Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 13

Ask the Producer: Episode 7

Design Star Season 7 Cast

Producer Loren Ruch With the Season Seven Cast + Guest Meg Caswell

Each week, I chat with Design Star producer Loren Ruch about what we didn’t see on the show. This week, do the designers choose what they wear on the show? Plus: Find out how Meg felt when she returned to the DS set.

From Parebernet on the blog: As I watch each episode, I often wonder if a TV stylist helps the designers choose their on-air wardrobes. Are they simply given general guidelines on what to wear (or not to wear), or does someone actually help them throughout the challenges (beyond hair and makeup)?
Hello, Parebernet! All of our Design Star designers are 10o percent responsible for their own wardrobes, hair and makeup for the entire season. We had no one helping them at all (except for when they were on The Talk). I approve all of their interview outfits in advance and the outfits they wear in the show open, but other than that it’s totally up to them to dress themselves.

Meg has been the reigning Design Star for a little less than a year now…did being on-set bring back any fun/not fun memories for her?
I’m on set with Meg right now, so I asked her your question directly! She said that coming back to Design Star brought back two sets of memories and emotions for her. One was total and ultimate fear when she stepped into the evaluation studio. She said she had literally blocked out the ‘fear’ that she had felt from that part of the process until she stepped back in it…so it gave her a bit of a stomach ache! However, that feeling was overridden by the incredible love and support she received from Vern and Gen when she was on the show this year. She said that it ended up being so much fun being on the other side of the process – and that Gen and Vern made her feel like she was truly a member of the HGTV family!

Best on-set moment from this week’s episode?
By far it was being on the set of The Talk! The designers (and production team) were so excited to be part of something so huge for their camera challenge. My personal favorite moment was sitting in the audience of The Talk and cheering on all four of the designers. I was like a proud Papa watching my kids grow up in front of millions of people!

How exciting for the designers to be guests on The Talk! Which designer do you think was the most nervous before they went on stage? Did the demos sound different in person than they did on the show?
Surprisingly none of them seemed all that nervous! Hilari was LOVING the spotlight. Danielle was dancing and singing just moments before going on air. Britany looked like a supermodel on set, and people backstage thought she was a celebrity. And Mikel, who had taken hosting classes prior to Design Star, was so polished that he seemed like a regular contributor on the show. They all did so well…it was by far our most polished season.

Have a question for Loren? Ask in the comments below and he may just answer you next week!

Posted at 1:23 pm

29 Comments

1. I think the judges should see the room without knowing who actually did the room.. this way they would be judging the design NOT who they already like or dislike.. I want to hear the full discussion on why they like or dislike a design then after they tell them who designed what they liked….. I feel as soon as they hear who was responsible for a design they then decide to put it down or say it is good…. would like to see 2 guest judges every week to shut up Genevieve and Yip though they are a little better than last year. would prefer other judges

this show is totally predetermined who will continue before it even starts..

I want more time on the actual design less on them running around a store.. instead when the piece ends up in the room the cost why etc.. I dislike shows where the cost is for rich people not regular people

OldFan on July 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm
    • All good points!

erikcreature on July 15, 2012 at 8:42 am
  2. Didn't Meg just paint an entire Chicago apartment that green everyone hated???

Laura on July 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm
  3. What happened to Tanika. I was just wondering because David is not working for me as a host.

I think all the designers left have talent but I want Danielle to be less neutral and for brittany to stop doing near identical wall graffics. As for Hillari I think she is going to win and I could see her holding up a show.

J.B. on July 15, 2012 at 6:01 am
  4. Can HGTV redo the television show episode list? I find it very distracting to sort through the prior shows only to have to watch the same Sherwin Williams commercial before I even get to notice if I've already seen the show. My viewing hours would significantly increase, and HGTV would get more money for more views of prior shows.

David on July 15, 2012 at 10:57 am
  5. Also, when will the prior episodes of Meg's Great Rooms be posted on HGTV for us to watch?

David on July 15, 2012 at 10:58 am
  6. I loved Design Star until the last episode when I thought the lemon yellow chairs Britanny chose was a plant. I have been a designer for over 19 years and have never seen 4 lemon yellow chairs! Perhaps one in a showroom but never 4! And it seemed to match the accessories she chose before she found them. Unbelievable!

maltese21 on July 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm
    • "lemon" yellow is really trendy right now, so I am not surprised.

Kyla on July 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm
  7. I really enjoy Hillari's personality. She reminds me of Tempest Bledsoe from the Bill Cosby Show. She's a hoot!

D Yohe on July 17, 2012 at 9:33 am
  8. I dont get how no one knows who the design star is if they videod the whole season a while ago there family must know who won!

Ena Osen on July 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm
    • ya like they come home you think there neabor isint ganna be like who won?

Emily on July 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm
      • Yah I really would love to know that answer hope she answers you Ena Osen

I love blogs on July 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm
  9. Sorry, I have not taking the time to read all the posts. Why are designer decorating a yurt? Get them to help a young couple needing help with a new purchase. A generic "first home" buy. Get real, we are in a "recession"!

tamara on July 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm
  10. I would like to see Design Star set in another city such as Dallas, Atlanta or Chicago.

lori on July 17, 2012 at 7:11 pm