Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 26

Sneak Peek: Episode 8

It’s down to the final four! This week, the remaining designers must redesign a NYC apartment on a budget — and tell a live studio audience at The Nate Berkus Show how to do it at home. But will self-doubt wreck some designers’ chances to win their own show?

Sneak Peek Episode 8

Predictions: Who do you think will go home this week? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 6:28 pm

160 Comments

1. I wish they would get rid of Genevieve. She is so rude and so phony. She once told a designer that he laughed too much and yet that is all she does on her show. I watched it once. She is not that great at designing, so I can't see why she would be judging others. Wish Candace would hurry back. I like her and Vern, but Genevieve should GO. I think Meg wil leave the show this next time.

!!!

Bett on August 28, 2011 at 8:10 am
    • Genevieve is a mediocre designer in my opinion…I never liked her interiors on Trading Spaces either…Her designs become repetitive, as does Candice's, and as for Vern, he's a legend in his own mind…I wish Candice would just not sign up for this show, because she's never there anyways…And while I'm on a rant, what does Paula Deen know about interior design?…It's gotten ridiculous these celebrities put their names on furniture, and other items, and suddenly they think they're real designers.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 9:34 am
      • I love Paul Deen. I think she's a sweet lady who cares about people. I wouldn't mind being in her company. But I agree that some of these guest judges might not be completely appropriate.
        And you know people buy because they are "star struck."

My best friend is a genious (I mean super smart) but he is completely star struck. He follows all sorts of celebrity and their life. Some how he finds it interesting and relevant to him. haha.. I guess no one is perfect. But I'm sure that's the main reason why they cross over into areas that normally would not work for the 'average' person (whatever that means). LOL!

shana on August 28, 2011 at 11:29 am
        • I like her too…I like the fact that she eats real food – LOL

Yeah a lot of people are star struck and that's why there is the market for them to stick their names on all kinds of items.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm
  2. i am no longer watching design star because they kick of Leslie, hope this hurricane washes out htere studio!!!!

meeeeeee on August 28, 2011 at 8:12 am
    • LOL…I shouldn't laugh but that was funny…Hey you never know Leslie could come back…It seems you no longer have to be the winner to get the prize…Plus she is a blond. ;)

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 9:22 am
  3. Mark has demostrated that he is by far the best designer though none of them are really great. The second best is Karl so Meg and Kellie shall both be sent home tomorrow. Lets finish this nightmare asap.

Justin Case on August 28, 2011 at 9:37 am
  4. OK I thought I liked Kellie but after reading her bs blog, I personally don't care for her now…All she did on her blog was make excuses for her lack of effort, and producing a product that did not meet what the client had asked for…I'm sorry but like everyone else on this show, you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for this show, and like everyone else, you're not the only one who has a family who they miss, and who misses them…She evidently doesn't do well under pressure, and personally I have yet to see her do anything on this show that I could say WOW to.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 10:44 am
    • You know, not that you should care Mark G, but I enjoyed reading your posts up until now because you seemed like someone who was able to remain objective and see the show for what it was.

It's true there was a lot Kellie wrote on her post that was unnecessary and she didn't have to.
      But for one, she said at the beginning of her entry that none of what she had to say was any excuse for the poor design fail. After the apology, most of what she wrote seemed more like giving us an insight to what happens behind the scenes. Maybe you know all this already and so for you, it didn't seem very informative, but it was informative to me.

And reading her blog DID NOT sway me to like her more or less. I don't think she's a better designer than I thought she was before I read it. I STILL think the best designers are Karl and Mark.

Also, I don't think anyone can really know what they are truly in for on DS, until you are there doing it.
      So unless you have been on the show and have done it, it's not fair to trivialize the feelings of someone who is there and are doing it. That's not for you or anyone to judge.

And so what if Kellie is going on about her feelings for her family? There is no 'cookie cutter' way about how we deal with stress EVEN if we all have family we miss and etc. I'm sure she will go on with her life and continue to do what she does with or without any of our opinions.

I agree with your previous assessment that this season's designers are mostly underwhelming and lack some creativity.

Mimi on August 28, 2011 at 11:49 am
      • Well everyone interprets what they read differently, and I saw it as an attempt to justify her rooms poor outcome…Also some of the things she said made her sound even more unprofessional…In my opinion Leslie and Kellie had the easiest rooms to design, and I think if Leslie was sent home, Kellie definitely should have been sent packing too!…I personally thought Meg had the hardest space to design…How much can you really do with a foyer that hasn't already been done, and that loft area was just plain scary in my opinion, considering the clients have young children, and the fact that it was so open to the foyer below…I certainly wouldn't have put any piece of furniture on that other side that those boys could jump on, and fly over the wall.

Anyways getting back to Kellie, I can appreciate she misses her family, but she seems to mention it all the time, almost as if she's seeking to gain sympathy…It's not like she was called for jury duty and couldn't get out of it…She and everyone else involved in this show chose to be here, no one forced them to.

