Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Sep 13

David on the Finale: “Can You Handle This Moment?!”

David on the Judging Panel

David dishes on what it was like to be in the elimination room while the judging panel deliberated. Plus, why his heart was beating “1000 times a minute” and what is “the golden ticket for fabulous.”

What did you think of the season finale? Did you think the right designer won out? Tell us in the comments below.

Posted at 10:41 am

224 Comments

1. But it will be impossible to teach Meg how to be the kind of designer Karl is…

That is the biggest problem.

caroln on September 13, 2011 at 9:07 am
    • Yes. But apparently HGTV is more worried about personality than about design.
      Totally contradicts what HGTV is supposed to be about.
      My last ditch effort to get some quality programming on TV just fell through the floor.
      ah well. Later for this BS. I've had enough of HGTV.

Adrianne on September 13, 2011 at 9:14 am
  2. My suggestion for the Design Panel next season: Sabrina Soto, Monica Pedersen, and John Giddings. All three are wonderful design professionals. Tanika Ray didn't get on my nerves as badly as she irked some of the bloggers, she can stay or go. However, to completely give the show a fresh look, I believe Taniya Nayak would make a great host because she is a wonderful personality and a good designer. There's something about the current Design Panel that is absolutely NOT in step with the viewing public.

Sandra on September 13, 2011 at 9:07 am
    • I like J. Giddings and maybe Sarah Richardson. Sabrina and Monica would not be my choice.
      But honestly, they should have some judges that do not host a show on HGTV.
      It's a conflict of interest. One rep is good enough and I could see Gidding being it.
      They need to diversify their pool of where they get their judges. Can't just be all HGTV stars already.

Liz on September 13, 2011 at 9:21 am
      • I LOVE Sarah Richardson and she would be excellent, but based on what I know about her I do not believe this would interest her. But, if HGTV can get her, it would be fantastic.

Sandra on September 13, 2011 at 9:30 am
    • I agree wholeheartedly. Sabrina Soto does a reallty good job of designing and offering tips that the average person can relate to. I have been an HGTV fan since the first Trading Spaces days but these last 4 seasons of Design Star have left me totally giving up on HGTV. I can cancel it from my cable package and save myself some money.

Wanda on September 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm
  3. Thanks HGTV for putting the spoilers on the HGTV home page and the Design Star main page (that's sarcasm btw). It sort of ruins it for those coming to catch the episode online.

Elle on September 13, 2011 at 9:09 am
  4. LOL! you are funny david. That was the golden ticket for you because you are already fabulous. A fabulous designer! Not so much for Meg. Sorry to burst you bubble. Will not be watching her show along with many other viewers.

Liz on September 13, 2011 at 9:10 am
  5. IDIOT JUDGES?!?!?!?! WOW!!!!!!!! That was a bit over the top!!!!!!!!!!! The talent and knowledge that was sitting on that panel is almost too much to contain in one room!!!! That was rude and uncalled for.
    I do think that Meg's designs were almost always predictable, but she handled the camera much better throughout the shows than Karl did. Karl was a great designer and I think he would've gotten better over time. I think it was a tough decision. As long as Kathy got the boot, I was okay with the outcome. Just my opinion……………

Linda C. on September 13, 2011 at 9:23 am
  6. Yes, the whole "guys" thing was driving me mad, and Tanika is also a major offender. You'd think with as little as she has to do on the show she could come up with a few more creative things to say.

Valerie on September 13, 2011 at 9:40 am
  7. I was disappointed that Karl did not win. I also thought he showed depth in his design choices as opposed to Meg's which seemed bubble-gum like. Her colors for the small house were awful!! I loved his inspiration of the architecture across the street and solving the hard problem of Tuscany and city grit. Bravo for Karl and I hope he is used as a designer in his own future show as I would certainly watch.

Carole on September 13, 2011 at 9:46 am
  8. This was a really good summation of how most people apparently feel, myself included. It really was a major disappointment to see Meg win. I can't imagine what Karl must have been thinking, but he was extremely gracious.

Karl improved so much over the season and has so much more to offer–real design talent and skills. Meg had so many bad moments throughout the season, it is a wonder she even made it as far as she did. You can easily see she just does not have what it takes to be an inspiring designer. The "design crimes" thing was SO overdone and really just childish. Karl was so much more articulate in his 5-minute pilot than Meg. It really felt like the judges were playing a role that they were forced to play last night–grinning while watching the pilots like that's what they were instructed to do. I don't believe that they truly believed Meg should have been the winner.

Did anyone at HGTV read the ongoing comments about the show? They really should!

Valerie on September 13, 2011 at 9:48 am
  9. I loved both Karl and Meg — It had to be extremely difficult to choose between them. However, I thought Karl NAILED the camera challenge. It was the first time. Would he be able to keep it up? Meg is great, as long as she doesn't call people "guys". Thank YOU — not thank you guys. What do YOU want for this space? Not what do you guys want for this space…..drop the guys, please. And PLEASE give Karl at least a couple of specials on Inspired Design.

robinreader on September 13, 2011 at 9:54 am
  10. Yuk!! Meg's voice is horrible. Won't be watching her show. But even worse than Meg's voice: Would somebody please tell Genevieve she does NOT have a killer body, and she should stop wearing skin-tight clothes, and that when she's a juge, she should not wear hooker clothes, and that we do not want to see her crotch? Thank you.

solong on September 13, 2011 at 9:54 am
    • I knew I wasn't the only one who thought Meg's voice sounded so bad that no one in the world could stand it AND that Genevieve, dear Genevieve, looking worse and worse due to shorter and shorter skirts. What happend to the professionalism of the show. Thank God for Vern and Candance who carry it on. But Genevieve, you still have hair to die for!

Lynn Maggio on September 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm