Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Sep 6

David on Episode 9: “Honey, Welcome to Television”

David dishes on why Mark failed this week and who the mentor thinks could “sell anything to anybody.” Plus, who surprised him the most? Hear his from-the-set take.

Mark With David Bromstad

Which finalist would you rather watch on HGTV? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:51 am

316 Comments

1. Which finalist would you rather watch on HGTV? Definitely Karl! He makes me smile. He seems so humble and unassuming. I like those qualities. And more importantly, I love his designs.

MaryAwes818 on September 6, 2011 at 6:57 am
  2. I was upset that Mark was sent home….especially since they judged on the entire season. The judges thought Mark was very approachable, watchable and always brought unique and creative designs. In other words, he is great to watch, will always bring a unique perspective, and will be refreshing each week. Hmmmm….sounds like the perfect host to me! Very disappointed that they let him go this week.

bridget on September 6, 2011 at 7:06 am
    • I have enjoyed Mark as well, but he blew the camera time AND the belt thing was a bummer.
      Maybe he could have woven the belt to make some great art! Good luck Mark! You are one
      GREAT DESIGNER!

Wina on September 6, 2011 at 7:18 am
      • Belt/smelt!! Was he ever once not among the most innovative? Meg's green was just as horrible as his argyle..she is no better than your average small town design person..Mark is cutting -edge,creative,interesting,appealing photogenic,and has never failed to have something cool to show us. Hope to Pete Karl wins since he,at least, is a really good designer !

Songgal on September 6, 2011 at 8:11 am
    • I was rooting for Mark from day one. He has that star quality. I wasn't overjoyed with the belt idea but everything else looked great. Doubt if I'll watch Design Star from here on out b/c I don't think the remaining two have the appeal for their own show. But good luck to them anyway….

Kayla G. on September 6, 2011 at 7:29 am
    • Amen to that!! Mark was the best all season..bring him back ! Is Design Star based on one down day? Poo on th judges !!

Songgal on September 6, 2011 at 7:54 am
  3. I'm glad that I'm not on the judges' panel because I like them both! I loved Karl's tiny house and his architectural take on design, I love Meg's idea for Design Crimes and I like both of their personalities.
    I remember the final challenge when David Bromstad faced Alice and both were so good but David NAILED the final challenge. He was the winner hands down. I hope net week will be the same — one of these two great people will nail it and we'll have an undisputed winner!!

robinreader on September 6, 2011 at 7:09 am
  4. Hard to believe that Meg is still standing ! Who will watch her??? Her voice is awful and she is not creative enough to me. Mark should have won the event!!

jerry on September 6, 2011 at 7:17 am
    • Jerry I would agree with you. I would not watch meg. I like Karl better. I hope he wins. Meg did not have any storage in her little house, while the other guys did. She should have been voted off.

Cookie on September 6, 2011 at 8:53 am
      • Mark didn't e even paint his house!!!! Those belts and argyle design was awful!!!! You guys have no idea what you are talking about. Meg's design was airy and open! She also had a closet right when you walked in —- STORAGE!

Melissa on September 6, 2011 at 9:45 am
    • I totally agree with you. Meg's confidence to too much and her voice would drive me crazy. Karl or Mark were my two favorites! The judges didn't notice the paint on the windows of Megs house and how you like to be in that bath when someone opened the door!

HGTV Lover on September 6, 2011 at 9:48 am
  5. I liked all three, so I'd have been disappointed with whoever went home, but someone had to! In this case, I think they were right with Mark. He had the weakest of the spaces, and his camera challenges were sub-par. I like Meg and Karl, and their show ideas, quite a lot as well. I want them both to knock it out of the park and make the judges' jobs hard.

BuffaloBarbara on September 6, 2011 at 7:20 am
  6. Gee, I live in the Windy City and I am so PROUD that the final two designers are from CHICAGO!!!!!!
    Good luck to both of you (although this already has been won by now). You have made your hometown
    thrilled with your creativity and design. Previous years were filled with drama, whining and cat fighting.
    This year, was filled with TALENT and great ideas!!! Thanks to all the designers and HGTV for bringing
    back the kind of show, that all of enjoyed watching. Save silliness for the catty reality tv shows. I am sticking
    with HGTV!

wina on September 6, 2011 at 7:22 am
  7. Sorry, David, Meg can't sell me anything. I find her camera work annoying. She is too hyper and not at all natural. And Mark got sent home for the belts which were a poor idea. They had not purpose and didn't add anything to the design. If Meg wins, it will be another Design Star I don't watch. David, you are the only one I bother to watch. Karl, I will give a try.

Betty on September 6, 2011 at 7:24 am
    • Seriously, does ant one really watch Emily from last year? What are the judges thinking? Will not watch the final. Karl definitely a great talent..mundane Meg not so much. Mark was The most innovative and interesting. Who thinks he is worse on camera than Karl..really? They lost this viewer. Bye bye.

Sandym on September 6, 2011 at 8:01 am
      • What was interesting about Mark??? He had NO personality. At least Meg has personality! I like Karl as well.

Graham on September 6, 2011 at 9:47 am
      • I LOVE Emily!!! She is way better at designing than David B. His designs are awkward and too over the top for a real functioning household to run. Emily gives functionality and style with a cute, quirky personality.

P.S. NO ONE CARES if you or other viewers are going to watch the final show. It won't bring Mark back or keep Meg or Karl from having their own show. You are the one going to miss out.

Laura on September 6, 2011 at 10:00 am
  8. Hey David, would you consider doing a tiny house design? This concept is intriguing and I would love to see your take!

Snapdragon on September 6, 2011 at 7:29 am
  9. Karl's design for this small rustic space was awesome. This is supposed to be a tiny house that people will live in and I think that Karl hit the mark. A eating area that can be a prep area and office space with space for office supplies, how awesome is that! Loved the big mirror and the overhead bed and storage areas. I liked the color in there too.

Barbara on September 6, 2011 at 7:32 am
  10. I would love to watch Karl's show and he doesn't win…Karl, you can come to my house anytime!

Barbara on September 6, 2011 at 7:34 am