Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 6

Sneak Peek: Episode 7

Final Four Designers With Host David Bromstad

This week, the final four take on their first small space challenge: Create a colorful condo living room. The camera challenge stakes are higher, too, as each contestant must give a decorating tip in front of a live studio audience on CBS’s The Talk. But will the pressure be too much for some contestants? See a sneak peek of the action after the jump.

Watch exclusive scenes from episode seven:

Predictions: Who do you think will win this week, and who’s next to go home?

Posted at 12:13 pm

65 Comments

1. More design and less drama. It is called DESIGN Star!

@trishtalk1 on July 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm
    • I hear ya, but HGTV must get and/or keep their ratings and DRAMA will do it everytime! :D

KR Johnson on July 9, 2012 at 9:12 am
    • More like less drama and no talent this DS season LOL. I agree with what someone else said that there are no stand up designers this season. I appreciate the no drama but not the lack of talent. Where are the individual's unique point of view? It seems their best asset this season is that the ones left now know how to put a room together. Big whoop. If you're a design professional good enough to earn a spot on the show, then that seems pretty basic. BUT just because they are designers doesn't necessarily make them a STAR. Wake me up when the season ends please.

Passing Thru on July 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm
  2. Mikel and Rachel found their kitchen island at Reed's Furniture in Agoura Hills, Ca. You can find all of the products from Design Star episode 6 here.

Liz_HGTV on July 9, 2012 at 6:41 am
  3. Agree about Brittany's portfolio – would want her work in my home any day of the week. Not so sure who should be design star, though. Don't want to watch any design divas, although most were sent home earlier. Danielle and Mikel are the easiest to watch or hear, while Hilari can be the liveliest/funniest one. In my book, Brittany gets points off for her ungracious behavior following the Hollywood challenge and camera segment, although her room was excellent; Hilari with her "no, I'm going to get my way" mantra during the living room challenge with Mikel although I really liked her picks – but her in your face camera style is getting a bit weird. Still, I do like her and some of her ideas are terrific. No easy choices in the final four.

Mangofish on July 9, 2012 at 7:09 am
  4. please bring back Candace Olsen as a judge more often…..she is terrific….she can do my home anytime, never saw a design I didn't like….she listens to the clients

Linda Halfpop on July 9, 2012 at 11:59 am
  5. Good luck to all four final designers as they get ready to be on television. Here's hoping that Mikel will step it up this time, and impress the judges and audience with his skill and design ability. It would be nice to have another man win DS this time around. But the ladies are very good: Britney, Danielle and Hilari will certainly give the women an edge. Should be interesting!

cheryl johnson on July 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm
  6. I'm 11 too! Finally someone else likes hgtv that's my age. Quite sadly they start excepting you when your 21. But I'm hoping they'll still do it in ten years!

hgtvrox on July 9, 2012 at 6:37 pm
  7. Seriously, this is the blandest DS season yet. The other seasons had unnecessary drama, but at least the designers had some individual style and a unique point of view that was their own. Yawn city this season!
    I watch it mostly online now and half that time is doing something else while I have this running in the background. LOL. And I can't believe they have last season's winner as a guest judge when they have yet to invite any other previous winners back as a judge. Really HGTV?

You're just becoming another channel to surf through. I watch 2 shows now from time to time – Love it or List it and Property Brothers (and occasionally I'll watch the Kitchen Brothers). The rest is just doesn't hold my interest. And I used to watch HGTV 24/7. ha.

Passing Thru on July 10, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    • I love Design Star. Daniel & Hillary are my favorites…good personalities & designs.

HGTV programing is ;loosing my interest in other programing, however. I miss Design on a Dime..which called for creativity and reality solutions to everyone's regular problems. Million Dollar homes & celebrity homes are unrealistic & boring.

Van on July 11, 2012 at 6:31 am
  8. Ithink Mikel will go home. Bring it girls!

nicole on July 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm
  9. I want to know why Britany wasn't in the Ep 7 Preview? It doesn't seem fair for the fan voting to always leave her out of the picture. She is such an awesome designer and a great competitor why has she been ignored most of the season? It would seem like she would shine in this episode because of her background in residential design.

Antonio on July 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm
  10. SPOILER ALERT! :

I actually had the opportunity to watch The Talk this afternoon, where the designers are featured! One of my best friends who knows I love and watch Design Star called me going, "Ohmygosh ohmygosh, Chels! Turn to channel 13!" And there they were! Which means I got to see the full camera challenges, which was really quite exciting for me. :)
    Honestly, they all did well in front of an audience. None of them were excessively chatty or stuttering, so in those areas, they were great. I thought, however, that Mikel's challenge was the least strong. He made a reference to his set design background, which made it more personal, but it didn't actually have anything to do with his tip. And although he talked about bringing color into a space, it wasn't totally evident unless you were paying attention. I liked Hilari's tip the best! :)
    I'm really anxious to hear if the judges will pick up on the same things I did, or if they will nit-pick something totally different. Can't wait for tonight's episode!!! :D

Chelsea H. on July 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm
    • The hostess had to get Hilari back on script. That was a real problem.

Guest on July 10, 2012 at 10:17 pm
      • I suppose you're correct. Hilari's tip was great, though, and I still think that having TOO much to say is a better problem than not having enough to say, or not being right on topic. Although Hilari was running over on time, she wasn't rambling. The coversation was relevant, just not as succinct as it could have been.

Chelsea H. on July 11, 2012 at 12:10 am