Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jun 27

Meg on Ep 5: If You Can’t Be You, You Can’t Be a Design Star

Meg Caswell on Design Star

Meg talks which rooms she would have in her home, which style was the most difficult and why last night’s eliminated designer went home.

Here’s Meg’s play-by-play from the episode:

Now it’s your turn: Which designer are you drawn to personality-wise? Add your take in the comments below.

Posted at 6:30 am

27 Comments

1. I agree with Meg! I'm glad Kris went home, he just didn't have a personality.

Libby on June 27, 2012 at 6:46 am
  2. I also agree with Meg. Brittany's room was nice but her camera challenge was blah, blah, blah. Danielle your room and camera challenge was great. Where did you get that Panther?

Alice on June 27, 2012 at 7:24 am
  3. Danielle deserve to win, her room was nicer to put together that style was harder, the room shows the elements of that time. I hope the judge don't do the same mistake they did in the last design star when Meg's won. I don't even watch her program i think she didn't deserve to win they had better choices. Meg looks that she has a great personality but at the same time she looks fake for me…
    Danielle has that kind personallity,those eyes reflect a warm person,open minded and unselfish. At the opening show she did a great design and she wasn't recognized. The comment of Britany was very harsh about Danielle winning.
    The finalist on this season Danielle, Hillary, and Stanley.

lori0215 on June 27, 2012 at 9:10 am
  4. Meg your commentary is always wonderful. You are gracious, fair, and never catty on your vlog (I am looking at you David). I hope you continue to do these vlogs. In fact, in the future, maybe the Design Star gods can give you a bigger role in the program.

lemurific on June 27, 2012 at 9:49 am
  5. Thanks for your insight Meg. I agree with the post above about catty comments from others; it's getting very hard to watch. Honestly, Kris being sent home completely threw me for a loop. I thought that his room was really good and captured the '70's vibe. However, the fact that some camera challenges are shown and some are not makes it hard to know where people stand. Designers have completely flubbed their CC and designs in weeks past (or even multiple weeks Danielle & Rachel come to mind) yet stay. This week they say that they want to see more of Kris's personality which is a fair criticism IMO, but not as bad as not even being able to speak or completely failing to finish your room on time. How does that work Meg? It just seems like there is no consistency in the selection process. What gives?

Lindsay on June 27, 2012 at 11:04 am
    • Well, i LOOOVE Meg's show 1st of all! I'm glad Kris went home not just coz he was OBNOXIOUS & FAKE but coz i didn't like anything he's done since the very 1st episode! Danielle,Brittany & Hillari ROCK! This is going to be difficult! Stanely can build things but that table he did was truly AWFUL!

Guest on June 28, 2012 at 1:03 pm
  6. i really loved this weeks show. and i think that chris did deserve to go home. he came across as someone with no personalitity and his room looked like a before picture of a hgtv makeover. i dont agree with the judges on who should have won however. design wise i think that brittany's room was amazing and beautifully executed. although danielles room was beautiful as well (and i love danielle and her designs) i think that brittany took it to another level. as for brittany's comment, i think it doesnt display who she truly is and people are critiquing her a little too harshly. do i think she should have said it? no. but i dont think her intentions werent to throw it in danielles face. has anyone noticed that brittany has been at the top this entire competition- never at the bottom – and yet the judges have never picked her to win? her designs have always been one of the best and to never win would seem like a blow. everyone who has won has been in the bottom. and brittany who has stayed at the top has never won. she felt this was her best design and it still wasnt good enough. who wouldnt take it as an offense?

Jenny on June 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    • I totally agree that Brittany has the best designs. Look at her design portfolio pics on this site. She is a strong designer with a definate bold style. She finally won a challenge this week July 10th. As I was watching the show I thought – if the judges don't see that Brittney had the best design – they are blind.

I think the producers have been behind Hillary all the way, but her design style is much weaker than Brittney. The animal prints she keeps using over and over remind me of the 80's. Stop that thought Hillary. The indian print was ok, but I didn't love it. If Hillary had used another fabric it could have been beautiful.

Kimberly on July 11, 2012 at 6:51 am
  7. anyways a girl is going to win this year. i dont think its going to be rachel. although she started out ontop, she has lost her focus. danielle, britany, and hilari are the main contenders. as for the guys, you can see that stanley is a great designer but never really brings all that he is capable of. if he does bring it? he will become a major contender. mikel!!!! i want you to do good! your personality makes you such a likeable person. but sadly you have lived up to your nickname of "middle mikel". hope to see you shine soon!

Jenny on June 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm
  8. Why are Genevieve's expressions always so disapproving and disparaging to the contestants on the show?

Texas on June 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    • i know- right?! she comes across as superior to everyone & usually has sum sort of smirk on her face! this is my 1st season watching this show but i'm so addicted!

Guest on June 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm
  9. I fear Brittany may have done herself in with her sniveling comment. I understand her frustration in feeling continually overlooked, but that was not a good way to handle it. Her camera challenge was simply not as good regardless of the quality of her room. However, I was surprised that David didn't even mention her in his video recap this week. Probably an unintentional omission. Hillari was delightful, but I don't see her carrying a show of her own, although paired with Mikel she would be great. Part of the problem is her speech — I like her and would like to see her work on a more commercial speaking voice b/c she has so much design talent. Brittany is gorgeous, but I don't remember anyone winning who was ever snarky or whiny, whether male or female, so we'll see.

Moonbeam on June 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm
  10. As for last season, I am so glad Meg won. She didn't shine so much in the competition until near the end, but now I can see why she won. Hers is the design show I most look forward to on Saturday evenings. People who won't watch her show because they didn't like her work on Design Star are really missing out on some great designing.

Moonbeam on June 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm
    • AWWWHHH Thanks!!!!!! I appreciate that! It's really hard to see peoples real talent on a show that is not reality!

Meg on June 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm
      • Meg, I love your realness. I picked you from the beginning to win Design Star. Even when you didn't do real there was a realness about you and your designs. Your show is awesome and I love how you connect with the people.

Jennifer on June 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm
        • Meg Rocks! Love everyone of her designs so far on her show .. My favorite has to be the 'Glassy Brick Backsplash' she did in a kitchen on one recent episode where the lady who sold the product melted glass together to get the look .. was definitely one of the most original products I seen on any of these shows.

JoeyZ925 on July 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm