Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 27

David on Episode 5: “Make a Room. No Walls. Good Luck.”

David Bromstad With Judges

David on Design Star episode five: Who rocked, whose design bored him, and who failed miserably. Plus: who he thought should have won.

Here’s David’s from-the-set take:

Do you agree with David? Who do you think should have won last night? Shout it out in the comments below.

Posted at 7:18 am

120 Comments

1. I was very disappointed that Brittany or Hillari did not win! Brittany's room was the best that I have seen ever on HGTV. However, Hillari did a dream job of a difficult era. I believe the judges like Danielle personally and are a little in her corner. Chris was the right person to go home. He made me nervous, all the different effects he stirred together. Predict Hillari or Brittany will win this.

Thea Pimental on June 27, 2012 at 4:33 am
    • Brittany's room was beautiful, but her presentation was not. If both rooms were beautiful, which I thought, the judges of course went with the better presentation and more likable personality for the week.

I thought Hilari or Danielle should win, so I am glad for Danielle. I think she was a lot of depth.

katyJ on June 27, 2012 at 7:08 am
      • Did no one see that Danielle had a DRESSER in her room? What is a dresser doing in a LOUNGE space!?

jess on June 27, 2012 at 10:24 am
  2. I agree that the top 3 rooms belonged to Brittany, Danielle and Hilari. I probably would have picked Brittany as the overall winner. Yeah, that Kris went home. His camera challenge showed that he always tries to suck up to whomever he thinks can make him win. I think the final 6 are the right ones.

Linda on June 27, 2012 at 4:44 am
  3. Glad I didn't have to judge last night's challenge. Brittany and Danielle were fabulous. Hilari did a great job with an "era" you never think had any specific design feature. Wonder why David didn't mention Brittany in his wrap up vlog? Maybe her pettishness was off-putting — snide remarks and crying about not winning rather than congratulating the winner.

I disagree with the judges' choice on who went home: I think Mikel should have gone home or Rachel. Both were awful. Mikel actually tried to come up with a design and failed — Rachel just didn't try as she didn't like the Victorian style / era (what's not to like about Gone with the Wind — one of Hollywood's biggest blockbuster??).

Robin on June 27, 2012 at 5:01 am
    • Perhaps Rachel got to stay based on past performances. I'm wondering if Rachel is missing her family and can not focus on the designing right now. In regards to Gone with the Wind, that was Civil War era ( circa 1860's). Where as, Victorian era is turn of the century, early 1900's

Susan on June 27, 2012 at 5:19 am
      • Technically the Victorian era started 25 yrs BEFORE the Civil War when Queen Victoria's reign began (June, 1837) and ended with her death in January, 1901. This was a period of 64 years which encompassed our Civil War and several styles of women's fashion (wide full skirts to huge hoop skirts to narrower soft bustles to slimmer dresses w/ trains to hard bustles to bell-shaped) and interior design (not all of it dark & gloomy – alternating periods of rich jewel tones; bright aniline-dyed colors; deep, dark colors), so people have different impressions of "Victorian". Many people think Victorian means the dark drapes & woodwork of the Belle Epoch period (1890-1914) as in the movie, "Age of Innocence", but it can be light & white, too (white-painted woodwork & bright "painted ladies"). Both ideas are correct. In fact, Victorian Era interior design can correctly be described w/ conflicting adjectives: elegant & refined, exuberant & extravagant, cluttered/ordered, dark/bright, stuffy/airy, classical/eclectic. It was an era than encompassed many changes in world views & design reflected those changing views.

Maureen on June 27, 2012 at 9:07 am
      • Yes, the Victorian Era spanned over 60 years… there's also three distinct periods of style to choose from within that time frame, Early, "High" Victorian, and Late. She really just seemed didn't like the fussiness inherent in all Victorian design– it's the opposite of her own streamlined style– and ended up making it cartoony. The Smurfs comment was right on.

laura on June 27, 2012 at 11:57 am
    • I agree with the "gone with the wind" comment. Perfect way to describe what should have been one if the easiest styles. No one said anything about modernizing the Victorian era. This should have been a slam dunk and in my opinion she FAILED. Her space was TACKY and I agree with them when the said it looked Cheap and nothing about the Victorian style is Cheap. Having a Grandmother that lives in a Gorgeous Victorian Home I could just hear her comments as I watched this design get worse every time she added something else. Blue was a dominant color but not that "Smurf" blue. To me it showed what a shallow person she is – Victorian may not be your style but most people can at least appreciate this beautiful Style/ era, and recreate one room. That huge prop shop I am sure had plenty of "Gone with the Wind" style pieces. A complete failure in my opinion.

Randi on June 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm
  4. Dear, dear David: The Victorian era was during the latter half of the 19th century, not the 18th.

NestingsStaging on June 27, 2012 at 5:25 am
  5. Rachel should have gone home. She completely missed the mark with Victorian. People in the 1880s-90s loved deep color, crimsons, mauves, purple, and dark wood furniture and wainscoting It's like she never heard of Victorian crazy quilts with their irregular shaped, brightly colored swatches of velvets and other fabrics, and embroidered embellishments.. What about potted palms, Boston ferns? Cluttered photo portraits on the mantel? She had her mind made up that Victorian was boring, but it was her design that was boring and lackluster. She probably does not know much about history.
    Brittany's oral presentation was abysmal.Her room was beautiful. Hilari's challenge was the most difficult – the Laura Ashley floral English style was very popular in the mid-eighties; also the combination of deep hunter green with a mauvish pink. then there were the turquoise and yellow bright colors at a different stage in the 80s with geometric Mondrian patterns. It was a schizo decade.
    Danielle's room was perfect. This young woman knows history down to the details. Excellent.

Ruth on June 27, 2012 at 5:36 am
    • I totally agree with you.

I think Rachel was just trying to put a modern spin on it and failed miserably because she really hates the Victorian look. So, what she really did was insult anyone in the audience who LIKES the Victorian look. I don't have that look, but I can understand it's appeal to some. Rachel was one of my favorites until these last two challenges.

Brittany completely bombed her oral presentation! So, if her room and Danielle's rooms were fairly equal in success, which is what I thought, (loved them both), then it came down to presentation. Brittany owes Danielle an apology for being a sore loser and raining on Danielle's parade. How could she think she could be the winner after that speech?!

katyJ on June 27, 2012 at 6:46 am
    • Technically, the Victorian era was from 1837 until 1901. While cheap-looking, Rachel's interpretation used correct elements from the Victorian era – including the colors she chose (yes, that bright peacock blue was a favored color in one period of the Victorian era).

Maureen on June 27, 2012 at 9:12 am
      • I preferred Brittany's room design, but her presentation fell flat and her "sore loser" behavior was so unprofessional & immature (though not unheard of in the design world). Danielle made good design decisions AND made a good presentation (as well as showing grace under fire). The producers & directors can edit what they show to influence our opinions about the personalities of the contestants.
        I just want to see good GOOD DESIGN. I don't care about the "drama", personalities, etc. I wish the show would concentrate on showing the design process and less on the drama — which is why I DVR this show. I fast-forward through all of the drama baloney and look at the less than 15 minutes of design out of the hour show.
        Too much designer tantrum-dramas (though they may be a serious red flag to producers, indicating possible difficult-to-work-with personality headaches). I find the drama annoying to the point of boring.

Maureen on June 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm
  6. Personally, I think Britany should have won. I've been on her side since I started watching the show. Hilari was really good too. Loved that design. I think Danielle was kind of snobbish, because she said to the camera after she saw Britany crying, "For the first time ever, I think competetors first, friends second." Britany really should have won. She was having such a hard time finding furniture for her room, and she pulled it off in practically a day. Amazing.

Diamond on June 27, 2012 at 6:33 am
    • I agree. Britany completely turned around from day one in the challenge and pulled together the best room in the season so far. Hilari did very well too, because she had the most difficult era, in my opinion. Danielle's room was okay, and Diamond, you are right, Danielle was being super snobbish.

Semdog on June 27, 2012 at 6:42 am
      • If you watched the last episode, you know Danielle almost got sent home because she WAS considering her "friend's" needs before her own. Danielle is not as snob, she simply is learning that she needs to concentrate on her own success, like everyone else is. Brittany was acting like a big baby instead of congratulating her on the win– which for Danielle was a big deal after nearly going home twice. Yes, I know Brittany has had many near wins and was frustrated because she didn't this time. She needs to work on her camera challenges.

laura on June 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    • It may be HGTV, but it's still a reality show, so knowing them they probably edited it to make it look like Danielle said that right after Brittany was crying. They ask questions to the designers and then cut & paste their confessionals at the "right" moments….which ever makes for better drama.

@xGatos on June 28, 2012 at 4:49 am
  7. I'm back. First, I'd like to say that I'm VERY young and I only saw the hollywood and indoor/outdoor episodes so far, so I have not seen them all. I liked Rachel's blue (were they lamps?) they were pretty, but I did think they didn't fit in with the design or color at all. Kris, I'm kind of glad he went home. Who ever said that he tries to suck up to whoever he thinks can get him to win, I agree. Never really liked him, really snobby. Mikel's was boring, but I don't agree with the person who said he should have went home. I like that dude's designs. And I do NOT appreciate David leaving out Britany in his vlog. He should have at least said SOMETHING! ~Diamond <3

Diamond on June 27, 2012 at 6:43 am
  8. I think no one should be sent home on one bad week. I think it would be more fair to keep a tally each week scoring the plus and minus of each contestant (color, design, camera, etc). Every three weeks the lowest ones go home. This gives us time to see which ones are consistent and those that have trouble with Design Star. I think Danielle rocked it each week. When paired with Hiliari they both had great ideas but had time issues and when paired with Miera everyone paired with this lady had trouble. She was a nightmare to work with. Poor Kris he carried Miera and Rachel and yet he was let go.
    I really have not seen one good designer come out of design star besides David. They really missed it with Antonio and Meg. If camera challenge is sooooooo big how did she win? I have tried to like her show but she has so much clutter in her spaces and really not good on camera.
    Maybe some of you are correct new judges are needed.

maria on June 27, 2012 at 6:46 am
    • I think Design Star's main dilemma is that they are finding "winners," not "stars." New judges might give the show a breathe of fresh air, but it doesn't guarantee they will find the next star. To find someone on David's level, the show may need to go on hiatus for a couple years. It will give people a chance to reset their expectations of the competitors, and the producers can have more time to create more realistic or better challenges.

Siluna on June 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm
  9. I am hoping for Danielle she comes across as talented and an nice person.
    We all have different opinions and taste we can always change stations.This is what it is and entertainment show. If true design was really important then Dan would have been the winner instead of Antonio.

maria on June 27, 2012 at 6:46 am
    • I liked Danielle from the beginning. Antonio was chosen for a shock factor and to pull in the husband audience. HGTV chose Jen (Paint over) for the teacher side of her and Kim for the hairdresser side of her and Meg for the not-so foo-foo type she is. Point being, HGTV has looked for a different personality edge to draw in a larger audience. I have watched all of them and have enjoyed their shows-but only to a limited level. HGTV folks- if you are monitoring these- here- here! The best ideas are from a group effort- You have been HGTVed- super because you look forward to a different designer each time- Design on a Dime- super because there is a real team and plus that team changes. I say do NOT a one-designer show but have the finalists all take turns in a show concept or have them do over a home and each takes a room. Relying on a single personality when a DS season is said and done and half of your audience has already formed strong opinions about that personality is self-defeating.

WillTryDSAgain on June 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm
  10. Brittany acted like a little kid when she didn't win! That is not Design Star wirthy! (But her room was awsome!) I think Stanely's room was totally cool for a futuristic room! Seriously, I know a Star Wars geek and he would have loved it. And Rachelle got all worked up because she got the Victorian era, what was up with that?

Libby on June 27, 2012 at 6:57 am
    • On Britany's design blog she talks about this and she clearly states that what you saw on television was not at ALL directed towards Danielle. She describes in her blog that she was upset with herself and her emotions were on a roller coaster – and rightfully so. She also describes a one minute presentation, not the 10 seconds we all saw. But such is the case with the editing of reality tv. Britany's talent is undeniable and I really hope she takes it all.

Tyler on June 27, 2012 at 10:41 am