Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 17

Episode 8 Recap: Yurt Last Chance

Judges and Host With Guest Judge Mark Steines

Get it…yurt last chance? Har, har. I couldn’t help but carry on all the yurt-related puns used in tonight’s show. Tonight, the final three designers took on a brand new challenge for Design Star: turn a yurt into a dream bedroom suite. (Find out more about yurts here.)

Entertainment Tonight host Mark Steines joined the panel to see which one of the designers shares his hosting skills. Like always, some of the hosting moments (and yurt suites) were dreamier than others — here’s what went down on this week’s episode.

Britany Simon in her finished yurt

Britany’s yurt was my favorite of the week. She worked with Design on a Dime carpenter Joel West to create a modern beach bungalow look in her yurt. She set out to do something different from her usual glam style, and she delivered — it was still bold and graphic, but in a new way.  Her camera challenges had a few awkward moments, but she’s getting better there, too.

Britany Simon - Yurt After

Her room’s main feature was a rotating bed with hidden storage along the back. I loved where her head was at, but think it might be kind of hard to get to said storage if you were really (okay, theoretically) living in this yurt.  My favorite part of the room: The draped teal fabric, all gathered around an ethereal, white pendant.

Britany After - Photo Detail

Britany’s a designer-slash-photographer, and, though she’s referenced her skills a lot this season, this was the first week we’ve seen her prints in a room. Vern wasn’t impressed, though — he said he “wanted them to be a little more abstract.” Ouch! As Emily Henderson would say, Britany, you’ve been Yipped.

Danielle Colding With Carpenter Chip Wade

Moving to the neighbor yurt, Danielle was paired up with Elbow Room host Chip Wade, and they created a “global contemporary” bedroom suite.

Danielle Colding's Finished Yurt

Danielle’s room seemed the most finished, with lots of artistic touches and cozy accessories, like these layered rugs:

Layered Rugs in the Yurt

Chip and Danielle collaborated on this contemporary bed with a reclaimed wood headboard. It sounded like a great concept, but the combination of the gray hue and super-wide bed posts just didn’t work with the rest of the room.

Oh, Hilari. You personality makes me smile…and so did your crazy times (all related to the antique bed) with carpenter Jeff Devlin of DIY’s I Hate My Bath.  The problem? Your camera challenges have so much personality, but they don’t have much substance.

Hilari Younger in Finished Space

Once the crazy interlocking panels were in place, this bed was the perfect centerpiece to Hilari’s Bali-themed yurt: The judges called it “a fantasy bed.”

Hilari Younger's Tropical Bed

What they didn’t like: The blank spaces on either side of the bed.

Bookcase Detail

The gold-leaf bookcase (which is amazing!) looked great, but didn’t create real storage space.  In the end, no one had a bad challenge, but Hilari’s tips were more style than substance, and the panel decided to send her home.

Now it’s down to two! Only one more week until we crown the newest HGTV Design Star…can’t wait!

Check back tomorrow for Meg and David’s reactions to tonight’s episode.

What did you think of tonight’s episode? Did the right designer go home? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 pm

277 Comments

1. Yip said Hilari didn't bring info? WHAT? did he watch the video? The FIRST THING was that door design. I think she was the only one that brought a practical tip for the average homeowner. But no. You can see the designer panel fawning over Danielle and Britany. I knew a few episodes back these would be the final two. The panel already has their "Chosen One".

Roberta on July 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm
  2. I am so bummed that Hilari is gone!!!!! She should have been the one to win. I thought her designs were good and her personality was great! I think the judges made a mistake! I'm not as excited to watch the final episode as I would if Hilari was on the show.

