Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 3

Episode 6 Recap: Dream (and Nightmare) Kitchens

Designers With HGTV Magazine Editor-in-Chief Sara Peterson

The designers took on the dreaded kitchen challenge this week, but the stakes were a little higher: The winning kitchen won a feature in HGTV Magazine, and the bottom two designers went home. Read on to see which kitchens turned out dreamy and which, well, didn’t. Plus, tell me what you thought of this week’s episode!

Britany and Danielle

Danielle had a big advantage from last week’s win: She got to choose her partner and pair up the remaining 4 designers. She also got first pick of the sink options that would inspire each kitchen. She chose Britany (they’re back to being BFFs now) and the contemporary sink. They chose a cheery-if-safe pale turquoise and yellow palette and a “collected” vibe for their space.

Contemporary Kitchen Shelving Detail

The judges loved the eclectic, lived-in look of the room, from the well-chosen accessories…

Contemporary Kitchen Buffet

…to the right furniture pieces, like this weathered buffet. “You captured how people live today,” Vern said.

Photo Backsplash

Britany was jazzed about the photo frame backsplash, but Anthony Carrino of Kitchen Cousins thought it wasn’t very practical — photos look better without grease stains.¬† The art she chose also wasn’t very impactful — a blown-up photo backsplash would have made a bigger statement.

Despite a few complaints, the panel unanimously agreed that Danielle and Britany were the co-winners of this challenge. Then, there was everyone else.

Hilari and Stanley in Contemporary Kitchen

Stanley and Hilari’s kitchen inspiration: a black apron-front sink.¬† Mr. “If You Build It, The Panel Will Come” and Ms. Versace Glamour had trouble deciding on a theme at first, and then decided to go bold. Gulp. I was worried for them as soon as they paired bold blue walls with red countertops. In their defense, it definitely didn’t turn out boring. But as Kitchen Cousins¬† star John Colaneri said at evaluation, “Step out of the box doesn’t mean jump off a cliff.”

Kitchen Hand Cabinet Pulls

Case in point: Stanley’s “handy” cabinet pulls. Theoretically, this works, but the cabinets still need to function…rouge thumbs and pinkies actually keep you from opening the cabinet doors. Instead, why not use a couple of these as accent artwork or even a towel hook? The panel definitely gave this element a thumbs down.

Kitchen Pendant Lights
One element I loved in Hilari and Stanley’s kitchen: The blown glass pendant lights over their kitchen island.

Mikel and Rachel's Country Kitchen

Then, there was Team Rachel and Mikel, whose kitchen inspiration was a printed country sink. Unlike last week’s Victorian debacle, Rachel was confident that she could deliver a cool country kitchen; “I’m from the Midwest,” she said.

After floundering for a couple of weeks, Rachel knew she couldn’t play it safe. Enter the idea to wallpaper the back wall of the kitchen. She and Mikel struggled to find the right pattern and, well…they failed. The pink toile is too overwhelming with no wall cabinets…Genevieve called it “a punch in the face.” Also, functionality-wise, why a completely blank wall? I wouldn’t sacrifice that much space in my kitchen, even for an amazing wallpaper. Open wall shelves would have helped a lot here.

Crystal Chandelier
The panel loved Mikel’s pick of an ornate chandelier tied up with rustic twine, although they lamented that it was hard to see against the crazy, pink toile wallpaper.

Farm Table Centerpiece
Genevieve said she would “lay on a railroad track” for this tressel table, but otherwise, the panel wasn’t impressed with this room’s overall look…or its cramped space plan.

Rachel Kate and Stanley Palmieri

In the end, Rachel and Stanley both made fatal errors that, alongside another round of lackluster camera challenges, put them at the bottom of the pack. They were both sent home last night.

Check back tomorrow for David and Meg’s reactions to tonight’s episode.

Now it’s your turn: What did you think of last night’s designs? Did the right designers go home? Tell me in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 pm

137 Comments

1. White chairs in the kitchen? Crazy.

TwoViewers on July 5, 2012 at 9:14 am
  2. Looking at the closeup of Brittany's backsplash, it appears there is glass or plexiglass in the picture frames.

Hilari and Stanley's kitchen was the most colorful, but I wonder if it wasn't chosen to appear in the magazine because the cabinet "hand" -les were nearly nonfunctional, not something you want to show your readers. I thought the red countertops were a good choice as this was not the time to think "neutral for resale", but the blue walls didn't work for me. Even though the cabinets were not really yellow, it seemed to be a primary color palette better suited for a child's room. That's what gave it a juvenile feel to me, not the soup letters as Genevieve commented.

DSWatcher on July 5, 2012 at 9:58 am
  3. I think the final two will be Danielle and Brittany. Mikel has not won anyone over at a finalist. Maybe it's because he is a nice guy and just voices his opinion. He did not like the wallpaper idea. It is a team competition so he has let his partner make decisions. Hilari could knock out Brittany or Danielle I doubt the final two finalist will be Danielle and Hilari-it could be Brittany and Hilari. I hope Danielle wins but this is the first year if either win I will be looking forward to watching their show.

I am not a big fan at all of Meg. I am glad that some of you enjoy her show. Every show is not for everyone. I would not have her do a room for me.

maria on July 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm
  4. Great idea! I'd watch that, too!

Jackie on July 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm
    • Are you listening, HGTV???

tiagolin on July 6, 2012 at 9:18 am
  5. I LOVED Stanlee and Hillari's kitchen! Call me crazy. I thought it was fun, funky, extremely creative and inviting to me. Would love to have that for my own :) The other 2 looked over cluttered :( However, I'm glad they kept on Mikel, just wish there could have been a final 5 and kept Stanlee too! It was HIGH time Rachel went home. Really loved her first challenge, but she just seemed to fizzle out ~ probably too much pressure, not enough time to think her ideas through.

Dee on July 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm
  6. It is hard to believe that a kitchen won when the only color pop was a yellow door that would be pale and unmatched when all of the yellow flowers were gone and the yellow plates and linens were put away in order to make the kitchen somewhat functional. I tend to agree with a previouis commentor that none of these kitchens would be functional, but the emphasis of the task was to do something bold. Thus Stanley should not have been sent home. I am sure that given the time, he would have worked out the functional difficulty with the hands not opening. Once again the final selection is going to be someone like many of the others, who I do not care to watch. When this program began I had high hopes for it given the fact that David's design was striking and that he won. This week I was even disappointed with David and that is rare. I only hope that David does not begin to "blend in" and also that I can find Stanley on a program that woould be fun to watch. He could have a great show with ideas that spark the imagination much like Antonio does..

R . H. on July 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm
  7. where did hilary and stanley find the island for their kitchen?

Theresa D on July 5, 2012 at 7:23 pm
    • I think it is just base cabinets with a counter top. The edge that we see in the picture looks just like their cabinets.

Corvette Lady on July 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm
  8. I meant to ask where did Rachel and Mikel find that island?

Theresa D on July 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm
  9. IMHO, Danielle and Brittany won because their kitchen was the least ugly. It wasn't awful it was just blah. The others were awful

Linda7849 on July 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm
  10. Wow, what a tough way to make a living–putting one's creativity and imagination on the line each week–all the contestants should be commended for their efforts. Stanley was a loose cannon but I enjoyed watching him. Danielle really is the complete package. She listen closely and then delivers, that is what I would want in a designer. I am voting for her–she is someone I would watch.

Guest on July 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm