Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Aug 30

David on Episode 8: “It Was Like ’80s Granny, Not-So-Chic”

David dishes on the final four’s budget design challenge. Who “ignored him completely” and who was practically “peeing in his pants” backstage at The Nate Berkus Show? Plus, he breaks down the best and worst designs.

David at the Nate Berkus Show

What do you think was the biggest disaster of episode 8? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:01 am

160 Comments

1. I am glad that Mark, Meg and Karl are all likable. Mark is more an artist than a designer. He tends to create one unique piece (the rope ladder, the skateboard ceiling hanging, the wood partition wall) in most of the challenges. His personality exudes warmth and charm – I love his kitchen presentation where he kept his hat and put on an apron. Meg is eager to please and very capable but she doesn't seem to have a signature trait in her designs. Despite looking and sounding like a neighbor or a colleague, Karl seems to be "the designer" right off the bat. His ideas are simple but smart and his designs feel fresh, cohesive and inviting.

shibumi on September 1, 2011 at 9:36 am
  2. I agree, BRING KELLIE BACK NOW!!! I personally think just because she had the nerve to second guess Gen that it made the whole panel vote against her. Kellie has the perfect design skills between the regular person and the ultra rich. Gen only does what she wants, does anyone remember the different color wainscotting that Gen. done on her show, which was about the ugliest thing I have ever seen on HGTV, bet the people on that show have painted over the wainscotting, I would have. Don't think I will watch the rest of design star. Good luck to you Meg, I hope you go all the way.

Shirley on September 1, 2011 at 10:48 am
  3. Kellie started out strong, but waned as the weeks went on. I think she was tired and missed her kids. Nothing wrong with that except to do this show, you can't wane and get tired (or at least you can't let it show). Not giving the kid his bunk bed and lockers was not good. She should have given them to him but in a unique and different way. She claimed he really just wanted to climb, but I think she's wrong. He's at the age where kids start wanting to have sleepovers. The bed she gave him was not safe. No rails. I hope the parents got rid of it right away.

Mark has great ideas but no sense of time management. He cannot spend all his time making a single item (think rope ladder, skateboard panel, silver leaf lamp, etc.) His camera challenge in front of an audience was bad.

Karl has my vote and has from the beginning. I find his laugh adorable, just like David B's. He's gotten so good at his camera challenges and his designs are wonderful. Won't be much longer and we'll know who the next Design Star is.

crittercove on September 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm
    • Kellie has since blogged that little Mason now has bunk beds and the lockers he wanted. I felt better when I read that.

As for the other designers, unless someone drastically steps up, I don't think whoever the winner is will last long on TV.

Moonbeam on September 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm
  4. I occasionally watch color splash because of Mr B's personality; his design doesnt match my style. Kim was VERY personable but only saw two episodes I think. I've only seen Emily's responses to this season's designers. The others……I haven't seen, and wasnt aware they even got the show they "won". Two episodes of DS have been followed by shows hosted by runners up of previous seasons, Todd and Casey. I was happy for them! Todd has grown up (and likely had some host skills coaching a la David Bromstad) and Casey was adorable as usual. Good luck everyone!

petlorilea on September 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm
  5. WHEN is Mark's total lack of time-management skills going to be allowed to eliminate him? Other designers have learned from mistakes over the past weeks, but he consistently goes overboard on his grand intentions without any sense of how long his plans will take to execute. The judges this week noted that Meg had completed her look and asked whether she'd be able to do that consistently, but why wasn't Mark similarly challenged? Because they saw that he's still hopeless in that department?

Having done a lot of work backstage, I've seen other folks like Karl who are a nervous wreck when *anticipating* their performance, but who drop all the anxiety and are perfectly focused and calm once they're actually onstage.. He'll be fine. For instance, this week it looked like Mark hadn't even planned what to say, but you can bet that Karl knew he'd be tossing out that storybook/teddy bear suggestion. Vern's comment about Mark not even naming the materials correctly highlights Mark's lack of preparation and/or presence of mind onstage.

Jojo on September 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm
  6. I cannot BELIEVE the judges sent Kellie home!! I was rooting for her all the way!! Even though her "curtains" weren't the greatest, she was definitely resourceful and used what she had!!! Way to go, Kellie!!!

Kellie Lover on September 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm
    • Kellie is a lovely woman and a good designer.
      But it was just time for her to go home. Her heart really wasn't in it.
      Aside from her room design, you can see it in her face. She was ready to go home.

So it all worked out. Don't be upset. Just because someone doesn't get their own show doesn't make them a bad designer or a bad person (necessarily). Good luck to Kellie. Maybe we will see her somewhere down the road still. You never know on this network.

justafan on September 2, 2011 at 5:48 am
  7. I used to watch Color Splash,but David's stuff looks really tacky to me. Liked him better when he was doing lower budget, less ostentatious small apartments in S.F. The Miami look always gets so dated so quick (remember the Architectonic building with the square hole on Miami Vice?). Tried to watch Kim Myles but could never find it. Ditto Jen, Siberian T.V. slots.What gives?

CharlesD on September 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm
  8. Agree! I was thinking the same thing — that Karl and Meg would be great together. And I fear that otherwise neither would get enough viewers on their own to keep a show on the air. I like Mark, but I don't want to see every interior turned into a mountain lodge. On the HGTV'd episode, he used way too much wood, and the homeowner looked disappointed in that room (but pleased with the living room). But in the dining room, Mark had a wood floor, a wood table, a wood cabinet, wood chairs (I think), and then he put even more wood vertically on part of a wall. That was all in addition to the vertical wood room divider on the other side of the dining room. Enough is enough.

Moonbeam on September 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm
  9. I didn't think her curtains looked that bad, but maybe they photographed better than they looked in person. Also, maybe the judges thought she lacked foresight in not remembering to buy curtains.

Moonbeam on September 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm
  10. The name of the third season DS winner that several posters on this thread were trying to remember is Jennifer Bertrand. She was good, although I was also impressed with the runner-up, Matt, and hope he gets to come back like Todd and Casey (enjoy both of them). Vern had expressed concern at first that Jennifer might be a "one-trick pony" with her drawing on walls, but she stepped up and eventually won. Glad some of the other posters on this thread were able to explain what happened to her, b/c I had been wondering about that.

Moonbeam on September 1, 2011 at 5:44 pm