Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 13

David On Episode 3: “It’s Not the Design Star Way”

Host David Bromstad dishes on why this was one of the “most exciting challenges ever,” the out-of-control fighting and which rooms he’d design differently.

Design Star Host David Bromstad

Hear what David has to say from the set:

Do you agree with David? Is the fighting out of control? Did the right person go home? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 9:49 am

57 Comments

1. I am so looking forward to next week. Sabrina Soto is a great choice for celebrity host. She could replace Candice as a permenant co-host and I would be happy to watch.

JoeBob on June 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm
  2. wrong winner for this episode, Stanley is not talented and definitely not host material! Shame on the judges! But as I've seen in past seasons, HGTV has a hidden agenda of who they plan to be the next winner. Clearly not the most talented, like Meg – yuck!

Jules on June 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm
  3. I really like Sabrina Soto. She has a great show and a great personality. David's personality is over all Mr. Nice Guy. His role is to be mentor and facilitator. I don't think his comments about Bex and Luca were inappropriate but I did think he should have said it in a nicer way. If I were still a contestant I might really worry that bad things could be said about me if I lost. Keep criticism on a professional, not a personal level.

brightintexas on June 13, 2012 at 3:12 pm
  4. We want less drama, more design! Stop casting people for their potential for drama – like Luca and Kris. After three seconds of hearing them speak, it's obvious they could/would NEVER have their own show – so why cast them? Drama. All it does is trip up designers that may otherwise have been fabulous. Bex got the worst two designers on the entire show. After looking at her portfolio it's apparent she is a wonderful designer who was forced to spend too much creative energy battling awful partners. Stop casting bullies and support real designers!

SharonV on June 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm
  5. Anybody know what color the walls were painted?

Kate on June 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm
  6. I don't think Bex deserved to go at all. It seemed like she tried to hold her own against Luca after being bossed around by Kris. I think that was the wrong choice and David's comments are off base because she seemed to have a sweet personality and exited with grace. Also agree with the comments about Stanley. As far as I could tell all he did was pick out a desk. Rachel is a real contender, but the producers must have another in mind since Rachel did not get enough praise from judges and David didn't even mention her!! The ladies really are killing it this season. Sad they got rid of a good one.

guest on June 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm
  7. Bex is gone, Darn! I liked her and would watch a show of hers. As has been said already, she got roped 2 weeks with the worst personalities on the show. She had to deal most of the time with personality and not her design. Do the judges get to see video clips of the pettiness of contestants? If Kris were to get his own show, I would not watch it, knowing how he has treated both Bex and Meira.

Coolirose on June 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm
  8. Rachel stuck her neck out with the green couches. They really are beautifully shaped, but the color — puts the ugh in ugly. She called it puce green. (puce is brownish purple) I think she meant to say puke green.

tiagolin on June 13, 2012 at 5:30 pm
  9. I agree Luca seemed the cause of the angst himself and Bex, but Bex didn't go home just because of that. She also did those little boxes on the wall which were completely inadequate for the space and its purpose, and the display shelves were too closed off on the other wall. There was nobody else whose contribution was not at least a little, and often a lot, better than hers was this week. But I think she may have been off her game partly because of Luca's attitude, which I suppose would understandably have impeded her focus and creativity.

Moonbeam on June 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm
  10. Add to above comment, "with the exception of Luca, there was nobody whose contribution was not at least a little bit better than Bex's." I didn't mean to imply his was better. I don't like his work at all. I just meant that Bex was not at her best this week, but who could be while having to fight with Luca most of the time?

Moonbeam on June 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm