Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 13

David On Episode 3: “It’s Not the Design Star Way”

Host David Bromstad dishes on why this was one of the “most exciting challenges ever,” the out-of-control fighting and which rooms he’d design differently.

Design Star Host David Bromstad

Hear what David has to say from the set:

Do you agree with David? Is the fighting out of control? Did the right person go home? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 9:49 am

57 Comments

1. HGTV should concentrate on the design ideas the designers create and NOT the personal drama crap!

Jdcrate on June 13, 2012 at 6:23 am
  2. David, shame on you for not even mentioning the #2 winner of the challenge. First off Rachel's contributions to the room far outweighed Stanley's (and you all know it) but were not mentioned on air or here by you. It is clear there are behind the scenes communications that should not be taking place! Everyone knows that the real talent this year is Rachel Kate. OMG she is killing it episode after episode. Look at the curtains…classic Rachel and the same for the geometric patterned wallpaper. And trust me, I am guessing she picked out the tables and the chandelier. Someone told me she graduated with honors from Parsons. Is that true? If it is, then I was wondering why that hasn't been mentioned on air or in her bio! It's all mighty fishy. The episode was clearly manipulated.

Cherie on June 13, 2012 at 6:23 am
    • I agree. There seems to be some definite pro Stanley manipulation going on. Not only did they gloss over the fact Rachel was the primary design talent in the room but they seemed to down play Mikel & Brittany's great design also; giving them very little airtime.

LL-gg on June 13, 2012 at 7:32 pm
  3. Seriously! There is enough "manufactured drama" on other shows. This should be all about DESIGN! I used to garner tips from this show. Now it is all about the personal interactions and the results. I watch HGTV to learn about design… design I can do myself.

Guest commentator on June 13, 2012 at 6:49 am
  4. We didn't see much of the drama that you mentioned concerning Bex and Luca….but from what we did see, Luca was the primary cause…..I'd say Bex was thrown off by that knuckle dragger….

David…I don't care what you would have done….you have btdt…keep it to yourself or showcase it on your own show…you do still have your own show don't you? seems like these design stars just go poof after their guaranteed season.

'Fraid your comments were just too snarky for me concerning Bex and Luca now go find the nice David and bring him back.

moly on June 13, 2012 at 7:34 am
  5. The whole Design Star show is getting tired. Sorry but the concept (I thought) was to find someone with talent, energy for the camera, and give them a show of their own. Don't need to hear about how they think they will "shine" Most of the cast are very self-centered and are looking to please the judges and really aren't concerned about design. They just don't get they have to work with each other, the client, carpenters, etc to pull it all together. Get down off your self-made pedestal and just start designing rooms we would like to re-create at home! You may think you are a wonderful designer, by honestly, I don't see it. Stop all the attitudes, fighting and thinkiing only of yourself.

babs on June 13, 2012 at 9:24 am
  6. I don't understand how you guys could complain about what David has to say about the show. He's giving his opinion and observations and he has every right to do so, just like everyone has their own opinions about the show, who is the better designer and so on. I like hearing what he has to say because it gives a different perspective or better details on things we didn't hear or see on the show itself.
    With all that said, I love the show, the contestants and David. I'm sad to see Bex go, but she didn't shine and despite Luca being a jerk (as far as what was aired) I think she could've done much better. Oh wells. Can't wait for the next episode! =)

Adri on June 13, 2012 at 9:33 am
  7. Kris Jenner was "real?" Where? On Planet Plastica? That women inflicted her family on the public consciousness and should be punished for that alone.

Ernie on June 13, 2012 at 11:20 am
  8. Was really sorry to see Bex go. She is very creative, but unfortunately, her creativity was hampered by bad partners. Was really hoping she'd be one of the finalists. I will surely miss her!

Love Brittney, Danielle and Mikel. I think Danielle had an off night, which was unfortunate, but I think she'll bounce back next week. Mikel is showing signs of being a great designer. The test is to see if he improves over the coming weeks, learning as he goes along. Brittney just needs to keep doing what she's doing.

Love the show, love David. Wish the producers would just put a skirt around the judge's table to eliminate the whole issue of seeing up short skirts.

Great show. I know many of the winners have gone away, but we do have some great winners in David, Antonio and Meg. Love their shows!

doggiemom on June 13, 2012 at 11:22 am
  9. So sad to see Bex go home she was not the cause of the fighting. Glad to see Luca go he was self obsesed not a team player or even good with design in my opinion. Bex great attitude in the mist of a hard situation. The design done on this episode was awesome to watch come together. I can hardly wait for next weeks show! :)

Alexis on June 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    • Midst – not mist.

Learn to spell on June 14, 2012 at 9:25 am
  10. Sorry to see Bex go. I like how she dresses. Not sorry to see Luca go. "I deserve to be with the Kardashians?" He really needs a dose of humility. I have to say though, that painting was excellent. Good colors, matched the room, but Vern was probably right — not appropriate for that room. Good job judges. I will they would lose the 2-person elimination – or at least keep it as an option for bad design, not a predetermined thing. Bex shouldn't have gone this week.

Design is cool on June 13, 2012 at 1:05 pm