Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

May 31

Ask the Producer: Season Premiere

Have you ever wondered what really happens behind the scenes on the Design Star set? Every week, the show’s producer, Loren Ruch, will answer a few questions about life during filming and what we didn’t see on TV.  Read his inside scoop on the premiere, then ask away — he might just answer your question next week.

Producer Loren Ruch With Design Star Judges

Genevieve Gorder, Producer Loren Ruch, Vern Yip, David Bromstad, Guest Judge Daisy Fuentes

How did you find the house for the designers’? Can you break down the location scouting process?
We actually captured the whole process of finding the house for the designers on an episode of Selling LA this year! It was a tough process because we have such a long laundry list of requests that we’re not willing to compromise on. For example, we needed to make sure that there were enough bedrooms for all of our designers to live like adults, plenty of bathrooms, a large enough kitchen for 12 people to eat in, backyard space for them to enjoy on their downtime, room to store camera equipment and lots of blank walls so that they can transform the entire place in the first episode. We ultimately settled on a gorgeous home in the San Fernando Valley near our Evaluation Studio. We rented the house for two months, and made it the home base for the 12 designers.

Were you surprised by any of the designers personalities/performances in the first episode? (I.E., they were one way in the audition and another on the show.)
Great question! I was absolutely blown away by a few of the designers/rooms in the first episode, but I was also disappointed by others. I’m usually a ‘glass half full’ type of guy, but that Designer’s Lounge by Yuki and Stanley was one of the worst spaces we’ve had in many seasons of the show! It was like a color explosion that you couldn’t get out of your head. I felt badly for them because they knew it didn’t turn out the way they wanted it to. On the other side of the coin, Rachel, Hilari, Danielle and Luca designed their tushes off in the den and living room. I also really liked Britany’s wall treatment and some of Mikel’s dramatic accents in the guest bedroom. Personality-wise, I was a bit shocked at how much trouble Bex and Kris had with each other – they are both very nice people, so it was odd to watch them start on the wrong foot with each other.

Were there any rooms that looked better in person than on TV? Worse?
The Design Studio, if possible, looked even worse in person. The only room that looked better when I watched it back on television than it did in person was Bex and Kris’s bedroom. The others looked pretty similar to what you saw on the show.

What was your favorite or most memorable moment on the set of the first episode?
My favorite moment is when we get to see all of the designers meet each other for the first time! I love to see 12 total strangers start to bond – and ultimately make some of their closest lifelong friendships. I feel honored to be part of that experience. I also enjoy seeing Gen and Vern at their first walk-through, because there’s usually a very long hiatus between seasons where we don’t see as much of each other. And finally, I liked getting to know the gorgeous and talented Daisy Fuentes too!

What do you want to know about the making of Design Star? Leave a question for Loren in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 am

16 Comments

1. It might be nice if you gave encouraging words to inspire the person voted off as well as those who support the fan favorite!

Nancy Ray on May 31, 2012 at 7:28 am
    • That room looked nasty. These people are professional adults competing to win. We should encourage them like we do the losers of a little league game with purple sno-cones?!

She's a fane favorite because she has a ton of her minions voting for her thousands of times a day. Should be interesting to see where she is at when the voting stops and IF the producers would want more of her "vomit reminiscent" rooms to appear with their brand behind it.

Loren Scott on May 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm
      • Wow! hate much??

Nancy Ray on June 1, 2012 at 10:24 am
  2. "Design Starved" sucks.

Here's a plan: Because of the real Estate Crash, there are totally empty condo buildings all over the USA. Give however many "designers" their own condo unit to work on. Wait three or four weeks before your have to decide to eliminate, say 4 or 5 (based on who is doing the most damage to their project condo.) Then keep it going for another few weeks, and do another elimination. Get it down to the best three or four and let that be the final contest.

Of course getting better judges and contestants would be a big help, too! And a new producer would be a big plus!

erikcreature on May 31, 2012 at 11:50 am
  3. Snap. Sounds like somebody got turned down for the show!!!

Angry on May 31, 2012 at 12:49 pm
  4. it seems to me like everyone on this blog (Bromstad, Meg, The Producer) either likes a room or doesn't. In reality couldn't a person personally like a room even though the judges didn't. I mean if they are telling the designers they need to be origional shouldn't the critics be too?

Riley on May 31, 2012 at 2:33 pm
  5. How can you allow a designer to destroy another designer's work and then vote that designer off? This is totally unethical and not worthy of this show. Stanley destroyed the collage made by Yuki and did nothing else but showcase a scupture that he may or may not have made. I am very upset that he was allowed to stay after defacing her work and shocked at the mean spirited and unprofessional comments of the judges and mentor.

JCW,RN on May 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    • So agree with you! Could they not see what Stanley did??

Nancy Ray on June 1, 2012 at 10:27 am
  6. This once was a great show. Once I show Kris Kardashian Jenner as a future guest judge, I decided I had to try and watch this season. Maybe she'll bring her daughter's sex tape as design inspiration. Really, that trash knows design? You're losing me and hopefully other fans!

Jay N TX on May 31, 2012 at 6:22 pm
  7. My question is who decides on the quest judges? Kris K. really?? I am a loyal watcher of HGTV and have watched all of the Design Star shows but when decision like this are made I will stop. What does she have to do with design? Not happy about this choice and I am glad to know which show she will be on so I can tune that one out and maybe the rest of the show. Not sure who else you have chosen that is not an influence I care to help advance to the public. But this one I opt out.

Debbie Hyman on June 1, 2012 at 7:00 am
  8. I do not watch the show for the producers opinion. I hope he does that behind the scenes! Why does everyone want to cast themselves as the Star? I want to learn more about the Designers. PLEASE!

It is Design Star not Producer Star?

DesignLove on June 1, 2012 at 8:20 am
  9. As I was watching this first episode, I wondered how many cameras are being used at one time? Does each contestant have a camera? How many hours of film get cut for each episode? I really like that there were carpenters and painters available for the contestants this year, as well as additional time for the challenge. This raises the bar for the quality of the designs. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

jo c on June 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm
  10. What happened to Candice? She was by far the best judge in past seasons!

DesignStarFan on June 4, 2012 at 8:10 am