY THIS YEAR FOR NO REASON REALLY….NOT NECESSARY AT ALL

danny on August 28, 2011 at 4:30 pm
  7. At least this week felt like an actual design challenge…finally! However, I think I would have gotten rid of Meg. Poor design, and who really cares if they can do a good reveal….it needs to be really smashing design work or we walk.

Thia on August 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm
  8. Good luck to all four designers – Karl, Kellie, Mark, Meg – keep up the good work from your previous experiences and your own portfolios!

cherjohn on August 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm
  9. Karl – you are real and lovable!

Betty on August 26, 2011 at 5:20 pm
    • He's going to win!

amj on August 28, 2011 at 8:02 pm
  10. I believe Karl will be sent home even though he gets my fan vote every day. I think he is by far the best designer, but lacking some in the on camera area. This could be improved in a short period of time whereas true design talent cannot be improved on so easily.

Lynne on August 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm
    • I agree I hope Karl stays but I think that HGTV predetermined who they wanted. If he gets sent home this week I will be sorely disappointed and disgusted with HGTV, It could be because Karl would threaten Vern & Genevieve for show time.. Karl is the best of the designers he listens has great ideas and wonderful results. His personality is so real and true he tried to help everyone which hurt himself and got stuck with the horrible Cathy

As for Mark people might think he looks good but he does not have any versatility just let me work with wood..Nothing else is there in any other room

Meg gets jumbled would be interesting to see what she could do without the time constraints.

Kellie should have gone prior to episode 7 but definitely then. She made no effort to do any labor expected everyone else to do that for her. Then she never listens to anyone in general but when she didn't get the bunkbeds she should have been GONE. Her blog means nothing except to make her usual crying excuses.
      Kevin should have stayed last week and kellie booted. but honestly Tyler should have not been booted when he was and should have at least outlasted the boorish Cathy, He would have given them all a run but just was not lucky enough with alignments.

StraightShooter on August 27, 2011 at 9:13 am