Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 11

Guest Judge Meg on Ep 7: “It Was Difficult…Judging Them”

Guest Judge Meg Caswell

Season six winner (and last night’s guest judge) Meg Caswell talks about why it was hard to be on the other side of the elimination table, and what she remembers most from this point in the competition.

Who do you think has the best camera skills so far? Do you think the right designer went home? Voice your opinion in the comments below.

Posted at 10:01 am

33 Comments

1. Can't we have 2 winners this season?! i think Brittany & Danielle should BOTH get their own show!

sweetsky on July 11, 2012 at 6:30 am
  2. I keep asking for a DESIGN IDOL. It keeps disappearing on the blog.

Bring in a host, an audience, judges, and wanna be design stars.

Kimberly on July 11, 2012 at 6:59 am
  3. Loved that Meg was a guest judge this week! I don't think Genevieve likes this idea because it's showing that someone can come in and do what the judges have been doing all along! I felt a little bit of disconnect between Genevieve and Meg, and am not sure if this had anything to do with it! Couldn't agree with the judges more that Mikel's green was a bit off! Nice job judges! Mikel goes out in style! I hope to hear more from Mikel! Who knows maybe HGTV can somehow incorporate Mikel into a guest appearance or something! Hope to see more of Meg! The judge panel time is so limited as it is, and I think Meg is the perfect person for doing some more guest appearances! I like watching David too! My favorite ever!

David on July 11, 2012 at 11:35 am
    • Well said, David. I did not notice the disconnect between Genevieve and Meg, but I wasn't paying that much attention. Now that you've mentioned it, maybe it does make sense. Would love to know if there is any discord between them.

I, too, am a fan of Meg. Unfortunately, she is a person who carries much of her weight in her face and chin, despite the fact that she is really not as fat as people keep implying in their blog comments. I wish she would get some liposuction in her chin and neck area because I want to see her continue to be successful on TV and I fear she could be hindered in the future (because I doubt weight loss alone would completely fix the problem). I also like her gravelly voice much better than a high-pitched, whiney voice or an overly nasal voice. She is one of the best designers ever and I hope her show is never cancelled. I fear Emily Henderson's Secrets From a Stylist may not be back, and I suspect one of the reasons is that people kept complaining about Emily's voice. She needed to work with a voice coach. I so miss her show.

I agree with you that the judges did a great job. Mikel and Hillari would be great on a show together. Mikel does pick out nice furnishings, as does Hillari, but she is also good at color choices and space planning. They balance each other well and are apparently good friends.

Ultimately, I think it will come down to Danielle or Brittany as the winner. I think Danielle has a slight edge, although she didn't do as good a job as Brittany this week (except on the camera challenge). Both are pretty, but Hillary's voice is a bit nasal, and she tends to be a little safer and more cookie-cutter in her designs.

Moonbeam on July 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm
    • I so agree.. on the disconnect with Meg and Genevieve, I think Genevieve thinks she is a little bit better than the others.. Vern on the other hand has never put himself on a pedestal. I do think the right one went home this time.. sorry Mikel.. great guy but it just did not work this time.

StarCraze on July 11, 2012 at 3:43 pm
      • I think Genevieve can be condescending to the designers. She's been this way for a few years and I refuse to watch her show! I switch the channel every time her show comes on. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a disconnect between her and Meg. Although Meg wasn't my choice, I do watch her showand find her enjoyable.

MD3 on July 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm
  4. Danielle skated by this week, but I think she is very weak and can't manage time at all. On Meg's blog, do you think she just out of the pool or shower, she looked terrible. Put a little make up on !!!

Cindy on July 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    • Meg has a great personality and so much talent, but I agree with you that she needs to be extra careful to spruce herself up for the camera. I would also love to see her have some liposuction in her chin area because I don't think weight loss alone will take that away and it really detracts from her appearance. I still enjoy her as much as David, though, especially since he moved to Miami. I would much rather watch Meg and her carpenter, Mark, working together. They make the whole process enjoyable to watch, whereas David's Miami team really bores me. I sometimes tune out and then just catch the end so I can see the final results. And I haven't enjoy the final results as much as I used to when David was doing more the furniture and accessory selections in San Francisco. As for Meg, people who keep criticizing her and refuse to watch her show are really missing out on some great remodeling and design work she's been doing.

Moonbeam on July 11, 2012 at 3:00 pm
      • MB, am seeing some really nice comments on here. Couldn't agree with you more on David's team! Love the Puerto Rican girl that goes shopping, but just don't like the team combo working with David. It takes away. I've never been to Miami and maybe that's just my problemo. Of course, I wish David would move to Los Angeles, and get some new team members. Not that the old team members are bad, I just don't think they compliment him. Well said, and thanks for the insight.

David on July 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm
        • I totally agree. Loved David's show from san Fran, but the Miami shows are too unrealistic and way out of most people's comfort zone. Not many people decorate their homes like that except maybe in Miami. Maybe he should move back to middle America.

eileen on July 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm
      • I so agree with you about the Miami team. It's all about them, what they are wearing, etc, where as, Danielle was so talented and so real. I miss Ian too. Just can't get into the Miami crew at all. DB is as great as ever, but I do miss his going out and shopping…..I always learned some great tip from that.

Wendy on July 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm
  5. I think Danielle is a good designer. She breaks under-pressure. Brittany is a good designer but needs to shy away fromthe graphic wall art. Its coming to be a little too redundant.Hillary is good at assecories and i would like to see what she has as a whole.

Laquita on July 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm
    • Hillari has a great personality and would do a good show with Mikel, but I don't see her hosting her own show. She also needs to work with a voice coach a bit. But she is talented — I think HGTV will find a way to use her in the future even if she doesn't win DS (and I don't think she will win it). She needs to stop bragging about herself so much, though. It's cute up to a point, but then it begins to sound a bit delusional.

Moonbeam on July 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm
  6. I would like each week to see a post with the rooms and the paint colors and brand of paint used etc.

Marshamellow on July 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm
  7. Huh? When did Hilari brag about herself??? LOL clearly you are not a fan and Thats fine but the personal and petty comments absent from anything relevent to the show dilute your commentary!

Venice on July 11, 2012 at 7:05 pm
  8. I think the fact that she is joking around about being so awesome and affordable must not be coming across as a joke to you. I mean you don't have the same sense of humor. Also I agree she could enunciate slightly more but I love her accent otherwise, so much more dynamic and of a relaxing pace than e.g. Brittni.

Michelle on July 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm
  9. Somehow I always had the feeling that David Bromstad was from Miami, and that moving the show there was a concession to his off-TV life. The downside is that HGTV seems to have fewer resources there, so it's more whatever clients DB attracts (thus the pricey people) and whatever staff he digs up (totally miss the old staff too).

Michelle on July 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm
  10. Brittany needs to lose the hat but is by far the best designer on there. My only concern is that she is a one trick pony. Lets see what else you can do Brit!

Mary on July 11, 2012 at 11:52 pm