Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 9

Give Yourself a Hand (Or Maybe Not)

Have you checked out our Design Star Pinterest board? Over on the board, our followers are chatting away about a certain detail in Stanley and Hilari’s kitchen. Remember these hand-shaped cabinet pulls?

Kitchen Hand Detail

The judges gave the pulls a definitive thumbs-down, but our Pinterest followers are having a full-blown debate. Some are 100 percent against it, like Kathy V.  “I didn’t like the pulls at all…I can’t imagine enough people like them enough to even have them on the market. Just sayin’.”

Others aren’t so sure.  Marty T says they’d make great mudroom coat hooks, while Alison M. likes them as art pieces only. Diane K knew Stanley was in trouble the minute he started to screw them in. “Would have made great towel racks, but as cabinet knobs…no! I knew he was a goner.”

And reader Melissa N says, “I did not like the hands either, but after Stanley received so much praise for his white room in that challenge (wtf was that???), I never know what the judges are looking for.”

But LaRaina W says “I think this is cool and interesting! Definitely not everyone’s taste (or mine), but I can still appreciate it.” And Angela B adds:  “I think this is great!!! This would be perfect for a closet door. Air Five!”

So what do you think? Take the poll, then tell us why you love/loathe the hands in the comments below.  (See all of the designs from the kitchen challenge here.)

[polldaddy poll=6376404]

Posted at 9:51 am

14 Comments

1. Stanley's spur of the moment decision to use the "hands," is a glaring example of the difference between being an artist and being a designer. Artists do whatever they are feeling emotionally. Designers have a plan, designing is an intellectual process. No Real Designer "shops" for their designs.

erikcreature on July 9, 2012 at 7:53 am
  2. Every year I look forward to Design Star! I really hate the shows with double eliminations. One less week to watch and one more week before the next season begins.

Jansheana on July 9, 2012 at 7:53 am
  3. I think if Stanley had used two hands, one on each cabinet by the window, it would have been great. A touch of whimsy can be nice but Stanley just went to far.

Corvette Lady on July 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    • I agree that he went too far with it — I think they're a cool, interesting touch (ha) in the right kitchen space, but this wasn't done well…too bad.

CarlyBoo on July 11, 2012 at 7:21 am
  4. I can't vote since my opinion isn't really listed. If they had been smaller they would have been not just a touch of funk and whimsy but functional as well. The size they were I would have preferred them as something else like coat or towel hooks.

Actually I preferred this kitchen and the fun pop look over the one that won so much praise. That HUGE chandler in that one was way to big in that space to me and it all felt terribly cramped. I also can't imagine all that crystal being practical in a KITCHEN with the smoke, grease, etc that tends to happen if you actually COOK in there.

A Mused on July 10, 2012 at 3:55 am
  5. i really wish i knew where he got the hands from because i may be a minority here but i love them. my husband and i are now looking for them for our kitchen because it fits our idea of what we want our kitchen to be like. I like the fact that Stanley thought out side the box. I get so sick of always seeing the same cookie cutter design ideas, not everyone is into whatever you can find in the pages of every design catalog. His artistic design will be missed. It was refreshing to see someting unique this year on design star, sadly didnt last. Such a shame, another cookie cutter show for HGTV.

Kaos on July 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm
    • I liked Stanley's and Hilary's kitchen the best. The hands were too big and impractical where Stanley chose to place them, IMO. On a smaller scale, here and there, sure. Or, kept the same size, used elsewhere as others have suggested. The color combo was superb as far as I'm concerned.

onetuffgoob on July 10, 2012 at 7:26 pm
  6. Although I don't think Stanley s design worked here in this kitchen, I do like his designs. You can look at them in the fan voting section. I think he could have a great design show helping businesses with a new look . I don't think the average home is right for him, his designs are more of artwork .

Pam on July 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm
  7. How is Yuki at the top of the fan favorite vote? She was eliminated on the first show – as she should have been.

Guest on July 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm
  8. please tell me where i can purchase the hands..can't buy them soon enough!

marianne on July 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm
  9. I think that Hilary was a great designer and could have had a great show on HGTV she was natural & funny to watch.

Maurice on July 17, 2012 at 10:30 pm
  10. Those hands…… Horrible. I mean, look at them! They creep me out. That was a huge risk. He blew it. They just look…. Y'know?

Evelyn on July 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm