Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 1

Sneak Peek: White Room Challenge

Next time on Design Star: The legendary white room challenge! Creativity is key in this classic test — but some designers are their own worst enemy.

David Bromstad With the Design Star Contestants

See exclusive scenes from episode two after the jump.

Predictions: Who do you think will be next to go home?

Posted at 3:08 pm

22 Comments

1. Meira couldn't mount blocks of wood to the wall??? What was she using for glue? Ben Gay?

Luca said, "I don't think a concept is necessary for design!?!?!" Get a clue Luca!

Bex couldn't cut plastic pipe with a power saw? You can cut it with heavy duty fishing line! But you can't do either if you're a ditz! She didn't know what to do now. How about go home!

Those were the three that were shown. As bad as they are, I suspect they were best of show, and the others are worse still!

GAG!

erikcreature on June 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    • Have you tried man-handling 10 foot lengths of pipe with by yourself? Easy with someone to help steady the pipe, but nearly impossible to do solo if the pipe is thicker than the saw blade and requires turning to cut.

Stan on June 3, 2012 at 8:39 am
      • We're not talking cast iron pipe here. A kid can "manhandle" a 10 foot piece of plastic pipe. Bex tried to use both a miter circular saw and a table circular saw. Both appeared to have had enough radius on the blade to cut clean through the pipe. She just had no idea how to use the tools. She was afraid of the saws. All she had to do was cut the power after each cut, and remove the cut piece of pipe. And, it's easy to clamp the pipe to make the cut. She could have used a miter box and hand saw, faster than what she was screwing around with.

A real designer should have a working knowledge of all the trades you will have to deal with on the job. It's not that you have to do everything yourself, it's that you won't design things that make the subcontractors do everything the hard way, because you know what they have to do to accomplish your design. That can save your clients money. Also, you will get respect and fewer excuses from your subs, when they know, that you know, how to do their jobs. And in a crunch, you can get it done without them.

erikcreature on June 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm
    • Somebody's angry. Could it be more obvious that you got booted from the casting process? Your general negativity toward the show and how terrible everyone on it is made me look back at the "Ask the Producer" section and surprise, surprise, you posted this: " 'Design Starved' sucks…….. " Show some creativity please.

TheArts on June 5, 2012 at 1:51 pm
      • I wouldn't lower myself to audition for "Design Starved."

My complaint is that they are using the word DESIGN, and only showing us inferior decorators. Not that you would know the difference!

erikcreature on June 5, 2012 at 3:12 pm
        • Oooohhh, and who are YOU?

tiagolin on June 7, 2012 at 5:23 pm
  2. Kris is like Cathy from last year! And I don't think it's fair to have the first challenge one where you have to work with another designer.

Libby on June 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm
  3. Love Bex's portfolio! I hope she can pull it off…it would be a great show with all that yummy color!

Susan on June 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm
  4. NO,NO,NO! It is soooo wrong to have the first challenge to be with another designer. White room should set the tone of the show for the rest of the season.

CLF on June 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm
    • I totally agree. They shouldn't have started with partnering.

Peggy on June 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm
  5. I agree. Let's see what each person is capable of doing by themselves. That way no one can blame anyone but themselves if they are the first to go. I do think they should have to work together with others and you should be able to judge that because it is very important working with clients, but not on the first challenge. Let them do it alone.

sue on June 3, 2012 at 4:20 am
  6. Brittany is the standout for me so far. I love her use of bold pattern and color. That should make for some beautiful and interesting design.

Peggy on June 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm
  7. Go Bex Go!!

Heather on June 4, 2012 at 9:31 am
  8. Who won tonight?

dritter on June 5, 2012 at 6:36 pm
    • It was Rachel! You can get more info about the episode in the Episode 2 recap if you're interested. Also, the full episode is online now if you missed it!

Liz_HGTV on June 7, 2012 at 10:15 am
      • I don't see the full episode when I follow your link … :(

@Stevnated on June 12, 2012 at 10:42 pm
  9. The hanging couch is interesting but who is going to incorporate that into their living room? I just don't get why they look for things like that instead of the rooms that look like a design that someone would PAY for. It's unrealistic.

Angie on June 5, 2012 at 7:59 pm
  10. I am a fan along with my daughter on tuesdays…we are right there giving our review from " the couch"~

The hanging couch and the use of the tables for lighting was very unique ~ As an artist it really caught my eye.

The room with the Yellow & Black "X" was super~a room to create those great tunes and she is real ready to win

The white couch with bling is nice and she just needs to expand and go for it to win

The room with the colors and the classy lady painting is nice and she is ready to win

Hawa and Sufana Wajed ~ fans of Hgtv