HGTV fan from Texas on July 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm
  3. My sister said she stopped watching this sometime ago. There is no reason for Hilary to be gone.
    All of a sudden camera challenge doesn't matter? You cannot be in the top 3 with good camera challanges all through the competition with a good recovery from a mishap today and still get voted off!. Incredulous! Guess the majority of their viewers will not watch people of color. Maybe Latina, but definitely not people of color. Then the show should stop pretending they have an opportunity for a show even when they know they don't.. Don't have them compete just to say 'see we do have people of color". False advertisitng I think!. Hilary was very gracious. I am so sorry Hilary. Why is it so inconceivable that a black person can have a show and design for the audience? My sister said it was a racist show. I now believe her.

ena on July 17, 2012 at 6:59 pm
    • So true, but i am a Latin and i love she! I don care!

dayna on July 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm
    • I have to agree with Ena. As an African American I hate to see when the race card is pulled, because sometimes it is pulled when race has nothing to do with the issue. Unfortunately, that is the case in this issue of Design Star. I find it extremely hard to believe that in seven seasons of Design Star, there has never been an African American winner. There were four finalist. Out of the four, three were black. Now we are down to the last two and there is only one black. When it comes to probability, this does not by any means add up. So what else can a person do than to pull the race card? I think Hilary did, and has done, a fantastic job. It is too bad that she will not be able to have her own show, which she would be well deserving of, because she is simply "too black" for the viewers on HGTV. I will not be continuing to watch Design Star.

NoLongerViewing on July 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm
      • Yes there was… Several seasons ago. I think Kim was her name…could be wrong on the name

Toni on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm
  4. i LOVED Britany's yurt, Go teamBrit! So happy that she showed the judges that she really does have range. That bed was awesome too. her rooms always look so gorgeous and put together, but like spaces I would actually feel comfortable living in. Not that I would ever live in a yurt, but if i had to camp in one for a weekend i'd choose hers.

Hilari's yurt was gorgeous too, i loved it. I definitely don't agree that she should have been the one to go. :( She was so much fun to watch.

Juliana on July 17, 2012 at 7:00 pm
    • If you look at the picture of Brtiany's yurt all you see is the bed. I don't think there is anything fantasy about that bed. She once again had the worst camera challenge and yet she is still there.

Corvette Lady on July 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm
  5. I can't believe they kept Britney who has never had a good camera challenge and booted Hilari who was the Best on Camera. I thought you had to be good on camera to be a TV host. They said she didn
    't give enough info but she was having to cover for her carpenter that knocked part of the bed off and didn't have a chance to finish telling about her design.

BettyB on July 17, 2012 at 7:01 pm
    • I think Hilari gave info, plus I am sure once they have a show they also have a script. Much easier to read a script then to find a personality. I really don't know why they sent Hilari home, she should have won.

Corvette Lady on July 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm
  6. I really missed Candice. Bring back Candice and two new judges.

Design viewer on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm
  7. It has been obvious from the commercials for the show featuring Danielle and the Volvo commercials featuring her design that she is going to win. What do you think? Not the best choice considering her lack of camera charisma. Hillari has much better camera presence. And her design skills are a plus. She should have at least been one of the final two.

Coree on July 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm
    • I would still pick Danielle over Britany. But Hilari really was the best on camera.

Corvette Lady on July 17, 2012 at 7:32 pm
  8. I really started routing for Hilari after her 80's lounge. Every episode she showed growth and was very versatile in her design. I also liked her personality; I'm going to miss those funny and very real moments she has; for instance when she picked red for the color challenge and she wasn't thrilled because the red counters in her kitchen bombed the challenge before, her groan was hilarious. Even tonight when her bed fell apart during her camera challenge, she rolled with the punches. I wish her good luck in her future endeavors. I'm not disappointed, I like each of the last 3 ladies for different reasons. Hilari was my favorite.

Phillygirlinde on July 17, 2012 at 7:07 pm
  9. I agree with all these other posts! Hilari was the best! I never really like these reality show contests, but I loved Hilari. Her designs were beautiful and they were brought something new and fresh to the network. Britney and Danielle are so predictable. I don't want to watch another fake blond who seems to me rather elitist, and Danielle's overly emotional responses to everything are so annoying. Hilari was a real person and I think everyone can relate to her. She was the only one whose show I would want to watch!

Danielle on July 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm
  10. Hilary go home is a big mistake maybe she is to black! am i a Latin an i love she!

dayna on July 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm