Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jun 29

Sneak Peek: Episode 6

Design Star Episode 6

On the next episode of Design Star (airing Tuesday, July 3 at 9/8c) the final six work together to build dreamy kitchens. See which teams shine and which teams struggle in our web-exclusive clip.

Predictions: Who will be the next to go home?

Posted at 3:16 pm

47 Comments

1. I think Hilary and Stanley seem hilarious together. I would what a show with both of them!

Lemurific on July 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm
    • That would be a great show.

Danni on July 4, 2012 at 8:06 pm
  2. I cant believe Rachel did not go home last week, she has had two bad weeks. Kris was a much better designer. This show isnt about a black designer for the idiot that made the comment. Its evident that she along with the rest of them are excellent designers. People always want to place color on issues when they see a person of color succeeding. Dan 32, welcome to the new America, deal with it.

Pierre on July 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm
  3. Someone wrote in that when the projects aren't finished….like the two rooms for the families…that they are left that way…..is that true???? That's not good!! Oh Dear….to never finish???? THAT does not seem right!!! Does anyone remember way back in the beginning of HGTV Changing Spaces…..HILDI the designer that had her team put hundreds of plastic flowers covering the bathroom walls???? Perhaps in THAT case not finishiing would have been a good thing! Message to the Producer: caught an hour just last Sat. a.m. of Doug Wilson's "Moving Up"….LOVE that show…..how about bringing back former first designers in Changing Spaces along with Vern, and before Genevieve even ,as guest judges……..red headed southern chick Lori, Texan Frank, out-spoken Doug Wilson……what about even Joan Steffan?….oldies but goodies……..DESIGNERS! Not tv personalities! Thank You!

Dee on July 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm
    • oh….forgot Nate…. NATE Berkus was one of the originals.! That would be so fun ….like a family reunion of Designers from good 'ole HGTV days……for this next generation of designers judges!
      And what about the host in the beginning………..Paige! Bring her on as well! Interesting spice the new up with the old.

Dee on July 2, 2012 at 8:32 pm
      • just so you know, all of those shows were on TLC not HGTV and they were popular before any of the HGTV line

todd on July 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm
    • No, that is not true. HGTV goes in and corrects/fixes all issues from Design Star. :)

KR Johnson on July 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm
  4. Stanley is cool and seems to carry whomever he is assigned to partner with. His knowledge of structure and materials is essential to the success of any real remodel, and he has the knowledge of the elments of design–color, size, shapes–so I've voting him to win. Others bring the design elements, but when the walls need to come out or the floors need to come up, a guy like Stanley will know that up front and has brought that to the budget for signoff up front so a homeowner doesn't get trapped halfway through a project with insufficient budget. While he's not perfect, he can be the difference between a good project and a total failure.

Ann on July 3, 2012 at 6:19 am
    • basicaly he would make for a very good UNIQUE show but that pretty much means he will NOT win because HGTV doesn't realy want originality and have sent the more talented home early in previous seasons, why would this one be any different?

todd on July 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm
  5. Re Stanley's ability to do both sides of a project–construction AND design, I REALLY hate it on Love It or List It when 4 projects are promised and suddenly something 'comes up'–a beam needs to be installed, a floor reinforced or wiring redone. These surprises should have been discovered prior to demolition and the failure to do so is the difference between Stanley (who would never let this happen) and the others who, like Valerie, blunder ahead and slash promised projects from the goal. First, I think her failure to do the due dilligence of investigating for supporting walls, eccentric electrical and flimsy floors is the sign of a superficial designer–someone who can make things pretty, not someone to make things work well. Stanley's focus on function will make his kitchen excel, I believe.

Let's call Mike Holmes and ask about investigating the core of a house, and whether projects should be done right or done cheaply. Too many of the projects on this show violate Mike's rules–yes, that includes the unfinished kitchens from last year.

Wish they would bring Mike in to guide the clueless elements on this show how to combine function with great design–just think what might be accomplished!

Ann on July 3, 2012 at 6:26 am
  6. I believe they go in and finish what the designers could not get done in that amount of time. Seems like I heard this several seasons ago. What home owner would donate their home only to have it worse than when they started? I believe trading spaces was on TLC. The judges on this show did not always do a very good job with the homes. It was a very entertaining show. I enjoyed Doug Wilson's Moving Up but can not find it anymore.

maria on July 3, 2012 at 6:28 am
    • No they don't. Last season one of the homeowners posted on the bulletin board and said they did not come back and finish and they did not leave items that did not get installed. The producer said the same thing on the blog. Last season in the Bed and Breakfast episode they went back and redid the whitewashed floors because they were not done right. In season 5, I think, there was a safety issue in a kitchen that they fixed. I think that is why they no longer do homeowners kitchens. I also think the homeowers know the rules when they sign up.

Corvette Lady on July 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm
  7. i hope britany is the next design star she rocks

hey on July 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm
  8. Looking forward to another exciting night!! Let's go… Danielle, Brittany and Hilari!! I think Mikel and Rachel will go home tonight.

KR Johnson on July 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm
  9. What is so obvious to me is what great designers both Danielle and Hilari are. If I could ever afford to hire a designer, it would be them. Their Hollywood lounges were very good, and I believe they both should have won. Their eye for color and space is far superior to any of the other designers on the show. And, Design Star is still good after all these years, but that's just my opinion!

Carol on July 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm
  10. I am so disappointed with the judges this week. They picked the most boring kitchen design to photograph
    I have seen that kitchen 1000 times, it made me gag it was so traditional and washed out. Boring Boring Boring!!!

Then you send a designer like Stanley home who is not only the fan favorite but has produced the most
    unique one of a kind designs since the show started.

He has more talent than Vern, David and Genevieve combined. You don't deserve a designer that talented
    because you have no appreciation of his creations. They are a work of art!!

These judges seriously need to go with their boring critiques and design styles and that goes for these two
    kitchen brothers or whoever they are

I would hire Stanley before I ever would even think about hiring any of you!!

Big mistake letting him go, your loss. Problem is it is also a loss for your fans who enjoy HGTV!
    Stupid people