Liz Gray

Contributor to HGTVersus

Jul 17

Episode 8 Recap: Yurt Last Chance

Judges and Host With Guest Judge Mark Steines

Get it…yurt last chance? Har, har. I couldn’t help but carry on all the yurt-related puns used in tonight’s show. Tonight, the final three designers took on a brand new challenge for Design Star: turn a yurt into a dream bedroom suite. (Find out more about yurts here.)

Entertainment Tonight host Mark Steines joined the panel to see which one of the designers shares his hosting skills. Like always, some of the hosting moments (and yurt suites) were dreamier than others — here’s what went down on this week’s episode.

Britany Simon in her finished yurt

Britany’s yurt was my favorite of the week. She worked with Design on a Dime carpenter Joel West to create a modern beach bungalow look in her yurt. She set out to do something different from her usual glam style, and she delivered — it was still bold and graphic, but in a new way.  Her camera challenges had a few awkward moments, but she’s getting better there, too.

Britany Simon - Yurt After

Her room’s main feature was a rotating bed with hidden storage along the back. I loved where her head was at, but think it might be kind of hard to get to said storage if you were really (okay, theoretically) living in this yurt.  My favorite part of the room: The draped teal fabric, all gathered around an ethereal, white pendant.

Britany After - Photo Detail

Britany’s a designer-slash-photographer, and, though she’s referenced her skills a lot this season, this was the first week we’ve seen her prints in a room. Vern wasn’t impressed, though — he said he “wanted them to be a little more abstract.” Ouch! As Emily Henderson would say, Britany, you’ve been Yipped.

Danielle Colding With Carpenter Chip Wade

Moving to the neighbor yurt, Danielle was paired up with Elbow Room host Chip Wade, and they created a “global contemporary” bedroom suite.

Danielle Colding's Finished Yurt

Danielle’s room seemed the most finished, with lots of artistic touches and cozy accessories, like these layered rugs:

Layered Rugs in the Yurt

Chip and Danielle collaborated on this contemporary bed with a reclaimed wood headboard. It sounded like a great concept, but the combination of the gray hue and super-wide bed posts just didn’t work with the rest of the room.

Oh, Hilari. You personality makes me smile…and so did your crazy times (all related to the antique bed) with carpenter Jeff Devlin of DIY’s I Hate My Bath.  The problem? Your camera challenges have so much personality, but they don’t have much substance.

Hilari Younger in Finished Space

Once the crazy interlocking panels were in place, this bed was the perfect centerpiece to Hilari’s Bali-themed yurt: The judges called it “a fantasy bed.”

Hilari Younger's Tropical Bed

What they didn’t like: The blank spaces on either side of the bed.

Bookcase Detail

The gold-leaf bookcase (which is amazing!) looked great, but didn’t create real storage space.  In the end, no one had a bad challenge, but Hilari’s tips were more style than substance, and the panel decided to send her home.

Now it’s down to two! Only one more week until we crown the newest HGTV Design Star…can’t wait!

Check back tomorrow for Meg and David’s reactions to tonight’s episode.

What did you think of tonight’s episode? Did the right designer go home? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below.

Posted at 10:00 pm

277 Comments

1. I am disappointed in the panel. I have watched since the first Design Star show. Hillary is a natural and full of personality. She would connect so well with the audiences of hgtv. Maybe it is time for us to vote off the Panel. Big mistake Vern an Gen!

Hgtv fan on July 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    • Do you really think the judges get the final say? I am beginnig to wonder because some of the things Gen said tonight made no sense at all. Maybe Hilari should be a judge next year, at least she would be fun to watch, unlike the ones they have now.

