Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 4

Meg on Design Star Ep 6: “It Has to Be Functional”

Meg Caswell - Design Star Season 6 Winner

Meg chats about why one designer was eliminated, whose design decisions this week “took courage” and the places she disagreed with the judges.

See Meg’s take on the designs from episode six:

What was your favorite element in this week’s episode? Do you think the right designers went home? Give your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:38 am

26 Comments

1. I don't know who watches Meg…Two seconds with that irritating voice and I have to shut it off…..

maggi on July 4, 2012 at 7:09 am
    • Sorry but I love Meg and her ideas.
      She brings things in that anyone can use.
      So far everyone that has been eliminated on the show is exactly how I would have done it, maybe not in the same order though.

Leah on July 4, 2012 at 9:57 am
    • I watch Meg. I have to say I did not appreciate her until the last couple of episodes of DS last year, and her show is great. She is warm, compassionate and very talented. She does so much more on her own show that she got to do on Design Star, including large remodeling jobs removing/adding walls, etc. Her voice is much better than so many young women (including some on HGTV and even one of the DS contestants this season) who sound so nasal, like they are wearing a clothespin on their noses.

Moonbeam on July 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm
    • I agree Meg rots!! I don't know how she even won!

justj on July 11, 2012 at 5:44 am
  2. I dont even know why Meg was chosen to be the next designstar last year…she really does have an irritedvoicccce.. but the judges are bad judges too. If a designer was really good and they mess up like once..they eliminate them. I liked yuki and well you know what happened…

ihateyernyip on July 4, 2012 at 7:22 am
  3. Enough ragging on Meg. I didn't want her to win either, but she seems like a pleasant person and her show is good. I really disagreed with the judges this week (although that hands thing was disastrous). Just to say that Meg was right about Rachel's choice. More cabinets would have made that wallpaper less obvious.

Design is cool on July 4, 2012 at 7:34 am
    • The HGTV failed to listen to what the viewers wanted last season. They really need a DESIGN IDOL!! I said it first and I will say it again!! Host a DESIGN IDOL!! Have an audience, have a host, have judges, and future wanna be designers. I guarantee it would make FOX or another network eventually. Too bad I'm not in Hollywood.

Kimberly on July 11, 2012 at 6:38 am
  4. Only on a design show would anyone choose to leave a wall blank in a kitchen where storage is KEY. I agree with Meg that they should have at least installed some open shelving.

penny on July 4, 2012 at 9:18 am
  5. I agree with who went home, but I will miss Stanley! It's getting hard! No matter who goes home at this point, it will make me cry. It seems like this season is moving so quickly!

I agree with Meg about the open shelving. Hated that wall paper. Mikel should have been a little more forceful. I fear he will be the one eliminated next week. The ladies are really bringing it.

I was not a huge Meg fan last season, and didn't agree that she should win. But I have come to love her through these critiques. She is so kind and never catty. I hope David can take a lesson from her.

peggy on July 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    • You are right, Peggy! I didn't appreciate Meg enough until the last couple of episodes of DS last season, and she does some great work on her own show. I find I enjoy her and the Junk Gypsies the most on Saturday night. Meg does some pretty high-end remodeling jobs on her show, moving walls and such. She and her carpenter have great chemistry and she is so down to earth, not at all a diva. Her love of people seems to show in everything thing she does.

Moonbeam on July 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm
      • So true, Meg is awesome…..Down to earth designer and she"ll go far….and who doesn't love mark…..They work well together!

april on July 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm
    • Maybe theyHGTV needs a carpenter, Stanley would be great. Someone should get him an application.
      His onscreen references speak for themselves.

ovrjoyd on July 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm
  6. I wish they would put Meg's show on their website! I never get to see it.

peggy on July 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    • Thank you Peg. I have written to everyone, about putting Meg's show on the website. I'm sure that sometime they will, but I don't understand why it is taking so long. I like Meg because it just shows me that anyone that loves design can go on the show and win. Meg is camera pretty, she's personable, and I just love that she is showing off her talents.

David on July 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm
  7. the wallpaper…OMG. what in holy heck was rachel thinking? definitely time to go home, but mikel should have gone with her for allowing it. if this years design star contestents always have to work in pairs, they must be held partly responsible for the turnout. mikel should've spoken up, shouted, jumped on counter top, grabbed a can of paint, ANYTHING to avoid that wallpaper. i do agree, the right 'team' won, but didn't love the frames backsplash. final 2…danielle and brittney.

peg5 on July 4, 2012 at 7:58 pm
    • I think Mikkel's chandelier saved him. Also the fact that he didn't like the wallpaper idea from the beginning and told Rachel so.

Moonbeam on July 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm
  8. I totally agree with Meg's assessment. I believe Mikel will go home next week. He hasn't shown any "depth" in design. Danielle and Brittney will be finalists!! Can't wait to see their challenge!! This season of Design Star has really flown by….

KR Johnson on July 5, 2012 at 6:24 am
  9. i did not like that the kitchen cousins were on the panel. They seemed extremely picky and irritating!!

Bobby on July 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    • I Loved having the cousins! I love their show because they are so creative, and I appreciated their expertise as DS judges. WHY did they have MARG HELGENwhatever?

Penny on July 6, 2012 at 12:00 pm
      • I think they should have more Hollywood people help judge. I would love to see a movie star give his/her opinion. Also, it would be great to have a viewer who is a devout HGTV at home viewer judge on the show and share their opinions. We all know that its Vern and G that really make the decisions along with the producers.

Kimberly on July 11, 2012 at 6:32 am
  10. Danielle has great taste, but she stikes me as very phony. I wish she went home. i wouldn't be able to watch her. Meg was my favorite personality, but she had to go.

Patti on July 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm