Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jun 22

Sneak Peek: Episode 5

This week, the final 7 work to transform a giant space for a party celebrating Hollywood’s 125th birthday. Each designer must create a fantasy party lounge saluting a different era or style. Hint: Velvet and spandex are happening!

Final 7 Designers

Watch exclusive scenes from the next episode of Design Star:

Predictions: Who do you think will be the next to go?

Posted at 12:40 pm

23 Comments

1. What does superficial decorating for a party have to do with interior design?

erikcreature on June 22, 2012 at 10:36 am
  2. Where are the real challenges like the glass rooms of a few years ago? THAT was enough to really make your audience as scared as the designers! I'm a little tired of the party decor theme – usually those are done by event coordinators, not serious designers who do homes, offices and hotels. I love this show, and especially your judges and guest judges, but I want to see things like the handicapped children who got a room designed to help them deal with life, or the firemen's lounges, etc., that some designers have done on their shows.
    I think that Rachel is going home – her heart is there, and she isn't concentrating like the others. Love her for her motherliness, but if you enter a project like this, you have to steel yourself. God bless her! Maybe I'm wrong!

Celtic Diva on June 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm
  3. So glad they kick out Miera. hat an anoying personality that clashedd with every designer in the show.
    You got it right judges.

Lio on June 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm
  4. This episode looks like each designer gets another chance to show her/his individual style and design. It doesn't sound like they have been given very much time to get their spaces completed. Good luck to all the DS contestants for this challenge. Should be interesting…

cheryl johnson on June 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm
  5. When does it come on?

Lisa Davis on June 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm
    • Hi Lisa,
      Episode 5 is this Tuesday, June 26, at 9/8c.

Liz_HGTV on June 25, 2012 at 8:50 am
  6. My ten year old daughter and I love Genevieve. She is beautiful in pretty much every obvious way; so why does she dress like a hooker? Knowing you'll be on national tele sitting on a high stool should keep you from wearing that very short dress–which was red with her black lace bra and cleavage hanging out. Respect yourself Genevieve and your audience. I'm sure the show doesn't need ratings that badly.

Dawn Mileski on June 25, 2012 at 4:00 am
    • Genevieve IS beautiful until you watch her facial expressions, which are downright predatory when she is sitting on the judging panel. She glares at the contestants as if she has contempt for them or they are her prey.. When she is "smiling", she really isn't smiling at all – her lips are just stretched tight and her eyelids lowered. She speaks to them in a clipped, condescending manner as if what she is actually telling them is a thinly controlled edit from what she is actually thinking.

I cannot think of one other person on HGTV that comes across like she does on this show – like a viper ready to strike. But she is beautiful in pretty much every obvious way. So are some snakes.

Ruffian on June 27, 2012 at 12:46 am
  7. I predict Rachel will go home. I think she's "lost the will to live" so to speak. She seems to have really fallen apart after she started missing her little girl.

Chelsea H. on June 26, 2012 at 8:25 am
    • Rachel should have gone home. I agree !

NIc on June 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm
  8. Interior design and event planning are silimar if you think through the process. Both requires creativity, planning and skill. It's not your normal birthday party, it's planning a party for Hollywood. Think about what it would take to plan the Emmy award "after party". It is not as easy as one would think. I believe this project is about creativity, time management and execution. The designers (even though we would love to see more of it) are professional designers. Take a look at their bios & portfolios. Looking forward to another exciting episode!!

KR Johnson on June 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm
  9. Love the show this year. I think that each of the designers left this season are extremely talented and work well together. Good luck everyone!!!!

BStew on June 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm
  10. So 125th Anniversary to Hollywood. A movie selection would have been a good way to start the design, narrowing from an era. Just a thought. Color, color, color. Talk about your designs, and talk some more about your design. As you conceive your design, also think what can I say about it to people.

PatN on June 26, 2012 at 5:51 pm