Corvette Lady on July 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm
  2. I am so so very upset that they did not keep Hilari! I totally feel like the only reason she was let go was because she did not have "the look" for a television show. It seems like it came down to keeping the "pretty girls." Well, in my view, Hilari is not only pretty, but also she is a fabulous designer who has shown more personality with her camera challenges than the remaining contestants – hands down. While I still like Britney and Danielle, I will not watch their show because the judges clearly allowed something more to factor into their decision today. So sad.

icewe2 on July 17, 2012 at 7:17 pm
  3. SPOILER ! DANIELLE WINS!!!! DANIELLE WINS!!!!! DANIELLE WINS!!!!!! DANIELLE WINS!!! They screwed up in the editing room and showed too much from the final episode. If you see the previews that HGTV shows for next week at the end of tonight's episode, They show confetti falling and then show a quick shot of Britney and Danielle. If you watch it in slow motion, you see that Britney is clapping as Danielle( not clapping at all) is turning toward Britney to give her a hug. No one applauds for themselves while the person they beat goes to give them a hug.

Frank on July 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm
  4. Agree with pretty much everyone – I thought Hilari did the best! Her design was great AND she is great on camera – very shocked! I've always liked Britney, so I'm glad she made it though! Hoping she can step it up for the on-camera stuff in the finale! :) Danielle seems nice, but I don't think I really want her to win – she hasn't done as well throughout the season!

Molly on July 17, 2012 at 7:21 pm
  5. What a disappointment. I thought for sure that it would be down to Brittany and Hillari. I cant believe that they sent Hillari home. Have they so quickly forgotten how many times Danielle screwed up. Ruining a wall by trying to wallpaper it the last minute and then tearing it down and making a mess of the wall and then trying to cover it up with curtains. What about all of the rooms she didn't even complete. For some reason they seem to like her. There was no comraderie between her and her carpenter Chip tonight. She kept referring to the bed she and Chip built. What a joke. She doesnt seem to work well with anyone. Her yurt tonight look like an eccentric world traveler just threw a bunch of junk they collected into a room. Meanwhile Vern is just fawning all over her. The bed looked ridiculous. I also loved the comment by the judges that it was great that Danielle brought some of the outside in by Danielle putting a tropical plant in her room, but when they reviewed Brittanys room they critized her photos of plants that were actually growing outside of her yurt it wasn't abstract enough. Sadly enough I think it is obvious that Danielle will be the winner.

Trish on July 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm
  6. So excited to see Britany get to the finals. So well deserved and her yurt was inventive and a new side to her that we haven't seen. She also did great on her camera challenges. She HAS to take home this win, she is superb!!!!! GO TEAM BRITANY!

Debbie on July 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm
  7. Definitely the wrong decision!!! I loved Hilari's design, and she did the best job on camera. What a bad decision:(

Jamie on July 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm
  8. So sad to see Hilari go too, I thought she and Britney deserved to make it to the finals. Danielle's space was once again very boring with little imagination and color, and there is just something about her that bothers me. Britney should go all the way, GO BRIT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnsonsFamily on July 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm
  9. I thought Hillari was going to win-she is so different from past winners that have not been successful.But instead they chose the two that are like all the others-more of the same.It's like the viewers are in a different universe than the judges-how are we supposed to react when we all have obviously responded so well to Hillari's charisma,and she's the one that get's sent home? Maybe it is time for new judges-I am so disappointed with this show.

Thommy on July 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm
  10. Vern and Genevieve, you made the absolutely wrong decision in sending Hilari home this week. She is the only designer I am interested in watching in the future – she is genuine, funny, engaging, and charmingly rolls with the punches. She always holds my interest with her designs and commentary. She plans well, has a great eye, is mature, and works so well with others. I've loved watching her and hope she gets her own show. Her designs are as vibrant as is her personality. The remaining two designers are boring to watch and hear. They are both painfully awkward on camera. Danielle cries frequently (can't handle pressure), is a terrible planner, and her designs are often unfinished or tacky. Britney is just boring. Her designs are not inspiring – they're just ho-hum and I have zero interest in watching the finale or any shows with them. I hope someone at HGTV with authority recognizes how special Hilari is and gives her her own show.

Sandy Goodmark on July 17, 2012 at 7:39 pm