Oh well it doesn't matter who wins, if the show is something fresh people will watch it, and it's the same old stuff it will eventually fade away.

Mark G on August 28, 2011 at 5:05 pm
        • I guess it didn't occur to me that she might have ulterior motives behind the whole family thing. Not to say it's not possible. I just read what she had to say, took it for what is was and moved o. Didn't give it that much thought. Nothing she said was really gonna change how I felt about who should win. But hey, Kevin spazzes out in front of the camera, Leslie babbles, Mark only wants to work with wood, Karl's shy on the camera, and Meg seems just average on everything. They all have their weaknesses.

I agree that Meg had the hardest spaces to work with. The landing does look pretty hazardous for little kids in general. But we see houses like that all the time and people buy them, and live in them. So there must be ways to address those spaces in a smart and functional way that can also be beautiful.

And honestly, I think the only reason why Kellie didn't go home this week is because of the camera challenge and reveal. They kept emphasizing how important it was to get that right this week and Kevin just completely chopped it up. It was painful to watch him (I nearly had to cover my eyes. LOL!) It was painful to watch Kellie too but that was a different kind of pain all together – not any less just different.

HGTV needs to be clearer on what the designers have to ace on each challenge, in addition to the week to week standards (at least to the viewers). Otherwise, it looks really unfair. It's really easy to wonder why Leslie was sent home and not Kellie vs. Kevin without some sort of additional info.

Yep, I agree. If HGTV creates an innovative program then people will watch for sure.

Mimi on August 28, 2011 at 6:10 pm
  5. Karl should definitely be the winner. He comes off so genuine and sooo talented. Love his designs….and that master bedroom was to die for! I like Mark, but not a fan of so much wood. Kellie needs to go. Meg is good, but not up to Karl and Mark's talent. A tough decision, but think it will come down to either Karl or Mark. I'm pulling for Karl!

Linda on August 28, 2011 at 11:04 am
  6. How many DS fans are sorry they casted votes for Kellie just to kick Cathy out of the lead, instead of giving their votes to their favorite designer? I'm glad I didn't buy into all those posts to cast my vote for Kellie no matter what so Cathy wouldn't win. It certainly gave Kellie a nice lead over the competition. Wonder who made all those requests for Kellie votes-maybe the same people linking us to her blog, Maybe?

Not a Kellie fan on August 28, 2011 at 1:52 pm
  7. Had to get that edge over the other designers before this past episode aired. I did notice her percentage is decreasing daily. Make sure to vote for your favorite designer.

Not a Kellie fan on August 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm
    • You must be a Mark fan. Because if you can take Kellie down, then Mark would be the one to win.

Instead of trying to rally the sheep through all the negative talk about Kellie, why don't you try and just promote whoever your favorite is? It's much nicer, don't you think?

I mean seriously, what is the reason and the point of all the Kellie bashing? Really?

Fans, if you have a favorite, make sure you vote for them since the last day to vote is Sept. 15.
      I'm sure they will all appreciate your vote. My votes go to Karl.

Dontbe_ahater on August 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm
      • Nope you're wrong, not at all a fan of Mark's. So sorry to burst your bubble.
        Mark is in second place, therefore if he wins DS, Kellie gets her online show, which would be unfair because people voted for her to bump Cathy out of first place.
        Cathy is in third place, no one wants her to win anything.
        Karl is in fourth, if he isn't named the next DS, then he gets nothing.
        Karl is my favorite. He and Mark should be at the top of the heap, not Kellie. As I said, you're wrong, I'm a KARL FAN.

Not a Kellie fan on August 28, 2011 at 6:45 pm
        • Me too! So let's just get folks to vote for Karl. I would be happy with both Karl and Mark in 1st and 2nd. This way they both win something.

Sorry, I'm not into all the bashing.
          But I'm with you all the way on Karl!

Dontbe_ahater on August 28, 2011 at 7:33 pm
        • That's not true…Look at Casey and Donna…HGTV is giving shows to people who weren't even a runner up…It's like a slap in the face to the people who actually won, and to all the others who were part of this silly show.

Mark G on August 29, 2011 at 6:14 am
  8. I think Kellie will be the next to go. She is sweet but she lacks toughness to pull her design ideas together without breaking down every week. Mark has my vote because he really thinks outside the box with each challenge. I would be a devoted fan of his show!

Bren on August 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm
  9. All four design stars have various strengths and talents and can surely host a show with a little help.
    Karl, for his love of architectural design and his friendly sense of style; Kellie, whose portfolio shows that she loves color, and also has a good understanding of style choices; Mark, who obviously loves wood, but can most likely work with other substances; Meg, a warm and friendly attitude, with a traditional sense of style…gosh, what a tough decision to say good by to one of them. Good luck to all four on the next challenge!

cherjohn on August 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm
  10. Is their appearance on "The Nate Show" INCLUDED on tomorrow night's "Design Star" show??

kate on August 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm
    • they must do clips of the designers presentation. don't think there's a way to put the entire Nate program into a DS one.

slim on August 28, 2011 at 7:35 pm