Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Sep 13

David on the Finale: “Can You Handle This Moment?!”

David on the Judging Panel

David dishes on what it was like to be in the elimination room while the judging panel deliberated. Plus, why his heart was beating “1000 times a minute” and what is “the golden ticket for fabulous.”

What did you think of the season finale? Did you think the right designer won out? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:41 am

224 Comments

1. i realize that HGTV doesn't take issue with contestants or panel members using the word "guys" repeatedly, but every other word out of meg's mouth is "guys". karl is a much better speaker, and his voice is mellow, not grating like hers. HGTV – you blew it!

celliejoe46 on September 13, 2011 at 8:10 am
  2. I have to say that I was really rooting for Karl. I hope that HGTV brings him back with a show as they seem to be doing lately with other design hopefuls from years past. I know that Meg is bubbly and could "sell you anything", but I really didn't find anything new in her designs. I appreciated Karl's architectural approach and really loved his painting of the armoire. I thought , I know, he's doing a TV cabinet, but it's different. Everyone in America has a television, and probably a large percentage of them are in a cabinet. It was nice to see a cabinet that was more a piece of art. Meg's designs are pleasant but I don't see much difference between her and other featured designers on HGTV. Maybe that's why she was chosen. Will I still remain faithful to HGTV. Sure, but I am disappointed.

gfox on September 13, 2011 at 8:23 am
  3. That's my last time viewing DS! Really – Meg? Karl was sooo much more talented as were several other. And Design Crimes? The series has gone straight downhill since David (1st) and no one will watch Meg's show, just like they don't watch most other "winners." I don't believe for a minute David or Candice liked Meg's design style. There isn't any.

NMC on September 13, 2011 at 8:24 am
  4. I would have preferred Karl as well. But my husband, who doesn't watch HGTV unless I'm watching it and endured Design Star because I was tuned into it, surprised me by getting into the show because of Meg. He likes her persona, and he likes her because she's not like the slick male designers or the sterotypically pretty female designers. But he doesn't know squat about design, so I guess it figures that he would prefer entertainment over aesthetic elegance.

argyle on September 13, 2011 at 8:26 am
  5. I am so disgusted by this entire process… I'm giving up on Design Star.

Genevieve's and Candice's gushing comments about Meg being someone you'd want to go have a drink with or the girl "everyone wants to be friends with" (wtf! are we all still in high school? that statement reveals the depths of Genevieve's stupidity) or even Candice saying last night that Meg "was like the girl next door"… wtf again?

The fact that they are even saying stupid things like this makes it clear that winning Design Star has nothing to do with design talent…. and is all about wowing the idiot judges.

Meg is a decorator… last night she had Kellie and Leslie pick out all the furniture (which is why it looked good for the first time) and she used the blue color the client wanted on the walls… it is depressing.

Karl had a much tougher challenge in pulling together two disparate styles and I think he pulled it off… he has an ability to listen to the challenge or the client and then use his own design skills to interpret the challenge and come up with something totally unique… very inspiring to watch and I was SO looking forward to his show.

If you look back on Meg's efforts over the season… you see no such ability… her "designs" were gaudy… and the white box challenge and the foyer/upstairs seating areas were ATROCIOUS. The colors in the small house were awful.

I won't be watching her show… and I guess some could say it's silly to be upset at a TV show challenge… but we diehard HGTV viewers love DESIGN…. we don't care about someone's ability to "reach out of the TV set and demand that you watch them"….

We want talented innovative creative design… period. This season was a waste of my time to wind up with Meg.

I repeat… I am disgusted with HGTV.

caroln on September 13, 2011 at 8:32 am
    • Meg did NOT use the blue that the client wanted. They had specified "Tiffany" blue which is a light turquoise, almost robin's-egg blue. (Sorta like the Twitter link below, but less neon!) Instead she got a depressing bluish-gray, ugh. Imagine what Karl could have done with that request!

Jojo on September 13, 2011 at 8:53 am
  6. It is very surprising to me that no one really likes Meg yet the panel voted her in. I hope that someone from HGTV responds soon and explains why Meg won. So sad.

Charlene on September 13, 2011 at 8:34 am
    • David gave us a clue when he said it's easier to tone somebody down than to bring them up. He praised Karl's progress but apparently it's easier to provide Meg with some speech lessons and behind-the-scenes design support than to get rid of Karl's nervous laugh.

Jojo on September 13, 2011 at 8:56 am
  7. The panel seemed more focused on finding a personality than in finding someone with great design ideas. Meg just rehashes the same old stuff we've heard for years ( i.e. mirrors can make a small space seem bigger!). Where's the inspiration? I've given up on HGTV.

Kari on September 13, 2011 at 9:01 am
  8. I like all the judges much less after this design star season. Look at them. They look like they can be puppets next to Kermit in the muppet show. =/

Klein on September 13, 2011 at 9:02 am
  9. I'm disappointed. I don't like her tv persona, I feel like she is trying to bulldoze me into watching rather than inviting me in. And I haven't liked a single one of her designs this season, whereas there are several of Karl's (and Mark's) that I do like. I still love Karl's backsplash tile mosiac and his master bedroom. His room in the finale was inviting and met some real needs. I think her room was dark & plain.

KMc on September 13, 2011 at 9:05 am
  10. I was wondering what Tiffany blue was… thx. When Meg said the rug had a hint of "Tiffany blue" and the client got so verklempt at the blue on the wall I assumed it was Tb….

Regardless… Meg painted the wall blue at the request of the client, even if it was off! too funny actually.

Designer she is not.

caroln on September 13, 2011 at 9:06 am
    • if you really looked at all the furniture in that space there was about 2 ft of walking room between any piece… where the hell is a baby soposed to play??? i thought i was going to die if i heard one more cheesy crime reference. really??? i wont b watching her show, her voice is as annoying as rachael rays lol

nancy on September 13, 2011 at 10:13 am