Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Aug 30

David on Episode 8: “It Was Like ’80s Granny, Not-So-Chic”

David dishes on the final four’s budget design challenge. Who “ignored him completely” and who was practically “peeing in his pants” backstage at The Nate Berkus Show? Plus, he breaks down the best and worst designs.

David at the Nate Berkus Show

What do you think was the biggest disaster of episode 8? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:01 am

160 Comments

1. Nah, Kellie had to go. She really blew it before when she didn't give that poor little kid the bunk beds that he had his heart set on — & then tried to justify the decision. Boooo! At least she made it easier for the judges in the last episode; her room just wasn't up to par, nor was her video, & she knew that; cute barstools do not a well designed room make. I'm actually sorry that Leslie & Tyler left when they did; I found them the most intriguing & "watchable", design flaws notwithstanding. Who should get this one? Mark is the cutest, Karl is the quirkiest, Meg has the attitude. I dunno…

Kallis on August 30, 2011 at 2:19 pm
  2. Oh and Genevive your not so much of a artistic designer sorry but your just about like Meg and your shows i do not watch. There boring and you bring nothing new and fresh. Same old same old, Megs show would be like yours, boring. I don't see how u have a tv show and i don't see Meg having one either.

Marina on August 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm
    • I agree. I hate "Dear Geniveve". I think her designs are ugly and she has no personality. Don't know how she got on HGTV.

SARA on August 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm
  3. Exactly!!!! What a perfect match. Her skill at re-purposing combined with his manipulation of common items into art would be a complete winner.

Debra on August 30, 2011 at 2:42 pm
  4. I absolutely love David's designs. He always brings it to the table. Antonio is fantastic. He does the unexpected that works. I would love to have him tackle my living room.

Wilhelmina on August 30, 2011 at 2:47 pm
  5. I am so sad to see Kellie go. She was my favorite. I love her fun personality she has and the real life designs she brought to her room. Didn't really like Megs room. Would never do the wood treatment she did on the walls and didn't like the way the shelves were done. She comes off hyper and makes me nervous just watching her.
    Loved the spoon wall Kellie did, the curtains looked good considering she had a problem with them, loved the bar stools. Hers was my favorite room this week. Really didn't think Karls "book" shelf was that big a deal.
    I will probably not watch the 3 who are left since I really don't feel a connection with them. Maybe Mark! Such a shame!

Debbie on August 30, 2011 at 3:07 pm
  6. PS: Just read another's comment about Kellie and last weeks room: Not doing bunkbeds and lockers!
    I guess that's why she had to go. Oh well!

Debbie on August 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm
  7. I do not see how Meg won the challenge. If that was my room I would have to either immediately rip down the molding or add horizontals in between for a wall of random squares & rectangles. Otherwise those stripes made it look like bars in a prison painted light yellow. I did not find it at all attractive. The only redeeming piece was her table. I did not see it as a designerd room, more like a before waiting for a designer to save it.
    I totally disagreed with Nate about Mark's shelves, I loved them they were very modern. Yes that large wall could have used a piece of art but some people prefer a minimal look. I would have put more of those shelves on that wall to mix the modern & vintage and also tie the two sides together.

Kat on August 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm
  8. Karl was surprisingly comfortable on camera, so happy for him. His "bookshelves were a nice idea but I don't like seeing L-brackets (Meg's shelves showed them too & so don't hold much weight) so for Karl's shelves I would have used 2 sets for each shelf (shaped more like a U) with a book the size of the bracket to coverup the brackets or strips of wood instead of brackets which could be painted fun colors (sorry I'm into my bright color phase now as my yard furniture would prove – no black metal left only blues greens, yellows, etc..) Glad we can vote online for fan favorites because I'm not huge fans of some of the past winners – don' t think they'll ever be able to surpass season 1 – David is & always will be the Ultimate Design Star. Like that they brought him in as a mentor, but I'd prefer him as a judge.

Kat on August 30, 2011 at 3:36 pm
  9. THIS IS A DESIGN SHOW AND WE ARE STARTING TO SEE A GLIMMER OF WHAT MAY BE REALLY GOOD FINALLY. I LIKE ALL THE FINALISTS SO WE WILL SEE WHAT COMES DOEN NEXT WEEK…SHOULD BE FUN

danny on August 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm
  10. Kellie was crying in her goodbye speech about missing Meg.

Meg seems just fine that Kellie was sent home instead of her.

hmm..