Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

May 22

Meet This Season’s Design Star Blogger

Hey there, Design Star fans!

I’d like to introduce you to, well…me.  I’m Liz, and I’ll be your online tour guide for this season of Design Star. Every week, I’ll share behind-the-scenes photos, from-the-set interviews with David, Design Star commentary from last season’s winner, Meg, and so much more!

Design Star Blogger Liz Gray

Most importantly: I’ll also be here to dish with you about how hideous that lamp was or how you want that sofa in your house, stat.  Or how you want _____ to go home, immediately.

We asked all the Design Star contestants to answer a fun questionnaire (check back for their answers all week!), so I thought I’d answer a few of the questions so we can get to know each other better.

What is the one spot in your home that is the messiest or least designed?
I recently bought a midcentury fixer-upper, so the kitchen and its particle board cabinets and floral linoleum is definitely the ugliest (for now!).  The messiest: A bedroom in the back of the house that’s piled with moving boxes, stray socks and anything else we don’t know what to do with.

If you got to add one thing to the White House, it would be… A mini, dog house version of the White House for the first dog, Bo.

Yes or No…
Jacuzzi tubs? No
Sunburst mirrors? Yes
Wallpaper?  Yes
Brass Yes
Carpeting No way.
Dogs on the bed? Yes
Paneling Yes, I’m a fan.
Taxidermy No…unless it’s artificial.

What’s your hidden skill or talent?  I’m a human jukebox. Once I hear a song, I remember the lyrics…forever.  It comes in handy at karaoke and when I want to reenact my 8th grade role in The Music Man.

What color do you hate? Peach.

Now tell me about yourself – I want to get to know you! What’s your most-hated hue? Biggest design pet peeve? Messiest room of your house? Room you’re most proud of? Shout it out in the comments below.

Looking forward to chatting with all of you!

Posted at 3:21 pm

16 Comments

1. Peach use to be MY most hated color too! But I'm loving the neon oranges, corals, and peach colors popping up now. Look forward to dishing with you!!

Rae on May 22, 2012 at 11:43 am
    • You make an excellent point. I may have to give it a second look…

Liz_HGTV on May 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm
      • peach can give a nice warm glow to a room

Ravegirl on June 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm
  2. Usually orange is my most hated hue (influence of 70's); messiest room…garage (if it doesn't fit in the house it's boxed up for donation or storage); pet peeve – living with the same decor (forever) once a professional decorates your house; favorite room – thanks to HGTV, my whole house (I designed the less than 2000 sq. ft. lake house from pre-made plans, used passive solar, put foam insulation over and under the house, wall beds in 3 of 4 bedrooms, and change decor seasonally in the great room) …. I'm obviously a BIG fan!!!!

mary m. on May 22, 2012 at 3:17 pm
    • I can totally relate to not liking the awful '70s orange. (See: my house's carpet…ew.) The lake house sounds fantastic — I'd love to see photos. Looking forward to watching Design Star with you!

Liz_HGTV on May 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm
  3. I could not believe last night's episode with David Bromstad, Jamie Durie and Antonio B as judges! I was shocked, surprised and overwhelmed with their response to the "Alien underground"! What were they thinking? I was so amazed-I thought they were all drunk or on drugs!
    For a moment I tried to sympathize with the designer-we all have stumbling blocks and his was HUGE! I feel a designer should be able to communicate their idea or at least put pen/pencil to paper and TRY to design something FUNCTIONAL! All of the designers had functionality, (but the individual who's name escapes me suddenly). He had a conglomeration of christmas lights and the rest of it looked random! I am very disappointed and I do not think I can watch Design Star for sometime. I do not wish to hurt the designer but if you want to be called a designer-then design something for this world you are in-not a world for aliens! Honestly I do not think an alien would have liked that so called "underground world". If anything it should just be put underground! I know Vern Yip would have voiced his true opinion and so would have Candice Olson! Ask them and let me know what they thought.

Penny Shol on May 23, 2012 at 7:29 am
  4. Is it true that Kris Jenner will be on the show this season – as a judge or whatever? If so, I'm disappointed because I won't be able to watch this season. That woman is a skank – along with at least one of her daughters, Kim. Those two are disgusting, dishonest, greedy, insincere, and amoral. I don't watch their numerous shows E! insists on running and change the channel when any Kardashian/Jenner shows up on other shows. Please tell me it isn't so that she'll be appearing on Design Star!

JanaInSendera on May 25, 2012 at 8:58 am
    • Hi JanalnSendera,
      Yes, Kris will be featured on one episode. Even if you're not a fan personally, the makeover on that episode is pretty amazing.

Liz_HGTV on May 25, 2012 at 11:49 am
      • Well, you can't neg Liz! I knew Design Starved was fixed, but the blogs too?

erikcreature on May 25, 2012 at 3:39 pm
      • That's too bad – to say "I'm not a fan" falls far short of describing my opinion of the kardashian/jenner clan. SInce I go way out of my way to avoid patronizing them or furthering their egomaniacal statetments about how much their fans 'are in love with them' and how they're the 'American royal fammily' – gagggg, I don't watch or buy into anything they're involved in so I'll just have to skip that episode. Thanks for your prompt reply.

JanaInSendera on May 26, 2012 at 7:46 am
      • HGTV needs to listen to their long standing viewers…Amazing or not, with all the constant contraversy and that swarms around the Jenner/Kardashians, I'm extremely surprised HGTV would include them in their show in any capacity. AND I doubt that trashy family participates or can relate to anything even close to what goes on, on HGTV. They are not decoraters, designers, DIY, Gardeners, landscapers etc. AND good taste is not their forte in many areas. So where do they come in? Ratings? If so thats a cop out for your viewers. The media constantly pushes these horrible people in our faces and shoves them down our throats…we don't need to see them on our favorite shows now too. If HGTV and their agents(bloggers included)support them in your programing, then my idea of HGTV has changed. No Values, No Morals, Greed, selfishness, self absortion, exploitation, are what the Kardashians are about…Is that what HGTV is about now too? I may be only 1 person, but trust me, Their are masses who think this way and do all to avoid, not support products or anything associated with that family.

TaintedLove on June 2, 2012 at 8:51 am
  5. I have to agree with the Kris Jenner comments. I am not a fan either and I don't understand why they selected her. I think there's some truly wonderful people out there that could have filled her space. Did HGTV select her because she brings in the ratings? I'm disappointed they choose her. And I have to say I don't know her personally, but I really think that whole family overconsumes and truly doesn't get the meaning to life. It's not materialistic items that makes life here special. I feel like they're all about materialistic items more that anything. At least that's the impression I have of them.

Jennyloola on May 29, 2012 at 9:48 am
  6. HGTV needs to listen to their long standing viewers…Amazing or not, with all the constant contraversy and that swarms around the Jenner/Kardashians, I'm extremely surprised HGTV would include them in their show in any capacity. AND I doubt that trashy family participates or can relate to anything even close to what goes on, on HGTV. They are not decoraters, designers, DIY, Gardeners, landscapers etc. AND good taste is not their forte in many areas. So where do they come in? Ratings? If so thats a cop out for your viewers. The media constantly pushes these horrible people in our faces and shoves them down our throats…we don't need to see them on our favorite shows now too. If HGTV and their agents(bloggers included)support them in your programing, then my idea of HGTV has changed. No Values, No Morals, Greed, selfishness, self absortion, exploitation, are what the Kardashians are about…Is that what HGTV is about now too? I may be only 1 person, but trust me, Their are masses who think this way and do all to avoid, not support products or anything associated with that family.

TaintedLove on June 2, 2012 at 8:53 am
  7. I do not support the Kardashian brand; however, I love Design Star. If anyone can raise their trashy taste level, it will be one of the contestants. :)

brightintexas on June 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm
  8. I keep coming back to watch, then see another like Stanley get so much praise. I haven't seen anything from him that is commendable or usable. The winner, oh my! I'm afraid we'll have another Antonio which I cannot watch. I refuse to watch the Kardashians, but did catch the final rooms and reviews. I fear another dissapointment this season. Luckily I'm leaving on vacation. Don't think I'll even bother to DVR the show this year. David is the only true Design Star Winner.

Annie on June 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm
  9. I have a wonderful home built in 1937. I love everything about it but…. I have to add on a bath and bedroom on the back due to health issues. I have to have both knees replaced and wont be able to climb stairs for about a year. Do you have any suggestions for what I need to ask a builder for?

Lucy Ogden on January 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm