Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 4

David on Ep 6: “It Was ‘Toile-icious’…Not A Good Moment”

Design Star Season 7 Designers With David Bromstad and Sara Peterson

David on the “crazy soup kitchen,” plus whose design skills imploded during the “infamous, ego-crushing kitchen challenge.”

See David’s thoughts from the Design Star set:

Do you agree with David’s critique? Which designers do you think deserved to go home? Give your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:48 am

62 Comments

1. David, as a design you are great, as an artist real good and as a mentor, excellent. A host, not so much. It is hard to play both roles and I think you are distancing yourself from the contestants this season. Get a host next year and go back to being yourself. Also, your commentaries are fun, but you can be a bit on the mean side. Yes, Stanley's hands were awful. (Disembodied hands NEVER work IMHO), but waving goodbye was a bit obnoxious.

Design is cool on July 4, 2012 at 7:46 am
    • I agree – disembodied hands never work! I agree – let David mentor and let someone else host.

Michigan on July 4, 2012 at 8:19 am
    • David I have watched your show since Design Stars first season I think you do a GREAT job as host. But it was mean for you to wave Stanley Off. He was my favorite of all the designers. I was sorry to see him go but those hands were wrong. Maybe if he had chosen only one style of a hand that might have worked. I will miss Stanley he truly is a wonderful designer and I woul d ask him to design any spot for me.

Mary Lou NH on July 4, 2012 at 8:54 am
  2. Why would anyone think a kitchen doesn't need upper cabinets? If you watch any of the property buying shows, kitchen storage and workspace are the first things anyone mentions. I also wonder why anyone would put wallpaper near the sink (or stove). Kitchens walls must be washable! Even in the cleanest kitchen, "stuff" happens and "stuff" gets on the walls.

Loved the colors in the red & blue kitchen, but the hands??? CREEPY. End of discussion.

The frames as a backsplash — hard to keep clean. Maybe would have worked if the photos could be behind a large piece of plexiglass – solid, smooth, easily cleanable.

I'm glad Rachel went home. She was turning into a know-it-all whiner. A little sorry about Stanley, despite the hands. I do think the best kitchen won, but ladies, you must do better in the camera challenges. Get to the point more quickly and remember to tell us something useful!

Michigan on July 4, 2012 at 8:17 am
  3. I watch HGTV Design Star with my kids every week and then we do a design challenge of our own. We discuss gracious losing and winning and how to work as a team. They love coming up with their own ideas and making videos presenting their designs.

My eight year old son, in particular, wants to become a designer himself. Stanley was his favorite this year and he was sad to see him go. If Stanley is a guest on anyone's show, I'm sure my kids would watch. We'd love to see him design a really cool playground or basement playroom.

My kids have become increasingly disturbed to hear that the contestants are kept away from their children. I have to travel for work and have to leave my kids for as long as a week with their father or sometimes with the grandparents. Beyond that they start to beg for me to come home. I see no reason for the contestants to all live in a home together without their families. Certainly younger children could be brought along and put in daycare during the day. Alternatively, the contestants could be paid enough to fly home for the weekends if they wish so that they have family time at least once a week. It is unclear how long the contestants have been away from their families, but from my children's perspective as viewers, it appears that they have been gone for over a month. A contestant appears to have expressed sadness about her child in last week's episode and is still missing her child this week's episode. My kids have questioned why Design Star is keeping the contestants from their kids. Certainly HGTV could implement more family friendly policies in future seasons.

Christina Sormani on July 4, 2012 at 8:47 am
  4. I've enjoyed Design Star this year. Vern has actually smiled. I've liked all the guest judges. The challenges have been interesting. I agree David has seemed harsh. Looking forward to the next couple of Tuesdays. I thought the ladies' kitchen was way overpacked with stuff but filling in the spaces looks good on camera. I concur with Michigan above, plexiglass would have been much better to put pictures or recipes or notes behind. It's so nice to have a show that's not House Hunters or House Hunters International!!!!

dooby78 on July 4, 2012 at 9:22 am
  5. I agree totally with everything that David said about the designers. He truly is honest and has a great way of sharing his opinion. I feel that Rachel did not have the presence for a show and Stanley can make great architectural things but is not a total designer for rooms. I feel that the remaining designers are definitely the right ones to be remaining and I am leaning towards Danielle because she not only is a great designer but has a terrific personality which comes across every episode.

Karen on July 4, 2012 at 9:51 am
  6. My fellow friends and I will not be watching this show again. Sad. We all agreed that Stanleys kitchen was something NONE of us have EVER seen before. It was BEYOND exciting… the kitchen that won, we each have seen in atleast 4 billion homes… BORING, DULL, NOTHING… and that female judge???? That 50 year old woman is wearing go-go boots? seriously???? is she trying to looking like a street walker??? and SHE is judging style? WE ARE DONE… pray you go off the air.

Flight Attendant on July 4, 2012 at 10:24 am
  7. I think the right designers went home though I did like Stanley. I hope Mikel can step it up a notch. I agree with David being a little harsh last night. I had quit watching because Candice was too harsh. Genevieve has improved with the harshness. It is one thing to have constructive criticism another thing to be mean. That said – looking forward to next week.

MD3 on July 4, 2012 at 10:33 am
  8. David, I think you are a great designer and mentor, but these recaps are showing a catty side of you. I don't like it and am surprised HGTV allows it. Meg's vlog recap isn't catty or mean. Show a little more compassion, since you know how hard this is.

lemurific on July 4, 2012 at 11:59 am
  9. I love you David, and I have followed you avidly since Season 1 of Design Star. But this cattiness is not worthy of you. I love you as a host and mentor, but you are looking like a back stabber and someone not to be trusted.

peggy on July 4, 2012 at 12:48 pm
  10. Sad to see Rachel go home. Mikal should have gone, but that would have left 4 women so I'm sure that factored in. I'm hoping the next design star will be better than those in the recent years. Hope the judges choose someone who decorates for the average family. I'm tired of the extreme decors that the judges seem to like. Choose someone with good design sense that will appeal to the average homeowner. Love Sabrina, matt& Sheri, &Jane from color confidential.

eileen bjorlin on July 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm