Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 17

Episode 8 Recap: Yurt Last Chance

Judges and Host With Guest Judge Mark Steines

Get it…yurt last chance? Har, har. I couldn’t help but carry on all the yurt-related puns used in tonight’s show. Tonight, the final three designers took on a brand new challenge for Design Star: turn a yurt into a dream bedroom suite. (Find out more about yurts here.)

Entertainment Tonight host Mark Steines joined the panel to see which one of the designers shares his hosting skills. Like always, some of the hosting moments (and yurt suites) were dreamier than others — here’s what went down on this week’s episode.

Britany Simon in her finished yurt

Britany’s yurt was my favorite of the week. She worked with Design on a Dime carpenter Joel West to create a modern beach bungalow look in her yurt. She set out to do something different from her usual glam style, and she delivered — it was still bold and graphic, but in a new way.  Her camera challenges had a few awkward moments, but she’s getting better there, too.

Britany Simon - Yurt After

Her room’s main feature was a rotating bed with hidden storage along the back. I loved where her head was at, but think it might be kind of hard to get to said storage if you were really (okay, theoretically) living in this yurt.  My favorite part of the room: The draped teal fabric, all gathered around an ethereal, white pendant.

Britany After - Photo Detail

Britany’s a designer-slash-photographer, and, though she’s referenced her skills a lot this season, this was the first week we’ve seen her prints in a room. Vern wasn’t impressed, though — he said he “wanted them to be a little more abstract.” Ouch! As Emily Henderson would say, Britany, you’ve been Yipped.

Danielle Colding With Carpenter Chip Wade

Moving to the neighbor yurt, Danielle was paired up with Elbow Room host Chip Wade, and they created a “global contemporary” bedroom suite.

Danielle Colding's Finished Yurt

Danielle’s room seemed the most finished, with lots of artistic touches and cozy accessories, like these layered rugs:

Layered Rugs in the Yurt

Chip and Danielle collaborated on this contemporary bed with a reclaimed wood headboard. It sounded like a great concept, but the combination of the gray hue and super-wide bed posts just didn’t work with the rest of the room.

Oh, Hilari. You personality makes me smile…and so did your crazy times (all related to the antique bed) with carpenter Jeff Devlin of DIY’s I Hate My Bath.  The problem? Your camera challenges have so much personality, but they don’t have much substance.

Hilari Younger in Finished Space

Once the crazy interlocking panels were in place, this bed was the perfect centerpiece to Hilari’s Bali-themed yurt: The judges called it “a fantasy bed.”

Hilari Younger's Tropical Bed

What they didn’t like: The blank spaces on either side of the bed.

Bookcase Detail

The gold-leaf bookcase (which is amazing!) looked great, but didn’t create real storage space.  In the end, no one had a bad challenge, but Hilari’s tips were more style than substance, and the panel decided to send her home.

Now it’s down to two! Only one more week until we crown the newest HGTV Design Star…can’t wait!

Check back tomorrow for Meg and David’s reactions to tonight’s episode.

What did you think of tonight’s episode? Did the right designer go home? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 pm

277 Comments

1. So sad to see Hilari go….she is funny! She just shines on camera – so sad that she was sent home.

Bev on July 18, 2012 at 8:28 am
  2. Danielle had no treatment to her walls or her ceiling. Nothing. Nada. The only things on the walls were accessories. And she even tried to rip off Britany!

Guest on July 18, 2012 at 8:33 am
  3. HILARI FANS! If you are really outrage make your sentiments known. Vote for Hilari as Fan Favorite. Put your clicker to work. You can vote 10 times per day. Make comments on Facebook, too! Let's do it!

Hilari Fan on July 18, 2012 at 8:43 am
  4. TweetieKate, Sorry, I don't understand your rebuttal!!! I did not say that Hilari's camera challenge was not done well. I simply stated that it lacked design descriptions. A designer just cannot continue using the words, "It screams this or that…You have to use descriptions like "the warm wood tones add this to the room or the bright purple linens add this to the room, etc. If she had said those things, I'm sure she'd still be in the competition. On DS they're looking for growth in certain areas, and Hilari simply was not showing growth in explaining her room from a designer's perspective and not from a lay person's perspective!!! When you're watching a designer, you want to know why you should do certain things to a space and not just that you do them because "it screams (fill in the blank)".

MirrorMirror12 on July 18, 2012 at 8:44 am
  5. You are clearly an HGTV plant ! Hope you are well paid.

Disappointed on July 18, 2012 at 8:52 am
    • Lol!!! That would be lovely!!! I'm glad my blogging has caught your attention!!! Thanks!!!

MirrorMirror12 on July 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm
  6. Hilari is on the all-star season!

Laura on July 18, 2012 at 9:07 am
  7. Not true. She is mixed. African- American and White.

Guest on July 18, 2012 at 9:11 am
  8. I don't think that Genevieve is all that as a designer herself! She hasn't impressed me at all on her show! Therefore, her opinion about anyone else's designs fall mute to my ears. And I have not seen a good camera challenge from Brittany yet!

Kathy on July 18, 2012 at 9:11 am
  9. Yesterday i was soo upset to see the miserable results of the Yurrt contest, and a little comfort to read all these similar POV regarding Hillary and the other girls.
    I love watching HGTV TILL NOW !!!
    my disappointment is HUGE !
    How could Vern tell Danielle that he would love to be in her yurt, after all the times he had criticised others for not going with the Theme , for not making a cohesive design etc. Genevieve herself wasn't satisfied with Danielle's bed and THIS IS the yurts focal point !!!
    But what is done you cannot change now…
    The really lost many viewers on the way… they should read all these reviews to learn from their mistakes..

talya on July 18, 2012 at 9:15 am
  10. Boy this was a really tough one for the judges. I loved all three of these women. I was on pins and needles waiting for the judge's decision. I predicted early on that Danielle and Britany would be the final two. I was so sad to see Hilari go (but turns out we will see her in the All Stars – hooray!). But I am really glad Danielle and Britany are going to the finals. Danielle has had a couple of missteps in design and Britany has not had a good camera challenge, but their consistency has been better than in previous years. Meg and Emily both had weak slow starts. This is also the first time the final two are both women. I can't wait for next week. I have been rooting for Danielle from the beginning. Hope she nails it!

peggy on July 18, 2012 at 9:16 am