Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Sep 14

Ask the Producer: Design Star Finale and Meg’s New Show!

Design Star Crew

Each week, Design Star producer Loren Ruch gives us the inside scoop on the show.  After this week’s finale, he discusses the panel’s final deliberation. Plus, what you can expect from Meg’s new show HGTV’s Great Rooms.

It must have been hard for the design panel to choose between these two talented designers! What made them ultimately choose Meg as the winner?
It was an extremely tough decision because our design panel liked both Meg and Karl so much.  In fact, the deliberation took nearly four hours!  They reviewed all of the camera challenges and design challenges, and ultimately selected Meg as the winner.  Meg and Karl had each won two challenges throughout the season, and then split the win in the tiny houses episode, so it was a very, very even competition all the way around.

What was it like for Meg to meet so many of the HGTV talent right after the win?
Meeting our HGTV talent was a huge moment for Meg. When she said “Oh my God, you’re all real,” it was a true ‘light bulb’ moment.  She told me it was in that moment she realized winning Design Star was a life-changing event!

The original concept for the Meg’s series was Design Crimes. How did that idea evolve into HGTV’s Great Rooms?
If I’m going to be completely honest, HGTV’s Great Rooms is the same show as Design Crimes.  Meg uses her criminology background to investigate the crimes in her fellow Chicagoans homes, and then redesign the spaces to be more beautiful.  This may sound crazy, but I believe that there’s power in words, so instead of focusing on something negative (like the word “crimes”) I’d rather we focus on the positive (like “great”), which is why we changed it to HGTV’s Great Rooms.  “Great” is a double entendre in the show, because not all of the rooms are true great rooms, but they are all GREAT!

When did Meg’s show begin filming?
Meg’s show started to shoot about three weeks after we completed production of Design Star.  She needed to get working on her designs immediately following our finale.  Honestly, she hasn’t slept much since we started shooting Design Star back in March!

Can you give us any clues about what we can expect from Meg’s new show? What did you think were the best on-set moments?
I can say this with 100 percent sincerity – I think that Meg’s makeovers in HGTV’s Great Rooms are some of the biggest and best makeovers that I’ve ever seen on our air.  I truly believe that our viewers will be blown away by the level of talent she displays in this show.  By the way, HGTV’s Great Rooms debuts Saturday at 6pm ET/PT – so set your DVR’s!!  Learn more about Meg’s new show >>

Note:  The picture is one of our entire crew – look at how many people it takes to get a show like this on the air!  I want to take this opportunity to thank the best crew in the business, and the best viewers in the world…we love our HGTV fans!

Posted at 12:04 pm

247 Comments

1. I like that idea. After all it is normal people on budgets who live in houses that watch HGTV.

Carolyn on September 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm
  2. HGTV is NOT viewer friendly! They do NOT care about the us. I will NOT watch Meg's show. I will NOT SUPPORT the vendors who advertise on HGTV. Meg's winning is the LAST STRAW. They are more of a REAL ESTATE channel now & I HATE HOUSE HUNTERS! They can stuff that show where the sun don't shine!!! Sorry!
    LOREN – you are a dimwit if you think we buy the notion that Karl & Meg were equals! MEG is at best an INTERIOR DECORATOR while Karl is a TRUE INTERIOR DESIGNER!!! KARL added architectural flair to his rooms – look at that AWESOME master bedroom he did! MEG adds STUFF. UGLY STUFF. She LOVES to shop. THAT'S IT! SHOP! I don't need her mediocre shopping ideas!
    BECAUSE of Karl's master bedroom I am going to add THE SAME STYLE trim under my windows as I LOVED it. I can assure you I will NOT BE USING EVEN 1 SINGLE IDEA FROM MEG!
    LOREN – why aren't YOU responding to us? Because you are a COWARD who CAN'T give an honest, truthful, INTELLIGENT answer!
    (continued)

Cowlady on September 17, 2011 at 8:41 am
    • I LOVE capitalizing RANDOM words.

troll on September 17, 2011 at 8:52 am
      • How ironic TROLL! So do I! But – I bet we differ about the winner! I BET you wanted MEG, didn't YOU????? I also LOVE repeated punctuation marks!
        Now, here;s a challenge for you TRY posting a comment anout the TOPIC! Novel idea, huh?????

Cowlady on September 17, 2011 at 9:00 am
        • LOLOLOL. U MAD BRO?

troll on September 17, 2011 at 9:06 am
  3. Oh – about Kellie & her "online show"? Nope – not watching that either! She's another TALENTLESS DECORATOR IMHO. That "bunk bed – anybody see a BUNKBED" fiasco was the topper for me. I didn't like a SINGLE challenge she did & to break the heart of a little boy was her fall from grace for me. I mean really Kellie, "mother of the year" – how much EASIER could he have made it for you??? Why ask what he wants if you're going to do what YOU want? Sure – get his hopes up & then dash them. Do you do that with YOUR KIDS too? I feel so bad for your children if that's the kind of mother you are.
    TALENTLESS Meg & Kellie are turning off a LOT of viewers. Wonder if the advertisers will appreciate that? I will contact them too. I will launch a 1 woman campaign to get HGTV's attention & make them realize WE make them who they are! Not wanna be's like Meg & Kellie.
    BYE BYE HGTV. It became a real PRESSURE watching you!

Cowlady on September 17, 2011 at 8:42 am
  4. What paint color and Brand did Meg use in the finale? I love it!

Julie on September 17, 2011 at 9:51 am
  5. Why or why can't you pull an "American Idol" solution to two semifinalists who are both outstanding, and give Karl his own show? Like most of the other posters, I think his designs were superior. If it were me hiring a designer, I'd pick him over Meg for his creativity and how he listens to his clients and his attention to detail. He improved so much on the communication front. If that couldn't be done, I do think the judges got it wrong, much as I liked Meg.

Liesl14 on September 17, 2011 at 10:18 am
  6. sst-a, I totally agree!

Liesl14 on September 17, 2011 at 10:26 am
  7. I think that Karl is the best designer I have ever seen . I will watch any new show because anything is better than back to back episodes of House Hunter. I wish it was back to back Candice.

Dee on September 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm
  8. @Dee:
    I think it's a strategy for us to get excited when we actually SEE a design show.
    1. run 8 hours of HH & HHI -> get everyone bored out of their minds.
    2. run 2 hours of real programming on design -> everybody gets excited and flock to their tv.
    3. back to more HH another 4 hours etc…

HGTV doesn't want people to get tired of the designers by having them on too frequently because of ratings and such. They'd rather we get bored with a show where there's no moving target other than the homeowners or the houses they buy. Plus it's cheaper to produce.

Gene on September 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm
  9. what is the brand and style number of blue that Meg used in the finale?

Karen on September 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm
  10. I was so offended that the judges felt that we wanted to be"entertained" by Meg rather than be privy to the excellent, completely thought out, and truly inspired designs by Karl. I was so looking forward to his show, and the wonderful things he could teach me. I was confused when Meg won. I mean, her room was good, but It was so obvious that Kelly and Leslie styled her space, while Karl's hand was in every detail. I honestly feel most of could do what Meg does, while Karl is on a different level. Please give Karl his own show. Your loyal viewers are not nearly so stupid as you all think. We know what real design is, and who real designers are(Karl and Marc). Please dont continue to insult our intelligence. Karl so far outclassed his opponent, the real "design crime" was voting him off.

squeakflea on September 18, 2011 at 6:34 am