Kayla Kitts

Contributor to HGTVersus

Sep 16

Watch Meg’s New Show Saturday at 6/5c

Missing Design Star already? Get can’t-miss design tips and see amazing makeovers on our newest star’s show, HGTV’s Great Rooms, premiering this Saturday at 6/5c.

Meg New SHow

This week, Meg takes on Kim and Andy’s no-personality kitchen — and turns it into a “mo-ditional,” multi-functional kitchen, dining and bar space. Carpenter and host of DIY Network’s Kitchen Impossible Marc Bartolomeo joins Meg as the show’s full-time carpenter.

Meg With Marc
Go Behind the Scenes of Meg’s New Show >>

Posted at 6:24 pm

179 Comments

1. Scripps Network Interactive has been aiming to build a multi-billion dollar industry on TV since 1994 when the founders decided to create programs based on Lifestyles Media. They are now going global.

They own , HGTV, DIY, the Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel, and now GAC (Great American Country). They want to be the gatekeepers on the latest hot trends and pick who they want to promote as a name for fame and glory – everyone from Paula Deen, Rachel Ray and Bobby Flay are owned by Scripps.

When one group of people monopolizes an industry that has such a huge impact on our lives and society, it is just another tool to control the masses through cultivating and influencing what it is we 'should' like, what we 'should' buy, and how we 'should' live.

That's a lot of power. So before you click on that remote control of yours to any of their network channels, keep in mind that someone is watching you. All of your thoughts and actions are being 'guided' by those who might not always have your best interest at heart. They kind of remind me of that cartoon show, "Pinky and the Brain." LOL!

I wanted to say this before I sign off HGTV for good. Not interested in gimmicks and would rather have the freedom of my mind to pick and choose what I like and what is of best interest for me, thank you. Will go read a good book from now on.

Dont Forget on September 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm
    • This is a lot of nothing you are saying in too many words. Sign off already.

shhhh on September 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm
      • Yeah. OK. I think the writer is spot on.
        If you don't get it, then maybe time for you to go learn to read.

Laurie on September 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm
    • That was confusing!

Libby on September 16, 2011 at 6:40 pm
      • What was he or she trying to say?

Mark G on September 16, 2011 at 7:20 pm
      • It seems pretty simple to me!
        I guess you need an active brain to understand.
        Now what was it that was said when Karl was robbed of his win to Meg?

Beam-Me-Up-Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here… :)

latenight on September 16, 2011 at 9:26 pm
        • Well who is watching and how?

Mark G on September 17, 2011 at 6:13 am
          • I don't think the blogger meant it to be literal. If we're being herded around like sheep (masses) then it would stand to reason that Scripps is observing (watching) through numbers (ratings) and reactions (blogs, focus groups), trends (present and future). Could use it to figure out how they can push or not push their agenda – whatever it might be. Look at Meg for example, they've repackaged her for her new show to make her more 'appealing.' Strip her away of that and she would just be another mediocre designer. So viewer beware! lol :)

Max on September 17, 2011 at 6:47 am
          • Well that could be said for every company in America, including the one you work for…Most companies monitor in and out going email, along with monitoring what on-line sites you visit, and how much time is wasted surfing the net…Our every activity is being tracked these days, and there's really not much we can do about it…Nothing is private anymore, and people joining social networks are making it easier for outsiders to obtain even more information.

Mark G on September 17, 2011 at 8:41 am
          • Yes. ALL the more reason to nicely get reminded now and again. That reality is constantly in the background and we are becoming desensitized to it, even though we shouldn't. People get caught up in the moment and forget.

Don't buy into the hype.
            Just because someone takes an ordinary pair of shoes from your closet and gift wraps it in a box all nice shiny, doesn't change the fact that they are just a pair of ordinary shoes. ie – Meg

Max on September 17, 2011 at 12:37 pm
    • I watched Great Rooms with Meg last night and was NOT disappointed! She did not look like this was her first time as a host! She looked very comfortable and was charming/enthusiastic during her show! I really loved how she interviewed the couple separately to find their design preferences, incorporated those into her final designs, and great tips on how to child-proof upholstery. :) She did a beautiful job! I loved the painted green legs of the table, the use of space in the kitchen, the vertical backsplash, the colors, and the deconstructed bar. Meg is GENIUS and HGTV was brillliant for picking her for this great new series! I look forward to watching Meg as the host and seriously hope that her series continues! If her series continues, I would suggest, though, that they change the name to "Design Crimes with Meg". Her "theme" is really catchy and I love it!

Michelle Nugent on September 18, 2011 at 6:45 am
      • I loved the original title "Design Crimes with Meg". Great Rooms is not an exciting title.

Wall Flower on September 18, 2011 at 7:19 am
  2. Meg's before/ after pictures of the show are FANTASTIC. I am not sure why the haters on the blog are so spiteful (and hateful, I might add) but she clearly proves herself in the upcoming shows based on the pics. I would hire any of the final four designers, but I think Meg will shine in her show. I am excited by and entertained by her energy and persona. I also enjoy that she is not a waifish made-for-tv- "beauty." She is appealing, easy to watch, warm, considerate, and real. What is more beautiful than that?

DesignModYes on September 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm
    • Design talent maybe? Since this is a design show. I hope she does a lot better than when she was in the "contest".

Who left those sticks in the dining room?

Nancy on September 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm
    • Yes – she is great. She's very approachable and likeable.

Wall Flower on September 18, 2011 at 7:21 am
    • I could not agree more and loved her new show. She deserved to win but all of the final four were great.

HGTV Lover on September 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm
  3. There is no way that Meg will be doing all the redesign on her own. I'm sure she has creative assistants and other staff to notice her lack of talent and correct her mistakes before the show airs. She probably will seem talented when she takes credit for the work of her legitimately creative staff. Just remember how much she benefited from Karl's vastly superior ideas in the tiny house contest.

amp on September 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm
    • Yeah! How disgusting Meg's just willing to go along with it so she can have a TV show.
      FAKE! FAKE! FAKE!!!

Jenna on September 17, 2011 at 7:46 am
    • I think yyou are WAY off base…what akes you think she has creative assistants? Is it your ample experience in this field? Your design knowledge? Your experience in television? Oh wait, you don't have any of those. How about you channel all of that negative energy and put it into celebrating another's well deserved success.

Michelle Nugent on September 18, 2011 at 6:35 am
  4. If you want love, go to your mother.

orderlyl on September 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm
    • LOL

Mark G on September 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm
  5. THAT'S one I'll be sure to miss.

orderlyl on September 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm
  6. Hmmm… this could be interesting.

Libby on September 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm
    • I did not mean nessacerily a good interesting.

Libby on September 19, 2011 at 7:02 am
  7. Although I was rooting for Karl, I intend to watch Meg's show. The die has been cast and I want to see how everything turned out. I've decorated my house using design ideas (some big, some tiny) from all of HGTV's designers — even the ones I'm not that crazy about. Maybe she'll be a hit, maybe not, but I want to see for myself.

Sandra on September 16, 2011 at 7:54 pm
    • I watched Meg's show and I thought it was great, especially for her first one. She also has a very entertaining carpenter

Alice on September 18, 2011 at 6:21 am
  8. Saturday at 6:00 eastern? What kind of lame time slot is that? You'd think HGTV would have their newest design star's premier show on during prime time. Apparently Meg's show doesn't rate that high, even with the execs.

KarenK on September 16, 2011 at 8:52 pm
    • isn't that slot taken up by debbie does dallas or something?

Lina on September 16, 2011 at 9:28 pm
      • lol debbie does dallas! It may start out at 6:00 Eastern, but if it follows normal HGTV ways, it'll be on again and again and again and again, until it will rerun the same 5 Meg shows for a month.

I miss Discovery Channels old line up of design shows. :Y

kate on September 18, 2011 at 6:31 am
    • I missed the show because here in AZ they actually listed it as 9pm. Go figure.

Erin on September 18, 2011 at 7:10 am
  9. The jig is up HGTV. We know Meg can't design!
    Nice cover up adding Marc Bartolomeo to her show.
    Too bad he can't teach her how to be a better designer.
    LOL! What a joke this is.

Jamie on September 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm
    • Yeah I tried to watch a couple of his kitchen re-models. It's good but very boring. I couldn't sit through a whole show of his because it was so boring. It's a big yawn fest.

Michelle on September 17, 2011 at 7:50 am
  10. wth is mo-ditional? I hate that word.
    Reminds me of the 3 Stooges re-runs.
    Mo, Larry and Curly =/

Karl created his white box challenge inspired by the Mondrian style (on his blog).
    Now there's a word that speaks volumes about creativity!

Lawrence on September 16, 2011 at 9:52 pm