Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 6

Sneak Peek: Episode 7

Final Four Designers With Host David Bromstad

This week, the final four take on their first small space challenge: Create a colorful condo living room. The camera challenge stakes are higher, too, as each contestant must give a decorating tip in front of a live studio audience on CBS’s The Talk. But will the pressure be too much for some contestants? See a sneak peek of the action after the jump.

Watch exclusive scenes from episode seven:

Predictions: Who do you think will win this week, and who’s next to go home?

Posted at 12:13 pm

65 Comments

1. Did I miss Britany in that preview?

Rickapolis on July 6, 2012 at 8:28 am
  2. Yeah, why is Brittany always left out of these things??????????

DS Fan Debbie on July 6, 2012 at 9:09 am
  3. Why don't you change the name of the show to "Shopping Star?" That way your contestants would at least be qualified to be on the show.

I've seen too many condo units that needed real design help, and I assure you that shopping for furniture and a "pop of colour" wasn't the solution. Not even close!

They are going to be on The Talk. What's to worry? Can they be more inane or stupid than the usual guests on that show? Hope not!

erikcreature on July 6, 2012 at 9:19 am
    • Yes, I agree. I hope it's not "Decorating Star." What happens to creating something unique?
      From the last four contestants, who do you think created something unique, beautiful and functional from the past 6 episodes?

PRM on July 6, 2012 at 7:23 pm
      • I forgot to add innovative and budget savvy as criteria for selecting the winners.

PRM on July 6, 2012 at 7:28 pm
        • My criterion for great design is timelessness. That is the difference between designing and inferior decorating. When something looks dated, then it wasn't well designed to begin with.

erikcreature on July 7, 2012 at 2:09 am
  4. I have really been enjoying this season's Design Star and those moments when the designers truly work cooperatively. I like it when the show focuses on design instead of soap opera style drama. I was glad to see the bitchy, uncooperative contestants go ealrly.

I was a little disappointed in the judges reaction to the "SOUP" kitchen this week. It was fun and playful and out of the ordinary. The blue and yellow kitchen that won was pretty but very ordinary, like I would find in any of my neighbors' homes. On the one hand the judges say show your talents as a designer, step out of the box, but then they don't reward that effort. I loved the hands as handles and the letter art. Maybe the colors weren't ideal, but I've seen some of the boring color palettes that the judges have put together on their shows.

Also I would really like to see more detailed filming of the final projects so that we can get a better look at them.

Chris on July 6, 2012 at 11:33 am
    • I agree with you that the blue (I think it's light mint green) and yellow is acceptable. Although I don't particularly like the hands, the space planning and functionality of the "soup" kitchen is better , island and bar stools. The dining tables from other teams look like you can't access the kitchen sink without hitting your legs with the chair or refrigerator.

PRM on July 6, 2012 at 7:15 pm
  5. The judges were right to send Rachel and Stanley packing. Interior design has to be "pretty" and practical. A functional backsplash is kitchen design 101 – and so are door handles that don't collide with one another. I think Stanley also got tangled up in his own building skills; he had begun to see every space as a stage for his wood working talent, even when it didn't require it.

As for the S-O-U-P sign, it was poorly executed. Period.

Anyone who wants to win "Design Star" has to be able to think beyond the brainstorming stage. Just because an idea pops into one's head doesn't mean it belongs in the design.

Polarstar on July 6, 2012 at 9:19 pm
    • I think the right people got sent home. I just wasn't thrilled with some of the comments.

Chris on July 7, 2012 at 12:58 pm
  6. The more I think about it, the more I want Danielle to win. She's got a great personality, she's a great thinker, and her work is beautiful. And I think Hilari's designs are pretty good, but when I hear, "My philosophy is to buy pieces that you love," what I'm really hearing is, "Just wing it 'cause whatever style comes out of things you love will be good." And I think that's really kind of backwards thinking.

Mikel is a good designer, but I just don't think he has enough personality to pull it off. And what happened to a sneak peak of Brittany's work? She either knocked it out of the park and had no problems, or they just forgot about her. Or she did terribly and is going home, but the latter is the least likely of my speculations. After Danielle, Brittany is my next pick for winner. I thought she had the best portfolio from the start.

Chelsea H. on July 7, 2012 at 6:19 am
  7. Danielle is the best by far! She works so well with everyone. I used to want Brittany, but then she went on and on about how her Hollywood design was so much better than Danielle's, and that just kind of ticked me off. I'd be happy with any of them winning. Also, I thought Hilari's Hollywood design was amazing, I want something like that in my house, in like, 10 years, considering the fact that I'm only 11. Ever since 3rd grade I've wanted to be on HGTV, so I'm taking notes from all the designers. If you see me win design star someday, remember me!

Emily F. on July 7, 2012 at 9:52 am
    • I think this season's Design Star is the best one so far. Every episode this season has been so much better than last year's. The designers are really good and these are exactly the final four I would choose. They're all talented, smart people who work well with others. I'm sorry, but I truly can't even watch last season's winner – Meg – no matter what anyone says. This year, I'm cheering for Danielle – what an amazing designer – she would be a fantastic addition to HGTV! I LOVE her!

Corvin1 on July 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm
  8. where can you purchase some of the items seen on design star like the kitchen island from the last show

letta on July 7, 2012 at 11:58 am
    • During the episode, they show some of the stores the designers are visiting. Not sure if they showed exactly where the kitchen island was purchased. :)

KR Johnson on July 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm
  9. They probably didn't show Brittany in the sneak peek because if it doesn't catches your eye (remember this is all about the "drama" as well) then she probably just didn't have drama. However, with her not being in the sneak peak… it does have us talking… so I'm sure HGTV loves that!! :)

KR Johnson on July 7, 2012 at 2:07 pm
  10. Rachel is still my favorite, when she said "Shut Up" I could have rolled out of my chair. I think she is natural and very good with paint. Even though the judges didn't like her Victorian….I did. Not crazy about the kitchen but over all I really like her style.

Moncher on July 7, 2012 at 5:06 pm