Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jun 19

Episode 4 Recap: Famous Last Words (Don’t Worry, I Know What I’m Doing)

Host David Bromstad With Designers

I’m a sucker for a makeover with real homeowners..after all, who wouldn’t want someone else to completely transform their home in a weekend? I know I would. Two neighbors got their wish this week with makeovers of an indoor living space that connects to an outdoor one. Here’s my take on what happened and this week’s big winners and losers.

Danielle and Miera in Finished Living Room
Danielle and Miera: As soon as Miera said “Don’t worry, I know what I’m doing” re. the built-in shelving unit, I started to worry. Actually, everyone involved in the room looked perpetually worried…Danielle, the carpenter, probably the camera guy, and eventually Miera, who said she hoped “when the panel goes through our room, they don’t have a magnifying glass.” Unfortunately, inspector Vern didn’t need a magnifying glass to see what was wrong with the shelving unit, and Miera was sent home this week. Here’s the finished room:

Danielle and Miera's Design Star Living Room
And the built-in:
Design Star Living Room by Miera Melba and Danielle Colding
The best thing about the room, by far, was also chosen by Miera: an organic, contemporary chandelier over the dining table:
Miera and Danielle's Design Star Dining Room

I felt bad for Danielle, who pretty much lost her design voice this week. I hope she won’t make that mistake again!

Kris and Rachel in Their Finished Outdoor Space
Kris and Rachel: Kris has that “game show host” quality about him, doesn’t he? I half-expected him to build a revolving stage stocked with a few appliances and a brand new car on the homeowners’ patio. Instead, he built some really cool tree stump tables embedded with succulents. Call me crazy, but I’m actually starting to take a shine to this dude.

Succulent Table Designed by Kris
Another great moment: the custom awning designed by Rachel.

Rachel's Awning on Design Star
A not-so-great moment: Rachel’s kids’ corner.

Rachel's Kids Corner on Design Star
From the moment Rachel learned the homeowners/clients had a four-year-old daughter, you could tell her mind was on her own daughter and not the room’s design. The judges went on about how it shouldn’t be next to the trash and that it was “sort of bizarre,” but they mostly seemed genuinely worried that Rachel may have lost it a bit.
Stanley and Britany in Their Outdoor Room
Stanley and Britany: Britany brought the bold patterns again this week with a killer herringbone-patterned wood privacy screen.
Chevron Privacy Screen
I was worried that Stanley’s crazy construction schedule would backfire in the end, but he got it all done and the judges loved his reclaimed wood decking. And presumably, his tan.

Reclaimed Wood Decking on Design Star

Hilari and Mikel's Living Rom From Design Star
Hilari and Mikel: It looked like Hilari and Mikel were having fun this week, and I wanted to join in. (Hilari, can we go sofa shopping, pleeease?) They worked together seamlessly and you could tell by looking at their finished room – just like the homeowner requested, it was a vintage-inspired, collected space that you wanted to hanging out in. The judges praised Hilari’s sofa pick:

Hilari and Mikel's Living Room
Vern also gushed about Mikel’s reclaimed wood mirror:

Living Room by Hilari and Mikel on Design Star
A great camera challenge + a great space made Hilari this week’s champ.

Check back tomorrow morning to see David + Meg’s reactions to this week’s episode.

Now it’s your turn: What did you think of this week’s episode? What was your favorite element of the designers’ spaces? Did the right person go home?

Posted at 10:01 pm

141 Comments

1. I agree about Kris. Still not in love with his personality, but definitely has design talent.

It was past Meira's time to go. Just not good.

joshvanklomp on June 19, 2012 at 6:09 pm
  2. Absolutely sent the right person home. Kris' next…his personality is grating!
    Happy for Hilary and glad Danielle was safe!

IceCreamGal on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 pm
  3. Is it possible to send home Rachael. I am so very sick and tired of her and her whining about her four year old. If she is experiencing this much 'heartache', then she will certainly have a difficult time to managing the demands of hosting her own show.

Please send her home to her daughter, shes sickening.

Renee,
    Mother of three 17, 15 and 5

Renee Jones on June 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm
    • Rachel had the best rooms in ALL THREE first challenges! She's no whiner. She's fun, upbeat, positive and completely charming – I'd LOVE to watch her show! Did you notice the amazing wood awning she built this round? You're crazy for thinking that missing her daughter is whining. You're heartless, Renee

Sheryl on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    • Gotta say after seeing the show I think Rachel is a really talented person. Not going to agree, sorry.

Design Diva on June 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm
  4. i agree with u 100% joshvanklomp!

guest on June 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm
  5. Kutos to Dannielle. Hilari, your sectional was a great selection. Rachel live in the moment, do your job. Mikel, yes sir, I want one of those mirrors too. To all the other contestants, thanks for a great show. Catch you next week.

PatN on June 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm
  6. Miera needed to go. And I'm sorry, but who dresses Genevieve ?????

Yayatulip on June 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    • Those tights…..really? Wow!

penny on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 pm
    • The tights could be used to light up the room. Also, what's up with the black bra showing under the far-too-plunging neck line of the red dress??? Genevieve is gorgeous, but she looked trashy. Sabrina has the best attitude–love her! (Lisa LaPorta (sp??) too. Both of these women are so positive.)

Ts'hai on June 20, 2012 at 8:54 pm
  7. Miera steamrolls over all her partners and doesn't look at the big picture on a project. Am glad she was eliminated. Danielle is very likeable and talented but she needs to look out for herself more or she will go too.

Tony on June 19, 2012 at 6:58 pm
  8. How did Hilari win? She went shopping? That's what inferior decorators do! What did she design? Nothing!

Her camera challenge was giving a worthless tip, that is as old as the hills.

Do they have a name for her show yet? How about "Hilarious Styles."

erikcreature on June 19, 2012 at 7:01 pm
    • She didn't just shop, but knowing what to buy and finding it in a short period of time is a large part of Design Star. She did the space planning, that was huge. That room was one of my all time favorite Design Star rooms.

I agree the tip wan't that unique but she presented it well.

Corvette Lady on June 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm
      • I hate what she bought. The furniture was frumpy. The room was cluttered, and it appeared that absolutely no space planning was done at all. Are we talking about the same room? They painted the brick! That's always an indication that someone is a pure slob.

erikcreature on June 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm
        • She fulfilled the wishes and tastes of her clients, and used good design principles of balance, texture, and proportion throughout the space, and that's what really matters. And painting brick is one thing you can do if you don't like the color or look of it. Very common to do on a tight budget, actually. Rachel also painted the brick fireplace in her space.

Chelsea H. on June 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm
          • Slob is slob, regardless of who does it. Taking expensive materials,fine and finished surfaces, such as stone, brick, wood, tile, and slopping paint all over it, reduces their value to cost of the cheap bucket of paint, that you used to deface them with. Very common, yes, plebeian, as in slob. The show is about Design, not what slobs do, or at least the show should be about Real Designers, if they want to call it "Design Star."

erikcreature on June 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm
          • You're entitled to your opinion. I think leaving the brick as it was would have competed with the softer, worn wood tones and definitely taken away from the gorgeous blue-green they put on the walls. What would you have done differently to deliver "Flea Market Chic" to the homeowners?

Chelsea H. on June 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm
          • Taste can be improved. Even for the homeowners.

erikcreature on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm
          • The fireplace was not painted, look at the recap. That is based on the overhead lighting installed for the show. So your entire argument is baseless.

David on June 19, 2012 at 8:55 pm
          • Look at what recap? The picture on this blog clearly shows a painted fireplace. It has nothing to do with the lighting. You must have some kind of visual problem, which would also explain why you like Meg and her "work."

My argument against painting brick, etc. is valid from a real design point of view. It is a slob thing to do.

erikcreature on June 19, 2012 at 9:27 pm
          • The fireplace was painted by the homeowners, not designers.

chynile on June 20, 2012 at 6:41 am
          • Are you calling the homeowners slobs? Because as chynile pointed out, the fireplace was already painted white before the designers even got there.

guest on June 20, 2012 at 7:38 am

erikcreature on June 20, 2012 at 8:51 am
    • It's called a carpenter. Just like fashion designers have seamstresses and tailors. Builders build, designers conceptualize. Some builders move from carpenter to design–Stanley, for example. Get a clue. Great job, Hilari! Can't wait to see more of your designs next week!

Andrew on June 20, 2012 at 7:38 am
      • What did Hilari design that needed a carpenter to build it? She bought furniture that someone else designed. The sectional looked like Early IKEA. Buying a bunch of crap and spreading it around a room isn't designing, it's cluttering.

erikcreature on June 20, 2012 at 8:54 am
    • What time is your show on HGTV? Or, which season did you try out for? I think you're a frustrated designer.

Trekwannabe on June 20, 2012 at 8:56 am
  9. Mikel and Hilary's room was impeccable! It's really wonderful to see people compromising and ending up with something beautiful because they trust each other enough to act on their moments of inspiration – just like Stanley did with Rachel last week.

Chelsea H. on June 19, 2012 at 7:10 pm
    • I totally agree. I loved Mikel & Hilari's room, it is one of my all time favorites. I think it's one of the few Design Star rooms that was finished on time. I think they got everything done that they had planned.

I thought that Kris and Rachel got along really well. It was Stanley and Brittany that worked together, I liked everything but the design of the cabana.

Corvette Lady on June 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm
    • Last week I commented that I would watch a show co-hosted by Rachel and Stanley. This week I decided I'd watch a show co-hosted by Britany and Stanley. There definitely was some easy chemistry going on in both pairings. Judges and producers, whaddaya think about the co-host idea? You'd be alienating fewer viewers ….. Oh I forgot; it's not live ….

Also, for someone who's done solid work in every episode so far, Britany has almost been overlooked. Are there already too many gorgeous blondes on the network??

P@P@ on June 20, 2012 at 8:53 am
  10. I, like many of you above am so grateful that Meira is finally gone – her whining and talking over everyone was grating on my nerves, how in heavens name is anyone to be expected to work with someone like her. You have to be the kind of person who is willing to work with others AND listen to what they have to say. Don't condone others for having an opinion . . . listen and then take it or leave it, but don't expect to drag someone else down or throw them under the bus when it doesn't work out the way you wanted it to! So glad the judges saw that along with the total mishap that she called an entertainment center and sent her packing! Hopefully we are on our way to a fun filled, talented week coming up!

Judi V on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm