Liz Gray

Featured Blogger for HGTVersus

Jul 15

Design Star How-To: Create a Graphic Focal Wall With Trim

Hey, Design Star fans! It’s time for another how-to project inspired by the design elements featured on Design Star.  This time, we’re taking on Britany’s signature graphic wall. Remember this geometric pattern from the season premiere?

Britany's Design Star Geometric Focal Wall

She also recreated the look in her (winning!) yellow-inspired condo in this week’s episode.

Britany's Blue and White Graphic Wall

We asked HGTV.com contributor and Design Star producer Brian Patrick Flynn to recreate Britany’s graphic wall treatment and show you how to recreate it at home. Here’s his finished product:

Graphic Focal Wall How-to by Brian Patrick Flynn

See how he recreated Britany’s look, step-by-step:

Get the full how-to instructions for the graphic wall here, and learn how to create more projects seen on Design Star in our Design Star How-To Gallery.

Posted at 10:00 am

13 Comments

1. Mikel did a graphic wall sculpture too, but it was not mentioned at all. It was better than Britany's, however Britany's positioning of hers, was the correct place top put it, in order to divide the space properly. Had Mikel put his graphic in that position on the long wall, then someone else might have gone home.

erikcreature on July 15, 2012 at 8:55 am
    • Mikel's graphic wall in the last challenge was definitely more in line with my personal design taste. I agree about moving it to break up the long wall, though! Since we focused the how-to on creating contrast, I only highlighted examples featuring white with a bold color.

Liz_HGTV on July 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm
      • I didn't find anything about creating contrast mentioned in your blog.

White always looks awful.

erikcreature on July 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm
    • I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

damn on July 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm
  2. Britany….Vern and Genevieve need to understand that you smile from the inside out…..if the barefoot Genevieve was judging you i would pay attention…what she has evolved into is blah-de-blah-de-blah…..stuff and nonsense.

Mikel…..this was not an institutional green..it was soft and very mid-century…..loved it. hugs and hugs……I think you are head and shoulders above the other two….keep on keepin' on, luv.

Dianne on July 15, 2012 at 11:46 am
  3. SUPER! I have been waiting for an instructional video for her wall graphics. I find all of her spaces so inspiring and hope to be watching her show weekly on HGTV very soon. We are planning on trying this look out in my daughters bedroom soon.

JohnsonsFamily on July 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm
  4. How do I create the block-style floor design from Hilari's Hollywood lounge, episode 5(?) and put that on a wall??

SarahC on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 am
  5. Two boring finalist. Same ol' same ol'. Yawn city. Where is the energy from either of the two finalist? They just do the motions. Nice designs though, if I can stay awake to watch. Design Star is actually more fun and energetic when the two finalist aren't on the show.

C. White on July 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm
  6. that isn't true from where i sat…..while all were talented, I believe the finalists have the potential to go forward with a very interesting show….especially if Britany wins.

Dianne on July 18, 2012 at 5:13 am
  7. Ugh. I was shocked, SHOCKED, I say, that Hilary was sent packing. Didn't see that one comin.' She's so bubbly and talented. smh

MCM Deb on July 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm
  8. Can't get over this, why do people act like they don't already know that Brittany wins & is the next design star!!

Diann on July 23, 2012 at 11:17 am
    • i thought brittany told danielle to watch out because her mother had a stronger arm???? lmao

damn on July 29, 2012 at 11:28 am
  9. Fantastic designs!! So glad to learn creating ways of graphic focal wall with trim! To make some other exciting designs I'm looking forward to try by my own. Thanks for these inspirations.

Tucson SEO on January 27, 2013 at 12:11 am