Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 3

Episode 6 Recap: Dream (and Nightmare) Kitchens

Designers With HGTV Magazine Editor-in-Chief Sara Peterson

The designers took on the dreaded kitchen challenge this week, but the stakes were a little higher: The winning kitchen won a feature in HGTV Magazine, and the bottom two designers went home. Read on to see which kitchens turned out dreamy and which, well, didn’t. Plus, tell me what you thought of this week’s episode!

Britany and Danielle

Danielle had a big advantage from last week’s win: She got to choose her partner and pair up the remaining 4 designers. She also got first pick of the sink options that would inspire each kitchen. She chose Britany (they’re back to being BFFs now) and the contemporary sink. They chose a cheery-if-safe pale turquoise and yellow palette and a “collected” vibe for their space.

Contemporary Kitchen Shelving Detail

The judges loved the eclectic, lived-in look of the room, from the well-chosen accessories…

Contemporary Kitchen Buffet

…to the right furniture pieces, like this weathered buffet. “You captured how people live today,” Vern said.

Photo Backsplash

Britany was jazzed about the photo frame backsplash, but Anthony Carrino of Kitchen Cousins thought it wasn’t very practical — photos look better without grease stains.¬† The art she chose also wasn’t very impactful — a blown-up photo backsplash would have made a bigger statement.

Despite a few complaints, the panel unanimously agreed that Danielle and Britany were the co-winners of this challenge. Then, there was everyone else.

Hilari and Stanley in Contemporary Kitchen

Stanley and Hilari’s kitchen inspiration: a black apron-front sink.¬† Mr. “If You Build It, The Panel Will Come” and Ms. Versace Glamour had trouble deciding on a theme at first, and then decided to go bold. Gulp. I was worried for them as soon as they paired bold blue walls with red countertops. In their defense, it definitely didn’t turn out boring. But as Kitchen Cousins¬† star John Colaneri said at evaluation, “Step out of the box doesn’t mean jump off a cliff.”

Kitchen Hand Cabinet Pulls

Case in point: Stanley’s “handy” cabinet pulls. Theoretically, this works, but the cabinets still need to function…rouge thumbs and pinkies actually keep you from opening the cabinet doors. Instead, why not use a couple of these as accent artwork or even a towel hook? The panel definitely gave this element a thumbs down.

Kitchen Pendant Lights
One element I loved in Hilari and Stanley’s kitchen: The blown glass pendant lights over their kitchen island.

Mikel and Rachel's Country Kitchen

Then, there was Team Rachel and Mikel, whose kitchen inspiration was a printed country sink. Unlike last week’s Victorian debacle, Rachel was confident that she could deliver a cool country kitchen; “I’m from the Midwest,” she said.

After floundering for a couple of weeks, Rachel knew she couldn’t play it safe. Enter the idea to wallpaper the back wall of the kitchen. She and Mikel struggled to find the right pattern and, well…they failed. The pink toile is too overwhelming with no wall cabinets…Genevieve called it “a punch in the face.” Also, functionality-wise, why a completely blank wall? I wouldn’t sacrifice that much space in my kitchen, even for an amazing wallpaper. Open wall shelves would have helped a lot here.

Crystal Chandelier
The panel loved Mikel’s pick of an ornate chandelier tied up with rustic twine, although they lamented that it was hard to see against the crazy, pink toile wallpaper.

Farm Table Centerpiece
Genevieve said she would “lay on a railroad track” for this tressel table, but otherwise, the panel wasn’t impressed with this room’s overall look…or its cramped space plan.

Rachel Kate and Stanley Palmieri

In the end, Rachel and Stanley both made fatal errors that, alongside another round of lackluster camera challenges, put them at the bottom of the pack. They were both sent home last night.

Check back tomorrow for David and Meg’s reactions to tonight’s episode.

Now it’s your turn: What did you think of last night’s designs? Did the right designers go home? Tell me in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 pm

137 Comments

1. Ok, the judges complain about Rachel's island being too close to the sink/back counter but do you really think you can open your fridge without moving the chairs in Danielle and Britany's kitchen? Or can you have children with those white upholstered chairs? The photograph backsplash was a huge mistake in my book, but they just sort of gave them a small slap on the wrist for that one. Danielle and Britany's kitchen was scored on "pretty points" while the judges walked around the other 2 kitchens to see how they worked in the real world. Shame on you Vern. All 3 kitchens had problems and I loved something in each of them as well. Although, Stanley's "thing" above the sink/around the window belonged in his last futuristic room challenge, not the kitchen. He was ready to go.

Numa1 on July 4, 2012 at 4:15 am
  2. Hated to see Stanley go. He was one of the most "watchable" contestants yet. I agree with several earlier commentors, get Stanley back in some capacity!
    I really did like the color combinations in Stanley and Hilari's kitchen, but I have to agree that the "hands" were a bit much.
    I did not care much for Danielle's and Brittani's kitchen. It looked to me like a staged room (exactly what it was of course) and I totally disagree wth Vern that "that's how we live today". That kitchen was pretty, but not at all cozy or homey.
    Mikel and Racheal's kitchen………..The Horror! The Horror! I would not be able to function in that room at all. I'd be too worried about the thing coming to life and attacking!

lilly on July 4, 2012 at 4:24 am
  3. My choice to go this week would have been Rachel and Mikel. Mikel seems like a really good guy and someone I's enjoy hanging out with, but he has yet to do anything noteworthy. "Middle Mikel" should have made an impact in some way or another by this point. Since he hasn't, it's highly unlikely that he's going to suddenly burst out of the pack and pull off something spectacular.

Good luck to all the final four!

lilly on July 4, 2012 at 4:24 am
  4. I was finally happy to see Britany get the win she deserved. Obviously the contestants have no input into editing the show and you can tell there are not any issues between Danielle and Britany. They worked very well together and got this week's win. Brtiany has been exciting and consistent through this whole competition and I look forward to watching her on her own HGTV show.

Antonio on July 4, 2012 at 4:52 am
  5. I still think last year's contestants had better talents. Karl found time do back splash (I think he even created mosaic design from crushed glass). Meg used industrial design (metal peg board).

This year, all kitchens did not WoW me! I think last year contestants had more "Wow" designs. Sorry.

PRM on July 4, 2012 at 5:40 am
    • And conversely, I think this group has way more charisma than last years.

Joanna on July 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm
  6. I agree with the two sent home and really don't care to see Stanley ever again. HGTV already has one tatooed man. I think the final should be between Brittany and Danielle and I would give either of their shows a try. I never watch Antonio – I certainly hope they don't make him a visiting judge – and am not sure I can tolerate Meg's voice next week.

I know they were doing the kitchens for the camera but seriously who could work in the bright red, dark blue, hand pulls kitchen. It would drive one away as would the wallpaper wall. So somewhat bland is OK if you are going to spend hours in the room.

Betty on July 4, 2012 at 6:20 am
  7. Here are my Predictions:

Mikel – 4th
    Britney- 3rd
    Hilari – 2nd
    Dannelle – 1st

J.B. on July 4, 2012 at 6:28 am
  8. Really like the weathered buffet. Does anyone have information where this is available?

MichaelaT on July 4, 2012 at 6:38 am
  9. Ann, I agree about the fuctionality issue and I actually really liked the toile! It didn't really go with the sink, though. And I agree that the chandellier didn't work with the toile, way too busy–I would have gone more contempory with the lights to ground the toile, and added a neutral or white backsplash tile strip below the toile to protect behind the sink & stove. The space planning wasn't so good either, but I really liked the contast of the black island and shelf with the toile. I do agree with Gen about the chairs for the trestle table though, it needed to have 4 all different, not two pairs. I liked this kitchen WAYYY more than Stan & Hilari's, which I actually found kind of creepy.

laura on July 4, 2012 at 6:39 am
  10. I agreed with the judges decisions this week. I was sorry to see Rachel go, but after a strong start she really crashed the last two – three weeks. Brittany is my favorite so far. She seems to be able to pull it all together regardless of the challenge. I think she has good instincts and knows what works and more importantly, what doesn't. I would have liked their kitchen better if they would have chosen a more exciting kitchen counter top. But, overall, they did the best job. I am really enjoying the show again this season and love HGTV! I wish I lived in an area where I could be on one of the shows…my house needs so much loving right now!

Kari H. on July 4, 2012 at 6:52 am