Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

May 30

David on the Collage: “It’d Look Good…In My Trash Can”

Design Star Host and Mentor David Bromstad

David’s back this season with behind-the-scenes dish from the set.  This week: Hear about behind-the-scenes fights, his favorite spaces and, of course, the collage.

Now it’s your turn: Did you agree with David’s favorites?

Posted at 1:28 pm

40 Comments

1. I was not thrilled with any of the room designs. I wish the designers did less team work. Yes, I know
    that adds to the drama, and we all need to learn to work together, but it goes against the very nature of the work.
    Designers have strong opinions and ideas about how things should look. Many design decisions cannot be argued out, because those decisions can be very subjective or intuitive. The living room would have looked much better with a pale gray or off white, photos much bigger, no cheap trim tacked up on the walls, too much going
    on all over the room. If you have a huge room, put a couple of huge elements in it that could never have the chance to reside in a smaller room. For example, a tall tree, a gianormous painting, or really impressive book
    shelves. What I look for in a room is simplicity at first glance, then complexity as you examine further, comfort, unique elements, quality, functionality, natural light. Hoping for better things to come in the next episode. By the way, I love the show!

lesliembizz on May 30, 2012 at 11:29 am
  2. When I previewed the design portfolios before the series began this season, Rachel was the standout to me even then. Looks at this point as if the competition might be between her and Danielle, but I know it's too early to tell. The White Room Challenge will be fun to see next week.

Moonbeam on May 30, 2012 at 11:59 am
  3. I agree about the team work designs. This is design STAR and the individual should be the focus. I'd love to see them work independently for every project; featuring their own style. I don't like the fighting and struggling for assertion. If a designer doesn't fight for their ideas they are chastised. If they are strong and hold their ground then they're deemed uncooperative. When they get their own show they are on their own so that's the way the competition should be. I too, didn't care for any of the rooms. I think the show should be more practical in their projects. It should be more like what they're competing for. I am looking forward to seeing their efforts on the white rooms because this is the perfect challenge for their abilities as long as the criteria isn't too restrictive. .

Linda Bass on May 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    • I too am frustrated by the team design projects, but I suspect part of that is due to budget considerations, especially in the beginning when there are so many contestants. But I agree that too many good contestants have been sabotaged when forced to work in a group.

Moonbeam on May 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm
      • I feel that Yuki was sabotaged by her partner when he trashed her collage with all that rubbish he stuck up on the wall with it. She was not even given the chance to defend herself. I also did not like the statements made about the projects that were not done well. The judges must remember that these contestants are design professionals in their real lives and should be spoken to with respect.

Snooks on May 31, 2012 at 2:43 am
  4. Oh, I'd like to add that Daisy Fuentes brought nothing to the show. Her comments were boring and it was obvious she lacked design knowledge. I miss Candice. Obviously, she's not available so why not make David a judge and let someone else host the show. If you can't bring Clive back then find someone else with sparkling personality. David needs to be a judge. I don't like this celebrity, non-professional judge idea.

Linda Bass on May 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm
    • Totally agree. Rap star next week–disappointing. Would love to have had Jamie Durie on the panel!

Ppb on May 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm
  5. Love, Love, Love David's video comments!!! This was a great addition to this season's viewing. Hope HGTV keeps it up for each episode…

MK from NJ on May 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm
  6. Oh, and David hosting and mentoring! Inspired!!! :)

MK from NJ on May 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm
  7. I could not believe that Kris was allowed to talk to Bex the way he did. It put her in tough spot early in the game. I also do not like the team project. I want to see each person's style.

Vickie on May 30, 2012 at 2:05 pm
  8. i so want to know where hilary got that couch. i don't like the teams either but in the real world don't alot of people like two different styles and want them combined. Also when you set up housekeeping for real with another person you have to meet the expectations of both and there are shows on that do just that.

nancy mitchell on May 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm
    • Emily Henderson combines different people's styles so well.

Moonbeam on May 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    • When you set up housekeeping it shouldn't be a competion but two people coming together to create something they both enjoy. That's compromising not competing. Unfortunately it can be the true test of a relationship. Many a marriage has ended in divorce after the new home is finished or the baby is born.

Mervwolf on May 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm
  9. Definitely can't wait to see individual work! Agree with Vickie on Kris…he may be outta there fast if he doesn't ease up.

@Waylan on May 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm
  10. Absolutely LOVED the spinning gears! HATED all the blue. What is it about male designers that want to FORCE their will & demand their designs be the only ideas used???

Woody Sue on May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm