Kayla Kitts

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Sep 13

David on the Finale: “Can You Handle This Moment?!”

David on the Judging Panel

David dishes on what it was like to be in the elimination room while the judging panel deliberated. Plus, why his heart was beating “1000 times a minute” and what is “the golden ticket for fabulous.”

What did you think of the season finale? Did you think the right designer won out? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:41 am

224 Comments

1. I completely agree! I posted a similar comment weeks ago. Tanika and Meg say "guys" constantly, and too many others on the show did too. It drives me mad too!

kate on September 14, 2011 at 6:16 am
  2. I agree with so many posts! Megs room won, and the only think she picked out was the blue, the mirrors, the rug, and had a pedestal made that could topple on the baby! Nothing inspiring. That's the type of room for people who can walk into a JCPenny with 3K and just set it up at home.

I won't be watching Megs show. Not once. In fact, I'm hardly even checking what's on HGTV anymore because it's always House Hunters, HH International, or My First Place.

kate on September 14, 2011 at 6:35 am
    • Plus, she didn't even get the right shade of blue: the owners wanted Tiffany blue.

maggie on September 15, 2011 at 9:04 am
  3. I've noticed that "Ask the Producer" segment hasn't shown up since announcing the winner on Monday night. I guess the Producer doesn't know how to answer why he allowed the Producers to make such a wrong choice. I hope he reads all of the comments on Candice's blog and realize that most Design Star followers were very disappointed and that the decision wasn't a good decision for HGTV. I know all the comments won't change anything … for the competition actually was Jan – March and they are already taping Meg's show but if you know what is good for HGTV, you will place Meg's show on a time slot during the morning or day when the majority of people are at work and not watching TV and give Karl a show during Prime Time! I agree with all the others, HGTV should go back to allowing the viewers to vote!

Unhappy on September 14, 2011 at 7:55 am
  4. Karl has inspired so many and turned them on to art and architecture in a new light.
    We will see a whole new generation of talent because you were on Design Star, Karl!

That's much more rewarding than getting robbed of your win at the end.
    TV shows will come and go along with their personalities and fade away.

But truly inspiring people will leave a beautiful imprint on all of us forever.
    So you're a true winner Karl. Thanks for inspiring so many viewers with your talent.
    Good luck and I am sure we will see more of you in the future :)

Celeste on September 14, 2011 at 8:08 am
    • Well put and very eloquent.

KCMary on September 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm
  5. You got it all wrong judges. We want to see inspiring designers be entertaining. Not the other way around. We don't want to see entertainers giving us mediocre designs.

Lenny on September 14, 2011 at 8:15 am
  6. Well Design Star another season and another dissapointment. I look at the picture with all the prior winners and i dont even remmember 75% of them and Meg is only going to add to that percentage. Come on this thing is all planned !!!! Lets take a look at the finale. Meg gets clients who like warm, earthy, tiffany blue tones and rich chocolate furniture. Karl gets clients who like a tuscan, greedy, graffity atmosphere…… try blending all of that. Im not a fan of the hostess, shes cute but has no character. David brought me back to the show but he needs to be an inspirational figure rather than a camera challenge assistant. I HATE the group challenges, whats the point of them? to create drama, hello im already watching the show, trust me ill come back just stop giving me the kid drama. I also dont like the focus on the camera challenge.

Danny4704 on September 14, 2011 at 8:48 am
    • I so agree with you about the group challenges—designers are not cooperative, herd creatures—they like to do their own thing.

Perry on September 14, 2011 at 10:19 am
  7. Thank you Nelson for an objective and important view. I noticed, too, how far behind Meg trails in the Fan Vote. HGTV used to be my Go To channel but I don't watch it as much any more.

KCMary on September 14, 2011 at 9:10 am
  8. The staircase was strange. Just an oddball room—but there are no brownstones here in my midwest city, so maybe that type of living room is de rigueur for NYC. :-)

Perry on September 14, 2011 at 9:59 am
    • Actually I looked at the room again and it's really beautiful.
      I wouldn't change a thing. Karl nailed it with this challenge.
      Something about the way they showed it on TV was off.
      It looks much better in photo shots.

I live Harlem NYC and yes. There are some very big brownstones here.
      Many held their original architecture and has a quite the sub-urban charm in an urban setting with its high ceilings and lofty spaces inside. But many had been run down and needed restoration that has been done now. But because like many old homes, they built small rooms with awkward layouts so sometimes it's a hit or miss when you are trying to take out and open up the living space.

I suspect the space that Karl did were actually 2 to rooms with the staircase sectioned off with a wall to the entry way. Looks like they took all the walls down on the second floor too by the stairs which would have been also sectioned off originally.

Gibbons on September 14, 2011 at 9:39 pm
  9. I think Karl was great once he settled down and allowed his designer self to show through. He was amazing in the challenges. Meg was good too – but way too "down home" for me. More of a decorator. I wish her well but I hope Karl goes on to do great things too.

Liz on September 14, 2011 at 11:26 am
  10. Congrats Meg! I am glad Meg won…. I think that Karl did a great job but I thought he was more of a painter than a designer. And to be honest, Meg's final room was so much better than Karl's! I am looking forward to watching her show!

Melissa on September 14, 2011 at 11:44 am