Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Sep 2

Sneak Peek: Episode 9

This week the final three face their toughest challenge yet: design an entire house in just two days. Who will succeed and who will go home? Watch an exclusive clip of the action.

Design Star Contestants

Predictions: Who do you think will make it to the finale? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 2:47 pm

178 Comments

1. I believe Karl and Meg will make it to the finale. Mark is certainly talented, but he has yet to learn to tailor his projects to fit in the time allotted for the challenge.

Sandra on September 2, 2011 at 10:51 am
  2. Oh gawd, did you really need to make wear them all wear those dumb looking boots?

Mark G on September 2, 2011 at 11:42 am
    • *make them all wear…And I think it's going to be Karl and Meg also.

Mark G on September 2, 2011 at 11:51 am
  3. I think the time allottment to decorate a house in two days is ridiculous! With everything that it takes to shop, paint etc. it seems like it's impossible I have yet to see any other designers attempt that in two days and if they did they had tons of help. Right off the bat I would say that Mark will not make it. He never had enough time to finish a project on his own..

MissyPumpkin on September 2, 2011 at 11:49 am
    • did you not pay attention to their eye levels in the preview. It is either a play house, a doll house, or a dog house….lol. I do think it will be Meg and Karl.

S.lyleStyle on September 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm
      • I don't think there are real houses in Battery Park, so I agree with you–they are probably designing some small scale house, perhaps even glass houses, as other designers have done in past seasons. I also think it's going to be Meg and Karl, and I think Karl is going to win this season.

argyle on September 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm
  4. ….maybe they are outhouses…

Perry on September 2, 2011 at 12:46 pm
  5. …hence, the boots…

Perry on September 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm
  6. Boots – 3 dark pair, one hot pink pair. Would, could, possibly the person who picks out the clothing for Tanika, please, please, PLEASE, find the woman some clothing that is NOT off the shoulder? Every week, it's another off the shoulder garment. This week, hot pink. I never knew there were so many off the shoulder garments.

The final 2, I am always surprised at the final 2. It's usually the ones I least expect. I'm hoping for Karl and Meg, though all 3 finalists have had trouble with completing projects on time in one episode or another. (Karl didn't finish the back splash in the kitchen… possibly because of we know who… Meg may finish or leave things not complete like the loft room, but I'm not really WOW'ed…. and Mark, well, all the time on the rope hanging… the skateboards…foiling the lamp.) I am really hoping Karl will be THE winner. His work seems to have an understated elegance, clean lines, has shared a variety of skills with different media. Pulling for Karl.

shehopes2 on September 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm
    • KARL DID FINISH THE BACKSPLASH – THE ONE WHO DIDN'T FINISH THE BACKSPLASH WAS MARK. I DO HOPE KARL WINS!!!

kskg on September 3, 2011 at 5:32 am
  7. I'm also pulling for Karl to win it. Think it will be Meg and Karl in the finale.

MaryAwes818 on September 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm
    • Yep! I totally agree. What a shame that the Fan Favorite voting counter isn't working. The percentages haven't changed in at least 6 days, even though voting has been furious. I don't know how to contact HGTV to let them know that it is broken.

salviati2 on September 4, 2011 at 6:22 am
  8. Found this posting online:

"Ecofriendly Luxury
    Riverhouse, a 31-story, 246-unit condominium going up in New York?s Battery Park City, combines luxurious amenities and star-designed interiors with green technologies?from geothermal wells and photovoltaic panels to a triple-glaze window system on the exterior, all of which make the building 25 to 30 percent more efficient than New York state code."

Hmmm! Star-designed? Could that be Design Star designed? We'll see!

MaryAwes818 on September 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm
    • In Season one David and Alice had glass houses built for their final challenge and they designed them in a New York Park. I know Tanika said this challenge is a DesignStar "First" but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be soemthing VERY similar. I can't wait to see what it is.

DesignHobbyist on September 3, 2011 at 8:54 am
  9. Why not just cut to the chase and announce Meg as the winner?
    As much as I would like to think the guys have a chance, I think the judges chose Meg.
    I hope they prove me wrong!

Patty on September 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm
  10. No way to know who might be the final two. All three designers are talented and creative…my only hunch is that a woman got the nod last season, so perhaps the judges will select a guy, to even the numbers on the winners – 3 and 3.

cherjohn on September 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm